“Gorgeous views - resort needs work”

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The view is outstanding. As are desperately needed updates for the price. Rooms are small and very dated. Restaurants are updated but the service is poor and the food is mediocre. We are a family of four who would have loved to stay longer but with mini golf you can't see (just one light?), a bathroom only one can be in, not good food, advertised wireless ("but we know it rarely works" and a team that seemed very confused and untrained - why? With updates and fixes we'd be back in a flash.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Chestnut Mountain Resort

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Rooms are bad,bad,bad. This place might have been nice in the 80's.
I took my family to the alpine slide in the summer so I can't comment on the skiing.
The staff at the slide are disrespectful high school kids. I have never been talked to like that at any establishment......ever!!
I also heard them yelling at two kids....I'm talking top of lungs yelling for twenty or thirty seconds and not correcting kids for doing something wrong.
That is a direct reflection of ownership and management which neither of seems to be present.
Passed on the restaurant because of the smell near the kitchen which I can only describe as sewagey/bathroomy??
Don't waste your time and money like I did.
This place has so much potential but obviously nobody cares.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken R
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The views of the Mississippi are gorgeous. The condition of the hotel is egregious. The worst are the public spaces. Water stain after water stain greets you as you pass down the halls. The furniture is old and chipped. There is paint pealing off the ceiling in our room. The condition of the hotel is not acceptable. This place could be great. Nice staff. The room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I once read in a Galena Magazine the best views in all of galena can be seen from C.M.R. I have to admit when I first walked in I was blown away. Theres a indoor/outdoor restaurant that is surrounded by glass that has expansive views of the hills and The Mississippi river that is just beautiful. There are two restaurants at the resort The Summit which is your typical bar food and The Sunset grille which offers a more upscale menu. They both provide great views but The Sunset grille also provides outdoor seating. I have to say they make some of the Best Hot wings in the summit that I've ever had. Their wing sauces come in Beginner, intermediate and advanced-Advanced is amazing. We had a group for our reunion of around 30 people all of which had a great time. We had full use of the conference room which was a great way for us all to get together and have dinner play games etc.. The group loved the pool/hot tub and the Alpine slide. We also did the Scenic boat ride which launches right from the resort. The cons were what many reviewers have already stated-Most sections of the resort needs to be renovated. Some of the rooms have been but the rooms on the top and bottom floors have not. The restaurants were very nice but the hallways, common areas were in desperate need of updating. There was mold all over the ceiling in the pool area and the corridor leading to the pool was probably the worst of all the ares in the hotel. There is also no elevator at the resort so request a room that is on the main level, the 2nd floor. Rebecca behind the desk was rude to deal with but other than that everyone was very nice. A special thanks to Joan who helped me coordinate this event and did such a wonderful job. Overall I'd recommend this resort especially for group events, reunions etc..Between all the amenities the resort offers as well as main street in Galena we always had stuff to do. With some sprucing up this place could be amazing!

Room Tip: Select a room on the second floor (main floor) since there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I were part of a Touring Motorcycle group that was having their annual rally at the Chestnut Mountain Resort. After reading a few reviews we decided that maybe we didn't want to stay there... One of the organizers of the rally assured us that the Chestnut was a nice place and the management and staff were going above and beyond to make our stay outstanding. Well, we stayed there, and are we glad we did!!!!! Our room was comfortable, large and clean. The restaurants were outstanding and the views were spectacular. Each morning I took my coffee outside at about 6:30am and watched the day start while overlooking the Mississippi River... In the evening my wife and I would have a beer or wine and watch the sun set from the balcony. What a great place!!!! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Chestnut.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Soupman1100
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We joined some friends for a rally at this hotel. It is an older hotel, but clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly, from front desk to restuarant to room staff, nothing was too much trouble. Food was really good and the view from the restuarant was amazing. Enjoyed our time here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie-Marie C
Reviewed 6 July 2013

To start with, this place advertises themselves as being located in Galena. In fact, they are 9 miles away, in Hanover, which is a completely different town, and being so misleading about their location just seems like a desperate attempt to attract people.
The hotel itself is extremely outdated. The carpets all around are smelly (we had to keep a window open in our room at all times), dusty, and stained.
The rooms are horrendous. We have stayed a long weekend there, and those three nights were rather uncomfortable. The double sized mattresses are old; the blankets and the top covers haven't been washed in a while. The only few things that were probably refreshed are the sheets and towels.
There's no fridge, coffee maker, no microwave, nor blow dryer in the room or anywhere around. The AC is ancient and squeaks.
So far, this place is on the list of the top worst that we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family