1,296 results
All reviewsnorthwestern universitypurple linevalet parkingsmall bathroomnice hotellake michiganolder hotelwhole foodswalking distancevalet servicelocation is greatheart of downtownthe air conditioningfew blockshistoric hotelfitness centernu
Reviewed 7 August 2014

If you'd like to have the comforts of home, with a little VIP added to it, I suggest The Hilton Orrington/ Evanston, IL. Professional, Quiet, Clean, Refreshing,Classy, Elegant, and reasonably priced. Food is wonderful, the staff is courteous and accommodating! I highly recommend The Hilton Hotels wherever you travel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed at the Hilton Orrington on several prior occasions while visiting relatives in the area and the hotel is consistently very good. Its in the middle of downtown Evanston, close to plenty of shopping/dining and about a block from the start of Northwestern University. Also, its about 2 block to "L" metro. The staff are quite helpful/friendly. We usually drive and there is no onsite self parking so we end up using the somewhat pricey valet service. The hotel does accept, for a fee, small pets. The rooms are certainly quite clean and the carpet looks to have been replaced recently. However, as other reviewers have noted, the bathrooms are certainly small with sink (and only available shelf) right next to the toilet so its easy to inadvertently knock items into the toilet. The onsite gym, which we used twice on this trip, is clean and fairly complete with nice cardio and weight equipment. We only had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the continental breakfast was tasty. One pet peeve: I continue to find it irritating when hotels, such as this one, charge for wifi (~$5 -$10) in the room. Overall we find it to be a very good hotel in a great location for our needs (proximity to our relatives and we can stay there with our small dog).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I spent three nights at the Hilton Orrington to attend a wedding. The hotel is an older building that has been renovated very nicely. The room was clean and well furnished. The only problem with the room was the tiny bathroom. The very small sink was directly beside the the toilet which was directly beside the bathtub. In addition to that a corner behind the sink protruded out, thus giving less room at the sink and causing the mirror in the bathroom to be placed on a wall on the side of the sink. This made shaving in the morning very inconvenient. I had to stand at an angle with my leg against the toilet bowl in order to see in the mirror for shaving. The room number was 619.
The public facilities in the hotel were very good. It had a very convenient location for restaurants and some shopping. It was withing walking distance to Northwestern University. If it was not for the very cramped bathroom, I would have rated the hotel five stars.

Room Tip: free wifi available in bar area. Breakfast in hotel was excellent and not expensive.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Whenever my kids and I travel to Chicago, which is often several times a year, we almost always stay here. Between the beautiful, Art-Deco decor of the lobby, the excellent restaurant and the fact that about a hundred more (literally) are all within a few blocks of the hotel, as well as the incredibly helpful staff, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Our home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

For a Hilton, one might expect a little more than they receive. This is the second time in 3 years that I have stayed at this property. The value was OK for a weekend night, but the rooms (the one I had this time and another I had the last stay there) are quite small. I guess this could be considered a boutique type hotel. It is about what one would expect if staying in the heart of Manhattan in NYC.

I had to wait a while for check-in, as there was someone in front of me asking a lot of questions he could have had answered had he gone to his room and read the hotel's information book. I was given a coupon upon check-in for a free drink, which I did claim for a Coke in the hotel bar. Check-out was quick though.

The hotel is in a vibrant late night type neighborhood with many restaurants, ice cream parlors, and other activities. So one can come out of the cocoon they call a room and get some fresh air if desired. This property is also about 3 blocks from the CTA Purple Line and Metra UP-North Line Davis Street stations, so if the hotel is priced right it may be a good deal and worth the train ride to beat the prices in the Chicago Loop.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo