“Excellent French fare affordably priced”
Review of Bistro Bordeaux L'Authentique - CLOSED

Bistro Bordeaux L'Authentique
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chicago
Transit: Purple line and Metra station 4 minutes walk east from Davis station.
Description: The philosophy of the menu at Bistro Bordeaux is an expression of our French culinary heritage, for which we have a profound admiration. The support of our local farmers allows us to use the freshest produce and seafood, just as one would find in the markets in the south of France. The menu showcases the freshness of these pure ingredients through simple, flavorful combinations
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

A welcoming neighborhood bistro, with excellent food and service. Menu is not extensive, but very approachable. Both fish and meats were well executed. Very nice wine list, and well priced. Service was attentive, without being overbearing. If it's nice out, ask for one of the few sidewalk tables.

2  Thank trvlalot312

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very cozy and warm atmosphere greets you upon entering. Dare I say "It's like going back to a favorite neighborhood Parisian bistro".
The owner takes pride in creating a relaxed atmosphere with tasty bistro fare. He is very attentive to his customers. Very often there are specials involving wine and food pairings. Very busy on the weekends but laid back during the week when fixed price menu provides an excellent value. Wines are fairly priced and can be easily matched to the cuisine. Fresh oysters when in season are a nice start as is the charcuterie which is homemade. Favorite entrees include the papillote sea bass and gnocchi with lamb. Deserts are very tasty as well starting with the profiteroles with chocolate, creme brûlée and my favorite the dark chocolate terrine with fresh raspberry.
This is such a solid restaurant that consistently serves up delicious food.
We enjoy returning.
Logistics, as for parking there are meters on the street but we usually use the lot behind the library across the street which takes plastic and can cover you for two hours. More if arriving after 7pm.

1  Thank Iceman14
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Met a friend in Chicago and we wanted to go to a French restaurant. His mother is French and I am also French. This restaurant was a lot of fun for us, just for the setting to start. It was like being in Paris, in a little local restaurant. Yep, the tables are that close!
Anyway, we had their charcuterie as an hors d'oeuvres, and the owner who also was our waiter, told us that they were all made in house. Just delicious. I had the bouillabaisse, which was not the best I ever had, but definitely had the right flavours, with a hint of Pernod. We passed on the desserts, as we were very full. Great wine selections. Would love to try their sister restaurant Creperie Saint-Germain, if or when I return to Chicago. The service was excellent, no French attitude! :)

2  Thank MadoToo
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First trip to Evanston, touring colleges with our daughter. Cozy atmosphere and very nice wine list (by the glass too as I was the only adult!) and great food. We started with classics, escargot and French Onion Soup. Both were excellent and served with nice crusty & warm bread. Our waiter, Luke, was very attentive. I had a glass of Muscadet followed by a glass of Gigondas, not wines you would find by the glass on every wine list out there. We had a steak frite, and a homemade pasta dish with braised lamb shoulder, poached pears, and spinach. Even the Creme Brulee and coffee were excellent. Don't understand the other reviews unless they hit a bad night or don't like French food. Would visit again.

1  Thank ConnieH440
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My girlfriend and I were not sure what the hype was about. We had a very average dinner here. The steaks were chewy thought he frites were very nice. Both of our appetizers were average, My pastry of my profiteroles were heavy when they should have been light. The service was also only okay. All in all, it was quite average when compared with other Evanston restaurants I have been to.