“staff very helpful in giving directions to train station...”
Review of Super 8 Chicago IL

Super 8 Chicago IL
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Evanston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Detroit
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I've stayed at this place several times. It's a no frills, value oriented place that is close to Loyola University and hip Rogers Park neighborhood. Can't bet the price, free continental breakfast and free parking. The beds are very comfortable. Don't expect anything fancy.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Reviewed 10 July 2014

A group of friends and I chose this hotel because we had a last minute change of plans and it was 4th of July weekend. We thought that this would be a good an affordable option but after going through the hell I have been put through I would like to say that the Red Roof Hotel in downtown is a much better option both customer service wise and monetary wise.

Two major issues that I would like to share:
1) Reservation was made through their 800 number, which is the first number that appears when you do a google search. However, we were frowned upon when we went to check in and communicated to the clerk that we made the reservation through the 800 number. I do have to say that he was nice enough to allows us to check in one hour early. The major misunderstanding with our stay was only clear when we checked out and were given an invoice for twice the amount of what we had been told they would charge us! This was not done by any of the employees at this location but I got the impression that they do NOT communicate with Super 8: the company, which in turn makes our experience as guests a very bad one.

2) My second issue happened after getting back home and realizing that I had been charged for one extra room. I did not request the service for an extra room and they did apologize for the error when I called them to ask for an explanation. One thing that I did not like at all was that I was given a couple of 800 numbers to call to try to resolve the issue. And when I finally got through to someone, the person was very rude and unprofessional. He told me that I couldn't get an electronic refund and that I would have to wait 2 weeks to get a check in the mail. That is very strange and a requested *(for a second time) to get electronic funds. He said that there was nothing he could do and that I should be happy to get the money back. Uhmmm…I don't think I should be happy because they should NOT have taken it out in the first place. What a shame and what a bad experience. I finally spoke to somebody in the hotel and they assured me they would refund it. I have yet to see that, but I am hopeful they will.

So, overall. I give it a "terrible" score: had they been more professional about it I would have been less upset but the person on the phone was pretty much the opposite of what a Customer Service Rep. should be.

AVOID!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were stuck staying at this Super 8 in the northern section of the Chicago area because we had to make a reservation at the last minute on a busy weekend. We needed something north of downtown and this was all that we could find. It was really an overwhelmingly bad place to stay. My expectations weren't high, but this place was really worn and pretty dirty looking. The rooms were dark and had a damp feel to them. The bath was pretty bad, with a tub which had a finish that was flaking off and tile that did not look at all clean on the floor. The price was just as high as many much nicer hotels, so that added insult to injury. I would not recommend this motel, and next time I would stay farther out of town if I had to in order to avoid paying a high price for a really unpleasant and shabby room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Super 8 Chicago IL? Share your experiences!