“Great Italian Dining in a very casual place”
Review of Dave's Italian Kitchen - CLOSED

Dave's Italian Kitchen
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dave's Italian Kitchen is B.Y.O.B.!
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife an I have been here several times over the last two years. Each time, we have enjoyed this place very much. While their entire menu looks great, we have tried several pasta dishes. My wife likes their spaghetti carbonara and I have had their veal marsalla,. Both are excellent. The service is always friendly and efficient. Their wine list has something for everyone. Don't know many places where you can get a nice bottle of Malbec for $19 to enjoy with your dinner. While parking can be a challenge, it is available close by. Definitely recommend this place. We will be returning more often.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was in Evanston on business and my colleague suggested Dave's. On a Friday night, it was busy, fun, family oriented, unpretentious. Good basic Italian & generous wine pours. I'd go again.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am still in shock. How could a restaurant that has been a local favorite for so long drop so low?
First, there seemed to be only one server who was attending to the entire restaurant. He was a pleasant young man, but very green. He had been only five days on the job, had received zero training (by his own admission), did not know or understand the menu well. Our bottle of wine was just plonked on the table, no effort to check whether this wine was good or not. It took 35 minutes for salads to arrive, and that only after I spoke with the manager on duty, who was very defensive, and had just started to serve tables himself. (Prior to this, he was merely focused on the carry-our business, which struck me as a very poor priority for the restaurant, when there were several seated tables unserved). The salads were awful: it felt like some body had crammed the plate with the various salad items without caring to toss the dressing evenly
A table next to ours received their appetizers and main courses much before ours.
I had ordered the pasta diavolo with seafood. After waiting for so long the server came out to ask what sauce I wanted on the pasta I had assumed that by ordering pasta diavolo, I would expect the sauce to be a spicy sauce, which is what one expects! My colleague ordered the pesto baked chicken- the server wrote it on the order ticket as pesto baked pasta, and came to ask what type of pasta my colleague would prefer!
We were just glad to eat and leave- the seafood was terrible. At least the server had the decency to apologize frequently, but I do not believe that it was his fault as much of the restaurant management who are cutting corners by inadequate training and overstretchingresources. I would hold the manager (he struck me as especially lame, and looked as guilty as sin when we were leaving) accountable for not showing leadership, being of very little help when it was really needed on the restaurant floor and not accepting responsibility by running away to his cosy perch behind the carry out desk while the rest of the restaurant floundered
I hope owner reads this and makes necessary changes if he has any respect for his guests

1  Thank fabianannoyed
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've been coming to Dave's since I was a kid and this place is as good now as it ever has been. A real institution of Evanston I am always amazed at how wonderful the food is and how incredible of a value this place provides.

Great for a date, for a night out with family or just to catch up with friends. This is an "all of the above" success of a restaurant and I look forward to continuing to dine here for decades to come.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The food is fresh(not out of a can) and well seasoned. Come here every time I am in Evanston. Good place to take a large group of people. Little of everything for meat lovers, pasta lovers, vegetarians etc.