“Large suites (get a corner); convenient location, inconvenient parking”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Best choice in Evanston travelling with family. The corner suites are very spacious and can comfortably fit a family of 4. If you can get the presidential suite it's even bigger, with a large dining area, and not that much more expensive. Great location, only a short walk from downtown restaurants, shops and movie theater, and just a little more to Northwestern University and the lake. The parking lot is inconvenient though -- the hotel doesn't really have one, so you use the public parking next door for $13 a day with in and out privileges, but you have to validate the card at reception every time.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is the second time in 3 years that I stayed here, and once more I enjoyed my stay. The hotel is very conveniently located in downtown Evanston, near the Davis Street stations on both Metra UP North line and the CTA Purple Line. It's only a little more than 1-1/2 blocks walk north from either station.

The hotel staff was friendly, and check-in and check-out were both easy and professional experiences. My room was comfortable and adequately sized. The view to the west left something to be desired, but then I wasn't there for the view. The property is in a vibrant suburban neighborhood, so there are places to go and things to do in town if one wants to take a walk. There are also laundry machines onsite, which was one reason I chose this hotel as I was at the point in my 2-week trip that I had to wash my clothes.

Overall, as long as the price is right, this hotel comes highly recommended for a Chicago-area stay. It generally will be cheaper than one might find in the Loop, and it's worth the 11-mile trip on the train.

Room Tip: If you care about the view you probably don't want to face west. But then not sure if facing the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I liked the fact that it was centrally located. The hotel was average and the room toward the front of the hotel was a bit noisy with the Air Conditioning on. I'm not sure if it's the same toward the back of the hotel, since it is L shaped.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I didn't get to stay here. My review is about the run-around I got and a caution to other travelers. My flight to Illinois from NYC was cancelled because the airport was shut down due to dangerous weather conditions. I called the hotel to cancel my reservation. The hotel staff said that I would receive a full refund, but I had to cancel thru Orbitz since that is how I made my reservation. So I did cancel via Orbitz who told me I would not receive any refund for my 3 night stay. They claimed this was the hotel's policy. I again called the hotel and was told I needed to speak w/ the business manager. However, he was not available although I called during business hours. Incidentally, it was impossible to get Orbitz on the phone. After several attempts, I filed a dispute through my credit card company. The lesson for me, don't book through orbitz. Don't book at Hilton.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Adrian B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

I am sorry to hear that due to inclement weather in NY, you were not able to stay here. We have a wonderful property here in Evanston, IL and I wish that you we able to experience our hotel. I realize that you had difficulty getting refunded through Orbitz as it can be a challenge when booking through a third party due to their policies. If you still haven't resolved this issue with Orbitz, please contact me directly and I will assist you in getting the proper resolution. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you to Chicago.

Adrian Brewington
(847) 475-6400

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel provides efficient service and the amenities you might need. The internet works well and easy on all types of devices at the same time. Room service is effective although not available 24 hours. They provide good value for the money.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank Barry R
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My son and I stayed for one night at the Hilton Garden Inn in Evanston, Illinois. The hotel is modern, rather large and very clean. The staff at the front desk were friendly and courteous. Our room was very clean and neat, had 2 queen size beds, as well as a refrigerator and a "Keurig" coffee maker. The hotel was very quiet, and we were not disturbed at night by any noise, in the hall or by our neighbors on either side of our room. The hotel does have a restaurant, but we did not use it. It is a very short drive (about 5 minutes) from Northwestern University. The only negative is the expensive parking ($13. self park) in a garage behind the hotel that is a public garage so I'm not sure if it was very secure overnight. However, I guess this is very close to Chicago, and so seems to be a common occurrence. That is the first time I have ever paid for parking at a Hilton Garden Inn.....

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor (I believe the hotel has 5 floors) and our room was very quiet. It was t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stay at this Hilton Garden often and am never disappointed. My job has offices in the area, so we fly in. Very friendly staff and rooms are comfy. Walking distance from many restaurants, both quick eats and more formal dining. They recently remodeled the bar area, which is much improved over what it used to be with plenty of space for a group to spread out and enjoy a drink after work or dinner.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 7 in Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston? Share your experiences!