“Not as good as it was”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The New Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Shalfleet
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it was”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We try to visit at least once when we come across from the mainland and on this occasion were somewhat disappointed, compared to previous visits. Echoing a previous reviewer, portion sizes definately smaller. Chips overcooked. Bar service terrible. One person only serving at the restaurant end. Waiting staff very friendly. Pork belly soft and not really crispy. Waited nearly 15 minutes for our bill and had to ask for it 3 times! Potted crab really tasty but accompanying crisp bread broke up in my hands.It was so thin I could hardly spread it on it. Will read recent reviews before visiting again.2

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Exceptionally delicious seafood - a night to remember”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

7 of us had dinner here tonight. We are friends and business associates and all of us have travelled extensively internationally both with work and pleasure - and we've eaten seafood in some of the best places in the world.

We all agreed that what we ate tonight was as good, if not better, than we have even had anywhere in the world. A true thumbs up. The evening was 'peppered' with one or the other of us excaliming a delight "this is fantastic", or ''try that it's fabulous", or "that's the best sea bass I've ever tasted". This is no exaggeration - it's what happened.

It was a special night so we splashed out a little and ordered the seafood royale platter for 2 costing £60. It was a sight to behold and was simply magnificent and a massive bounty of all kinds of seafood - all cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. Before it arrived I must say I had some reservations about paying £60 for a platter for 2, and so we decided to share between all of us and add a few other dishes to bulk things up. The other dishes were not neccessary. The platter size was incredibly generous and included : a whole large crab, half a lobster, 3 seasonal cooked fish fillets (all large and easily a meal in themselves), a pot of whitebait (fantastic), a pot of cold shell on prawns plus a pot of hot shell on prawns, a massive portion of cold 'cocktail' style small peeled prawns, salad and a large basket of doorstop bread slices, a ramekin of seafood sauce and a ramekin of tartar sauce, a generous amount of smoked salmon slices.

It was so good we felt that we should order some Sancere to do it justice.

The whole meal was a fabulous feast of delights and a real night to remember. 10/10 for the chef who I have to say really knows how to deal with seafood.

One tip I think is useful is that we always make it very clear that we are happy for dishes to be brought to the table when they are ready - we don't insist on everything arriving at once. This gives massive benefits especially on busy bank holidays in small rural pubs where kitchen resources can come under pressure. It's a great idea to give the chef the freedom to send food out when it is ready and when it is at it's very best - rather than it sitting there under lights until everything is ready to go at once. We often take this approach wherever we go and our meals are always fresher, jucier and better as a result.

This is a place for fine dining and exceptional seafood - but at pub style prices. This place punches well above its weight and easily rivals the best seafood restaurants I have eaten in. If you're looking for a good selection of cheap kids meals, or if you're a fussy eater, or if you want a selection of processed largers - then maybe consider going somewhere else for a defrosted meat pie and chips at bargain prices because this place is not set up for that.

If you love fantastic seafood in a mature environment of a beautiful and quaint old pub, then this place is for you.

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food, but poor atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I took my family who were visiting the IOW for Sunday lunch, and left disappointed. The food itself was nice, if the portions were a little small. What let the occasion down was the middle aged barman, who hardly me and my party feel welcome, with his slightly sneering service, and poor customer service.

I will be visiting other pubs on the IOW who make more of an effort to make all their guest welcome.

Ham, United Kingdom
“Easter Breakaway to the IOW”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This most certainly is NOT the best pub on the Island. The service was awful the food was awful & the ambience was awful. The food came out cold, The Pork Loin was like rubber, the Rump Steak was so chewy I had to spit it out, The chicken & Mushroom was appalling. The staff were nowhere to be seen and to top it all they plonked a sackfull of new potatoes on a side plate to feed at least 20 people that did not look apertizing at all!!!! and after all that we were hit with a bill of £95.00 for an absoloute disgrace of a meal!!!!

Please do not go here and waste your money when there are some wonderful places to eat on the Island.

Shanklin, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very disapointed, 4/10, does not live up to the reputation”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This Mothers day I wanted to take my Mum, my wife, and my grandmother for a meal (with my 2 kids and grandfather in tow). After discovering that the New Inn in shalfleet had won accolades from the good pub guide, we booked a table a week in advance for 6pm. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly middle aged guy, who on studying the bookings board, informed me there was no booking for our party. After checking several other names with me, there was no issue, he gave us someone else's table who was booked for an hour after us. Not a good start, I also felt as though we may be rushed to get the other group in. Next step...lets hopes this goes better.....drinks! Only Carlsberg on tap for the beer/lager drinkers, and bud or corona in bottles. There were lots of wine choices ranging up to £100 a bottle, and 4/5 ale/bitters on tap but were not wine drinkers, nor are we ale drinkers so our choice was limited and the drinks we had would not have been our preferred choices. Ok....bad start....food! the main menu was very limited, but the specials board gave some variety. No kids menu was available, but there was a menu for "small appetites". Unfortunately my young kids do not have the pallet for fancy food, and would only opt for the sausages with chips and peas. Both wanted beans instead of peas but we were informed they do not serve beans...oh well. My wife is fussy and decided the menu was not to her taste, but the pie seemed would be ok. 4 of the party opted for the beef roast, but we were informed all of the beef had sold out at lunch time so this was no longer available....back to the menu it was then to pick out what we would eat, not what we would like or fancied. The barman recommended the pork belly, so my Mum and I chose that due to lack of inspiration. There was an acceptable wait for the food to arrive, but when it did we all found our meals to be very well cooked and delicious, and presented nicely. I give this visit 4/10 purely on the food we were served and friendly staff, as we found the atmosphere lacking, and the general decor a bit too gastro pub for a place with age and history. We were expecting a little more individuality and quaintness. The food was nice, but I would say the main dishes were around £2/£3 over what you might pay elsewhere, and a little on the reserved side in respect to size of the servings. 4 of us had dessert which consisted of 2 ice creams given the thumbs up, a treacle sponge which was small but great, and a brownie which was stodgy and lacking flavour (not good at £5,25 each). Ok...coffee would be good now to settle our tummies. We looked at the coffee menu consisting of around 10 different choices. Four of us opted for coffee and made our choices, only to be informed "the coffee machine is broken, well, not actually broken, just the drink comes out cold!!" Oh dear Cheque please. The bill come to just shy of £130. We had 2 Pints Carlsberg, 8 small cokes, 1 large coke, 1 bottle of bud, 1 small sherry, 1 small rose wine, 3 (normal) main dish, 4 "small appetite" dishes, 2 ice creams, 2 desserts. Although not a complete disaster, I can easily list 20 other places I would of prefered to eat at on the island, and would be £15 in pocket too. Im sorry New Inn, I just dont feel there was much special about our visit to comment on.

• Visited March 2014