“very disapointed, 4/10, does not live up to the reputation”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The New Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Shalfleet
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Shanklin, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very disapointed, 4/10, does not live up to the reputation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This Mothers day I wanted to take my Mum, my wife, and my grandmother for a meal (with my 2 kids and grandfather in tow). After discovering that the New Inn in shalfleet had won accolades from the good pub guide, we booked a table a week in advance for 6pm. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly middle aged guy, who on studying the bookings board, informed me there was no booking for our party. After checking several other names with me, there was no issue, he gave us someone else's table who was booked for an hour after us. Not a good start, I also felt as though we may be rushed to get the other group in. Next step...lets hopes this goes better.....drinks! Only Carlsberg on tap for the beer/lager drinkers, and bud or corona in bottles. There were lots of wine choices ranging up to £100 a bottle, and 4/5 ale/bitters on tap but were not wine drinkers, nor are we ale drinkers so our choice was limited and the drinks we had would not have been our preferred choices. Ok....bad start....food! the main menu was very limited, but the specials board gave some variety. No kids menu was available, but there was a menu for "small appetites". Unfortunately my young kids do not have the pallet for fancy food, and would only opt for the sausages with chips and peas. Both wanted beans instead of peas but we were informed they do not serve beans...oh well. My wife is fussy and decided the menu was not to her taste, but the pie seemed would be ok. 4 of the party opted for the beef roast, but we were informed all of the beef had sold out at lunch time so this was no longer available....back to the menu it was then to pick out what we would eat, not what we would like or fancied. The barman recommended the pork belly, so my Mum and I chose that due to lack of inspiration. There was an acceptable wait for the food to arrive, but when it did we all found our meals to be very well cooked and delicious, and presented nicely. I give this visit 4/10 purely on the food we were served and friendly staff, as we found the atmosphere lacking, and the general decor a bit too gastro pub for a place with age and history. We were expecting a little more individuality and quaintness. The food was nice, but I would say the main dishes were around £2/£3 over what you might pay elsewhere, and a little on the reserved side in respect to size of the servings. 4 of us had dessert which consisted of 2 ice creams given the thumbs up, a treacle sponge which was small but great, and a brownie which was stodgy and lacking flavour (not good at £5,25 each). Ok...coffee would be good now to settle our tummies. We looked at the coffee menu consisting of around 10 different choices. Four of us opted for coffee and made our choices, only to be informed "the coffee machine is broken, well, not actually broken, just the drink comes out cold!!" Oh dear Cheque please. The bill come to just shy of £130. We had 2 Pints Carlsberg, 8 small cokes, 1 large coke, 1 bottle of bud, 1 small sherry, 1 small rose wine, 3 (normal) main dish, 4 "small appetite" dishes, 2 ice creams, 2 desserts. Although not a complete disaster, I can easily list 20 other places I would of prefered to eat at on the island, and would be £15 in pocket too. Im sorry New Inn, I just dont feel there was much special about our visit to comment on.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Mottymotto

East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Best out of the 4 owned by this company on the IOW.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We ate here on the 11th March and the manageress could not have been more helpful, a lovely Lady, the atmosphere was warm and friendly and the food was pretty good as well. Its the best out of the four pubs owned by this IOW company, that's not to say its great food, just better than the rest. One thing that bugs me about the menu is when they state 'fishcakes' and then give you just the one, my chicken was also quite dry.
Its one of those pubs that's sort of alright and one would go back but its certainly not outstanding.

• Visited March 2014
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

A drizzly week day evening my partner and I popped in for dinner.

Coming in side from the damp outside we were greeted by a mature lady who was very welcoming. She served us our drinks and took us to our table which was in a room the the right of the bar. We were the only couple dining in this area of the pub - but this did not bother us as we would rather sit somewhere quieter as they did seem rather busy.

We looked through the menu - which was not very big - but this indicates that all the food is fresh and made to order so not a problem. We both ordered the fishcakes.

When the food came I was slightly gobsmacked. Two small fishcakes sat on top of a large bed of salad, a wedge of lemon and slice of bread. I felt disappointed with the amount we had paid for what came out. However, the fishcakes were lovely! Obviously home made and fresh - I just would have liked to have some sort of potato to have filled me up instead of a load of lettuce.

Only criticism would be that toward the end of the night the music from the kitchen was so loud it overpowered the background music where we were sat.

Overall, a beautiful Inn to dine, fantastic atmosphere and service. Just a little pricey for what you receive. Would definitely recommend and return.

• Visited February 2014
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Good but not as good as it should be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

A quiet Saturday night meal with my father and partner for mine and my wife's birthdays.

Never been in before despite people recommending it and me driving past for so many years seeing and the pub of the year award each year. I know it prides itself on seafood, which is not for me, but the food wasn't as good as I thought it could be or the price suggests it should be.

I guess it is an attempt to be finer dining but the food isn't quite there and the whole experience doesn't come up to scratch either. Bar staff far to sloppy and inattentive; decor, tired; ambience flat; customer service lacking; style and flair wanting. Just the correct glassware for drinks, correct crockery for the 'style' of food and a better table setting wouldn't go amiss.

Could do better, especially with such a good location, great locally sourced food and excellent reputation.

Olney, United Kingdom
“Everything delicious and excellent service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Recommended by a friend and was not, in the least, disappointed. Excellent fish dishes followed by the most delicious brownie for pud and then cheese. Good portion and your recent reviewer must have a large stomach as we were stuffed and had to share the desert!! Well done New Inn. Local cheese was great.

• Visited February 2014