“Best meatball in town”
Review of Trattoria Demi

Trattoria Demi
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Demi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 284 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is the third time we've dined here and I thought I'd put in a review and I won't beat around the bush. Service is great and they will accommodate requests to alter menu items or share items. The meatballs are great. I've tried them at every Italian joint in Evanston, these are among the best. Last but not least, the prices are very reasonable. The ambiance is homey and relaxing, a nice place to go and have a convivial meal with friends and/or family.

There are newer reviews for Trattoria Demi

Reviewed 6 February 2014

In a town over saturated with restaurants, this one is a must visit. It's so close to an authentic Italian cafe, you will think you've left the country. The marinara sauce is light and flavorful, not heavy and pastey, like so much Italian these days. I was told everything is made fresh to order, so I could customize to fit my vegetarian diet. The baked rigatoni was the best I've ever had...a cheesy, gooey delight! The bread was served warm and with just the right combination of crispy crust and soft center. My friend had an amazing mixed green salad with homemade dressing, and my kids loved the thin crust pizza that was just their size. Service was more like fine dining then family restaurant. The hazelnut tart dessert served warm with espresso gelato was heavenly. Save room for it. The house red wine was a perfect blend. Such a great atmosphere, small and homey, yet candle lit and quaint, with the perfect Italian music soundtrack. A don't miss in Evanston. Hope to make it back for the outdoor cafe in the summer!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My boyfriend and I planned to have dinner on a recent Sunday night at Edzo’s but little did we know they closed at 4pm; we arrive at 7pm. So after perusing the menu posted at Trattoria Demi next door, we decided to try it. Discalimer: I was raised by an Italian Grandmother and Mother so am very, very fussy about my Italian food. Anyway I like the quaint, cozy ambiance of the place; that was nice for a quiet dinner with my boyfriend but that’s the best I can say about this place. I got the Spinach Lasagna with a glass of hot Chai tea. The tea was the Stash Black Chai and thus good. Plus they were nice enough to offer cream which I appreciated. We were offered bread with olive oil and parmesan cheese but the bread was blah. And unfortunately the Spinach Lasagna was on par with a frozen dinner. It was swimming in a very watery sauce which was supposed to be a tomato cream sauce but I could barely taste the tomato or cream. The lasagna itself was also very bland; not enough flavor of any kind and definitely not enough spinach. My boyfriend got the Tortellini filled with veal in a cream sauce. I did not try it but he said it was good. Two dinners and one glass of hot tea (my boyfriend had tap water) came to $32.50 without tip. Most definitely not worth it so I cannot recommend the place.

1  Thank ttiottn1
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Don't let the simple ambiance fool you. While not fancy by any means Tratttoria Demi matches the notion of an Italian trattoria perfectly: simple food; skillfully prepared; rich flavors; and, served with heart and a smile. This won't break the bank or overwhelm your date but you sure won't be disappointed. One visit made us feel like regulars...we'll be back!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I live in downtown Evanston, the second urban setting in the Chicagoland area. I found this 20 year old Italian resturant that's very cozy, not to noisey and has really good food . We had the lamb shank, meatballs, pear salad all very nicely presented. Fast, clean and reasonably priced. When in doubt where to go when in Evanston - I highly recommend Trattoria Demi .