“Resort better days, come for alpine slide & views” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chestnut Mountain Resort

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Chicago, Illinois
“Resort better days, come for alpine slide & views”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

You come to Chestnut Mountain for the views of the Grand Olde Miss (Mississippi River) while taking advantage of the skiing/snowboarding in the winter or alpine slide in the spring. My mother always taught me not to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll try my best to follow her guidance, but...
My partner and I were given a room for our Galena wedding weekend by a family member. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, and since the resort is a bit off the beaten path, we had dinner at The Summit restaurant. Although the menu is very limited in selection, there's an A+ view of the sunset to take advantage on the huge outdoor porch. After the sun went down it became chilly and the desk receptionist brought out blankets out for those who were cold! Nice touch.

While the two restaurants and lobby appear to have been updated, the rooms remain stuck in the 80's. Walking to and from my room, my nose itched and eyes watered from either the mold in the carpets or old smoke from when cigarette smoking was legal indoors. It's worth mentioning that there's carpet going halfway up the walls with noticeable stains, ew. We had a Double Queen Bed room that was extremely spacious with a table for four, TV, couch, desk, and two sinks (one within the bathroom, one outside---great when both of us needed to get ready to take on the day in the morning). Beds were fairly comfortable and luckily we had a second bed for extra pillows. With all this said, the decor and furniture is definitely outdated and simply old, and the shower head needed to be soaked in vinegar...badly!

I wouldn't stay here again, would am always willing to come for sunset views with a drink in hand and a ride down the alpine slide.

Room Tip: If you stay here, get a Mississippi River view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just spent the weekend at this "resort". They have recently given the lobby and restaurants a facelift but have not touched the sleeping rooms, at least not the area where our group was staying. It's old and run down with no amenities except three small bars of soap and shampoo. When I turned on the water to shower, it ran grayish black and the water in the toilet flushed rusty red! Obviously didn't want to swallow any of the water so we bought bottled water in the conveniently placed vending machines for ....$2.00 each. No elevator so don't plan on much luggage because you'll have to carry it up the stairs to your floor.

The bar seemed to be rocking but after midnight i was awoken by the sounds of running and screaming and shouting in the halls? Outside? Don't know but I wasn't going to investigate in my half sleep state. Really wasn't worth the money. The whole experience reminded me of a cheap shore motel in the 1970s. The best part of this resort...spectacular views.

Room Tip: Here's my tip. Avoid this place.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bookchic

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We visited Galena and stayed with Chestnut Mountain Resort for the Labor day weekend. I had a second thought staying with them when I first walked in to the room because the room needs lot of work and the TV is like 80' bulky style. We couldn't find another place to stay because the Labor day weekend was popular and hard to get a room, well, I'm glad we stayed there. We had fun with all the activies on site (Alpine ride, mini golf, pool, boat ride...etc.), even just simply walk around is nice there. We used the pool which is very clean, we ate at the sunset grill restaurant which has the most amazing view to the river and sunset, it was just wonderful. We are a family of 4 and we found the beds were comfortable and the room was quite and clean, we slept well and when we woke up the next monring we again enjoy a new day of activies. I'd suggest to purchase the boat tickets in advance if you are going during the any holiday weekend. The front desk staff Donna, Rebecca were very friendly when we checked in and chekced out. We will for sure return when we get a chance and will be happy to recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vivian R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a wonderful time! Yes the hotel is dated, but very clean and we definitely got a great value for what we paid. The Alpine Slide, hiking trails, mini golf, segways, many summer time activities. I would definitely recommend going mid week, low crowds and we had perfect weather towards the end of August. If you are expecting an upscale resort with trendy rooms, go stay somewhere else, however if you like the nostalgia and can appreciate the scenic views, definitely book a room here in the summer, you will not be disappointed.

2 Thank Ann326
Sugar Grove, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Took a chance on the resort during the end of summer and were not disappointed. Yes, the rooms needed some updating (the original doors still in place, but shabby looking) but the Resort upgraded our room. It overlooked the beautiful lush green yard and the gorgeous Mississippi. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows for the 4 of us. Bathroom was average and the amenities (soap, shampoo etc.) could have been a higher quality but sufficient. We came for the beautiful scenery and fun for the 7 yr. old grandsons and got what we paid for.
Fine dining was available with linen tableclothes but we chose the Grill room...less expensive and more choices for the boys. Pizza was great; thin crust and bacon and onion made to order. The alpine slide was great fun for the kids, but nearly killed my husband who was speeding too fast for the curve! The staff was inattentive but "just doing their job"; hey, typical low paid employees. The front desk staff was very helpful with our questions and offered suggestions of what might interest the kids.
We would come back just for the quiet serenity and beauty. The swimming pool was refreshing as was the sauna and whirlpool. Maybe some brightening up of the paint jobs, some fresher carpets in the rooms, new doors...but I am fussy when I spend good money on a nice resort. We would have prefered a breakfast buffet over menu ordering with little children.

Room Tip: We actually were able to book a pet room at first. We chose to leave the pup at home and once there...
2 Thank Joan A
hudson, ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The view is outstanding. As are desperately needed updates for the price. Rooms are small and very dated. Restaurants are updated but the service is poor and the food is mediocre. We are a family of four who would have loved to stay longer but with mini golf you can't see (just one light?), a bathroom only one can be in, not good food, advertised wireless ("but we know it rarely works" and a team that seemed very confused and untrained - why? With updates and fixes we'd be back in a flash.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Rooms are bad,bad,bad. This place might have been nice in the 80's.
I took my family to the alpine slide in the summer so I can't comment on the skiing.
The staff at the slide are disrespectful high school kids. I have never been talked to like that at any establishment......ever!!
I also heard them yelling at two kids....I'm talking top of lungs yelling for twenty or thirty seconds and not correcting kids for doing something wrong.
That is a direct reflection of ownership and management which neither of seems to be present.
Passed on the restaurant because of the smell near the kitchen which I can only describe as sewagey/bathroomy??
Don't waste your time and money like I did.
This place has so much potential but obviously nobody cares.

1 Thank Ken R