“A Little Gem In Evanson!”

Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Wow! Was I surprised. What a great little "Boutique Hotel" They just re-opened after more renovation and construction. This is what you will find all over Europe. Civilized, friendly, warm and fun. Michael Pure the owner and his trusty GM Kathryn really go all out to personalize your stay. Your wish is their command. Michael has spent some real money to provide a conservative modern interior design. Great colors, beautiful crown molding. The place is nicely decorated. The elevator is a historic work in progress, but certainly quaint. Don't be afraid of it. It's been around longer than most of us, and I am 73. I was in room 504. If I were your I would request that room. It's a small suite. Kathryn says it her favorite. The hotel is within walking distance of many excellent restaurants. Have your coffee and pastry in the Library for breakfast. There is also a nice little courtyard for a small Champagne party. What a great spot to celebrate something.
If I lived in the area I would use this little hotel of most of my small events.

As a visitor to Evanston, or Northwestern you must make this place a "must stay". We love it.

Room Tip: You must request 504
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron C

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a quaint little hotel, with a very old world vibe. It's rooms were small but comfortable. The bed was lovely and the free wifi was most welcome.

The only complaint I would have is you could hear the pipework of the room above us when the room above us flushed their toilet.

The service was fine and the complimentary continental breakfast was very good with a nice selection of pastries.

I would recommend this place for someone who wants a nice hotel outside of the hustle and bustle of Chicago but still has easy access to the EL for a city break.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billy F
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We came here to attend my father's funeral. Upon registration, it was about 9:00 PM, and I had a strange experience with the desk clerk who was working that night. I asked him to give me two keys so I could make sure that I had a really quiet room as it was a very stressful time. As I was looking at the second room, he barged in and said, "well, have you decided yet?" and was impatient and said he needed to know an answer. I didn't feel like being intimidated, so maybe I was not so pleasant back, I don't remember. It was a strange exchange. Fast forward to the next morning, and the most wonderful and charming Manager greeted me and asked me if everything was OK with my stay. I told her what had happened the night before, and she was absolutely horrified. She said that did not at all represent the feel of their hotel, and offered me a very generous upgrade! As a matter of fact, she accompanied me to make sure that I received the best treatment possible after what had happened the night before. My room was beautiful with hardwood polished matching furniture, a beautiful bed with four posters that was an absolute dream to sleep in, very high quality sheets and matress, a sofa, very modern tv, etc. The bathroom was gorgeous, definitely something you would find in a four or five star hotel. Everything new. the main room, is also wonderful. If you don't make it for breakfast, you can ask for some pastries and there is really good quality (I am a coffee lover) freshly brewed coffee always available in the morning. The baker, who bakes everything in house, is from Belfort France, so hence the superior quality of their morning pastries. It is beautifully decorated with antiques, which lends a special character to the room. The only possible negative is the elevator, it is a quirky old thing with an accordian style outer door (meaning that it pulls out and then goes back when the elevator starts moving) and a slightly heavy inner door. It is not particularly noisy to open and shut the outer door, it is just kind of a pain. It is probably from the 1930's, 1940's, which also adds to the antique character of the hotel. The location of the hotel is fantastic, just 3 or 4 blocks away from all the happening places in Evanston. It is safe for women to walk around at night alone, we never felt threatened. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel is delightfully peaceful. The rooms are cozy but very comfortable. If you like a slower pace, this is the place -- there is no express check in or out (you may have to wait in line as there is a small, one person office). But I slept well (comfy beds!) and loved the location. Close to the L and walking distance to downtown Evanston. There are two parking lots in the back, and I was slightly disappointed that the web-site didn't say anything about $10.00 for parking per night, but in the Chicago area this is pretty cheap. The breakfast was better than most, offering pastries that appeared to come from a real bakery, not some food distributor warehouse.

I will stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Joan B
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband surprised me for my birthday with a weekend away. Margarita European Inn was a nice change from our usual stays in chain hotels. Very nice staff, charming décor, updated bathrooms, and comfortable accommodations. It's within walking distance to restaurants, stores, and the lake front. We very much enjoyed the breakfast served in the morning also.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jess F
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel not knowing what to expect. We found the parking in the back by happenstance, and honestly, the parking is the only drawback to the hotel. The rooms were on the small side, but we weren't planning a party - we were there to sleep and change clothes. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom updated, and the lobby, library, and parlor were great features.

The front desk staff were friendly and helpful in giving suggestions for wandering in the area. Highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nmarie23
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I want to start by saying that all of the staff at the Inn were very friendly and the location is perfect. The Inn itself - well, it could really be nice, but even after the renovations, it still needs work.

Cons:

* There is junk and trash everywhere. If you park in the back of the Inn and walk around to the entrance, you will see all the junk on the back decks of the hotel - old sinks, ladders, etc. If you need to use the elevator from the bottom level, you will encounter all of the trash and old equipment from the former restaurant. On the top floor there is a door leading to the roof - look out that window and you will see more trash and junky old sinks and machine parts. It's weird.

* The rooms have been renovated and the bathrooms, carpeting and paint were all very nice. That said, things like cleaning the filthy windows seemed to be overlooked. And the furniture choices are a little odd - for example, the tv was sitting on a rickety little table facing the sofa. The sofa would be a nice place to watch tv, but there were no side tables or coffee tables to make it really usable space.

* Speaking of the windows - the ones that opened did not have screens, so be careful if you're traveling with little ones.

* Clean up the check-in area - the desk and everything in this room is in disarray. It doesn't make the right impression.

* Security seems lax. Anyone can walk in the front door and most of the time the front desk was not staffed. I think they lock the front door at a certain time, but the actual door handle is broken, so I'm sure it would be easy enough to get in.

* We received our quote for the reservation, but at check-out they tacked on a $5 per night hotel charge. There is no explanation for the charge and an inquiry email to the Inn went unanswered.

Bottom line, this place could be really charming, but it's really rough around the edges. It's strange to me that they would remodel some things, but not do other small things like get rid of the junk and clean the windows. The rates are not inexpensive and that makes it even harder to overlook the glaring issues. Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn and save yourself the disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Stephanie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 7 in Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!