“Pleasant surprise!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Franklin Park
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My boyfriend planned a trip to the Chicago area during my spring break and I was a bit apprehensive when he said he wanted to make all the plans himself-- especially since he doesn't have much travel experience. When we arrived at the hotel, we were both pleasantly surprised at how nice our room was. We arrived at the employees were very friendly and helpful, getting us all settled in our room. We had some issues with getting our key to work, but an employee promptly came up to give us a new key. The front desk even called about a half hour later to make sure everything was working well for us.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the place, even though we didn't spend a whole lot of time at the hotel. I really suggest trying Johnnie's Grill, a very, very small dinner located right next door to the hotel for breakfast or lunch. Everything in the room is new and remodeled-- flat screen TV, high speed wifi, and (my favorite part) a wonderful shower. The rates were super awesome and very affordable. This hotel is a little gem in a small, dingy suburb.

If you're planning on staying here to visit downtown Chicago, I suggest having or renting a car. The bus system is a little weird around this area, and it takes a long combination of trains/metro to get downtown. We tried taking the buses, got frustrated, gave-up, and just ended up taking our car.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Darien, Illinois
Reviewed 18 March 2014

wow, very relieved to have stumbled across this motel. the area is full of dirty motels. boy was i happy with this one. you can get the feeling, imediatley,when you inquire about renting a room with the owners,(who,by the way,have been in control of this property for 20 years,& very recently have become part of the red roof inn family) that they are very watchful',of any shady characters,that are disrespectful to the property,(ie, smoking in the rooms, suspicious visitors to the rooms, hallways,parking lot,etc) - all the rooms have been completely renovated, like, 3 weeks ago, and they really want to keep everything clean & fresh.i checked in for a night,and as i first opened the door, i can smell the,"newness" and cleanliness of everything. the next day i extended 7 more days.... during the week, i noticed they kept a "watchful eye" on everyone entering the driveway. this made me feel safe, & really taken care of.... i did bring some fast food into the room, which was completely fine with them, but i made sure to despose of the left over food & wrappers, as if it were my own house, just to help keep the room nice.... they do recognize & take notes on checkout, that anyone that smokes & trashes the room. or has shady activities,that are part of the "norm" for the area, will not be tollorated & they will not be allowed back.... this is great!!! they will keep the rooms nice for those of us that are respectful, & will keep the riff-raff away..... these rooms should stay nice & fresh, for a long time.....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dsniggy
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

With a lost bag --- the airlines prefer the less dire "delayed" --- I was faced with an unplanned overnight stay near O'Hare. Trusting Red Roofs (which I've frequently used in emergency situations), I phoned and then came to this newly franchised location. The good news is that I wound up both comfortably housed and pleased by the owners' various kindnesses. There is no bad news. On a chilly afternoon and then snowy morning, Sangita Patel proved herself a warmly interested host, earning my distressed traveler's gratitude. (The errant suitcase arrived at midnight.)
[Thrift-shop lovers alert: not far away on Grand Avenue --- turn right --- is Savers, one of the largest and most perfectly organized secondhand emporia I've ever walked into.]

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Bethbook
New Denver, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed here for a week and would happily stay here again. Recently remodeled with flat screen TV, WiFi, new bathrooms (very clean) and comfortable beds. All the staff we met were cheerful and friendly, and the rates were excellent. Great value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tracy O
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was mistakenly swayed by the 5 star reviews and booked 7 nights at the Regal. BIG MISTAKE to pick a private motel vs. a chain! The lobby was under reno so it was the size of a closet with the staff on the other side of the glass. As I trudged up the rusty stairs to the outside access door I braced myself for the worst. The mattresses were on wooden boxes, there was a fridge and microwave but no coffee maker, no hair dryer, no ironing board or hangers. The soap was so old and small it cracked before I even used it, the bathmat was the smallest thing I've ever seen and the towels were the thinnest I've ever seen. I had to leave after the first night and because it was 6 o'clock when I checked out I offered to pay the 2nd night. Well, I had to argue to not get charged a 3rd night, and even after speaking to Booking.com who agreed that 2 nights was fair, was charged not 2 nights of my 7 night stay, but 2 nights at the regular price. This was a very expensive mistake to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Judi M
Celje
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Nice renovated big rooms, with a flat screen TV, microwave and fridge. The bathroom is big enough.
The wifi is free, of course also parking.
They don't have a baby crib though, however they gave us another bedspread and bed sheets, so no problem with our baby.

It is about 30 minutes to the Chicago Navy Pier by car in normal traffic, less than 10 minutes to O'Hare Airport.
McDonald's in almost across the street, just in case...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Franklin Park, Illinois
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Since I travel to the Chicago area for business often, 22 times in 2012, I visited 5 motels in the immediate area and selected Regal for the Cleanliness and size of the rooms. I paid a premium over others in different areas because the place is just worth more. Also, from Franklin Park, I have easy access to all the expressways and can get nearly anywhere in 30-40 minutes. The staff knows the job and does it well.

Room Tip: The inside rooms seem to be quieter than those facing the court, but those facing the court are larg...