“Average”

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Galena
“Average”
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Booked a room with 2 queens but had a parking lot view. Wanted a river view so got a room with 2 doubles. It was dated but clean, you could hear the wind whistling through the window but it stayed warm in the room. Bar and pool facilities were good. Could use new mattresses.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mercertown1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Hiawatha, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Chestnut Mountain Resort with 40 other leaders from a ministry that we are part of. The entire experience was great. Our room was large, the restaurant was great and meeting rooms were more than adequate.

Our room overlooked the Mississippi River and the trees were at their peak colors. I would recommend this resort even for those who are not there to ski!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Don M
@yahoo.com
Reviewed 30 September 2013

It not only had a beautiful view, it turned out beautifully. Chestnut mountain went above and beyond making it a beautiful day. Everyone had a wonderful time and the Chestnut mountain crew did a magnificent job tending to all our needs. Even supplied phone chargers when everyone forgot their chargers. We spent the night and the rooms are good and clean. They need some updating but have been slowly doing that. We had the Breakfast buffet, food was excellent as well as the price $9.99 . I can't say enough about the view and the chestnut crew. Had a wonderful experience and would absolutely go there again.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower level if you have alot of luggage because their is no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank userfriendly53
Reviewed 23 September 2013

You come to Chestnut Mountain for the views of the Grand Olde Miss (Mississippi River) while taking advantage of the skiing/snowboarding in the winter or alpine slide in the spring. My mother always taught me not to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll try my best to follow her guidance, but...
My partner and I were given a room for our Galena wedding weekend by a family member. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, and since the resort is a bit off the beaten path, we had dinner at The Summit restaurant. Although the menu is very limited in selection, there's an A+ view of the sunset to take advantage on the huge outdoor porch. After the sun went down it became chilly and the desk receptionist brought out blankets out for those who were cold! Nice touch.

While the two restaurants and lobby appear to have been updated, the rooms remain stuck in the 80's. Walking to and from my room, my nose itched and eyes watered from either the mold in the carpets or old smoke from when cigarette smoking was legal indoors. It's worth mentioning that there's carpet going halfway up the walls with noticeable stains, ew. We had a Double Queen Bed room that was extremely spacious with a table for four, TV, couch, desk, and two sinks (one within the bathroom, one outside---great when both of us needed to get ready to take on the day in the morning). Beds were fairly comfortable and luckily we had a second bed for extra pillows. With all this said, the decor and furniture is definitely outdated and simply old, and the shower head needed to be soaked in vinegar...badly!

I wouldn't stay here again, would am always willing to come for sunset views with a drink in hand and a ride down the alpine slide.

Room Tip: If you stay here, get a Mississippi River view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just spent the weekend at this "resort". They have recently given the lobby and restaurants a facelift but have not touched the sleeping rooms, at least not the area where our group was staying. It's old and run down with no amenities except three small bars of soap and shampoo. When I turned on the water to shower, it ran grayish black and the water in the toilet flushed rusty red! Obviously didn't want to swallow any of the water so we bought bottled water in the conveniently placed vending machines for ....$2.00 each. No elevator so don't plan on much luggage because you'll have to carry it up the stairs to your floor.

The bar seemed to be rocking but after midnight i was awoken by the sounds of running and screaming and shouting in the halls? Outside? Don't know but I wasn't going to investigate in my half sleep state. Really wasn't worth the money. The whole experience reminded me of a cheap shore motel in the 1970s. The best part of this resort...spectacular views.

Room Tip: Here's my tip. Avoid this place.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bookchic
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We visited Galena and stayed with Chestnut Mountain Resort for the Labor day weekend. I had a second thought staying with them when I first walked in to the room because the room needs lot of work and the TV is like 80' bulky style. We couldn't find another place to stay because the Labor day weekend was popular and hard to get a room, well, I'm glad we stayed there. We had fun with all the activies on site (Alpine ride, mini golf, pool, boat ride...etc.), even just simply walk around is nice there. We used the pool which is very clean, we ate at the sunset grill restaurant which has the most amazing view to the river and sunset, it was just wonderful. We are a family of 4 and we found the beds were comfortable and the room was quite and clean, we slept well and when we woke up the next monring we again enjoy a new day of activies. I'd suggest to purchase the boat tickets in advance if you are going during the any holiday weekend. The front desk staff Donna, Rebecca were very friendly when we checked in and chekced out. We will for sure return when we get a chance and will be happy to recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vivian R
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a wonderful time! Yes the hotel is dated, but very clean and we definitely got a great value for what we paid. The Alpine Slide, hiking trails, mini golf, segways, many summer time activities. I would definitely recommend going mid week, low crowds and we had perfect weather towards the end of August. If you are expecting an upscale resort with trendy rooms, go stay somewhere else, however if you like the nostalgia and can appreciate the scenic views, definitely book a room here in the summer, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family