“Great Pizza and Cocktails”
Review of Union Pizzeria

Union Pizzeria
Ranked #14 of 287 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Union is a great spot for a casual meal or drink. Wood fired pizzas are the best items on the menu and can be enjoyed at the bar with a great craft cocktail or beer.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

What a disappointment. First the food. If you enjoy pizza, you are in for surprise - this restaurant tells you what kind of pizza you can order. They serve about 10 different 14" pizzas basically for one person ( in the $15 range). The thin crust is ok, but don't ask for any additions to their choices - no onions, no fresh tomatoes. Lucky, I could have "wild" mushroom (plain mushrooms apparently are not good enough even though I defy you to tell the difference). No tomatoes - not even tomato sauce - but lots of salt. I asked if they could add onion - the answer was no, but they could put it on the side. (Tell me the logic of that one). They say they are "authentic". I have eaten pizza throughout Italy and could always get my choice of ingredients. Second the service was excellent. Third, the decor - Picture 20-25 ft. ceilings - it is like a warehouse which creates noise beyond words. The word snobbery comes from the restaurant telling you that they know what you should eat and how you should eat it. You want thin pizza - there are tons of Chicago pizza restaurants who can deliver thin crackly tasty crusts with toppings of your choice. One more thing, if you don't want pizza, they offer about 5 choices of strange entrees. Forget this one.

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I met my lifelong friend here (we haven't seen one another in 3 years). We visited for 3 hours and felt not pressure at all. The food was great. The service was quite nice. It became a bit loud around 8 just from all of the people. There was a very nice energy from the group.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We went to the pizzeria as another reviewer stated that it was "authetic" Italian pizza. I have been to Italy 4 times, and while this is close, it is not authentic. It is very think, but the crust is very cracker like and not chewy like in Italy. The space is industrial, with a nice seating area near the bar if you need to wait for a table. It is family friendly, with lots of families there. They have a good salad menu as well. The space is a bit cold though, as if they didn't think the loft/industrial look all the way through. It's not quite there.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I moved to Evanston last fall, and we have been searching for a pizza place we liked. We lived near NYC, so we had high expectations that kept getting dashed. Chicago style pizza is one thing, and there are plenty of places that offer it here in Evanston; however, Union Pizzeria is the first thin crust pizza we have found that unites a high quality and well made crust with quality ingredients with a creative menu.

They have their own kiln-like brick/stone pizza oven, and the thin crust is the best we have eaten here in Evanston.

The pricing is a little bit higher than we would like to pay for a pizza, but you get what you pay for. If you want to pay twelve to fifteen dollars for a large pizza, then go elsewhere. Union's pizzas are medium in size for about fifteen dollars depending on the toppings.

Anyway, I was thrilled to find some good pizza, so I wanted to share it with the world.