“Very Disappointed in What We Experienced!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chestnut Mountain Resort

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Naperville
“Very Disappointed in What We Experienced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort over fourth of July weekend and we were very disappointed in what we experienced. The room we stayed in smelt like mold and urine. There were bugs and other insects in our room also. The air conditioner didn't work as well as we needed due to the fact of the heat. When we first got into the room we checked the bathroom for any hairs on the floor and shower and we found alot of darker hairs on both the floor and the shower. There was mold above the air conditioner that was just covered with loose wall paper. The beds were very uncomfortable because the springs were coming through. There were stains on the bed sheets and we asked the house keepers for new sheets and they just ingored us and continued to work. My wife left her purse in the room and money was missing out of her purse and we talked to the manager and they didn't do any thing about it. We tried to ask one of the house keepers about who cleaned the room but they couldn't understand us because they didn't speak or understand English. We decided to go to the dining room for the fourth of July for a special dinner and the cost was over priced for what we were served. My sons hamburger was bloody and I told the manager of the dining room and he told us thats how people like their hamburgers. My wife and I noticed that there was alot of food and garbage on the floor in the dining room. When my wife pulled out her chair to sit down her hand stuck to it because it wasn't clean and was filthy. I used the public restroom before we returned to our room and it smelt like urine really bad. On our last day of the stay we were going to use the hot tub but it was filthy, the water was yellow and had a film around the rim of the hot tub. I WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Cruiser_50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
LONE TREE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I booked the weekend for our anniversary and wish I had looked further. They offered a summertime deal that I thought was good but ended up being very disappointed. There is no coffee pots in the rooms and the whole place smelled like mildew. The beds are very bad and the floors were hot. It took one whole day just to cool our room down where we could sleep. They overcharge for what you get and I am not impressed with the staff. The water in the hot tub was yellow and there were bugs floating in the indoor pool. I would not encourage anyone to stay here. Very shabby for a "resort".

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

Martinfamilytravels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

My wife and I stayed here for their New Year's Eve package, which included 3 nights’ accommodations, meal vouchers, 3 days' skiing and New Year's Eve celebration. Ski rental and alcohol were not included.

The first night our appointed room was unacceptable, a 1.5 star rating, with the +0.5 strictly for our view of the slopes. The room had not been updated and the space very small. The toilette was not completely seated on the floor. It was wedged and balanced with plywood. Whatever you do, avoid room 415.

The good news is that we complained and the hotel relocated us to the Edelweiss side and to a room with two queen beds. The room was definitely more recently updated and the space much more ample. It is what we would expect at any of the standard travel name hotels. Additionally, the hotel gave us a discount for the experience which adequately compensated us for the inconvenience of the first night.

The food in the restaurant and in the bar was good. The menus are diverse enough and the service is quite good. However, the prices are a bit on the high side, but we expected this as a tradeoff for the convenience (Galena is only 8 miles, but after skiing all day we didn't want to make the drive).

The pool and whirlpool are well maintained. The hotel has a game room, too, but we didn't use it.

The skiing is midwest skiing, which if you have skied in the midwest you know what I mean. Nonetheless, for a short 3 hour drive from home, it provided many hours of entertaining and enjoyable skiing, albeit mildly challenging, that met our expectations for a "weekend" getaway.

We rated the place average for the accommodations and food but would give it a bit extra for the friendly staff and convenient location. We will definitely visit the resort again to get our family ski fix.

• Liked — Location, Service
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

Do yourself a favor - do not stay here! The hotel is very old, furniture and carpeting is from the '70s, the sheets on the bed were shabby and dirty... all in all, very disappointing. For all this, you get charged $195 for one night (no breakfast included). Save your money and stay somewhere else. Ski slopes are pretty short, so it takes more to wait for the ski lift than to ski down. Look for other ski resorts.

Stayed December 2008
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

$160 a night for the room (single)
$60 for two tickets to the Alpine Slide
$30 for lunch
$50 for dinner
...but they threw in a buffett breakfast. Yay.

The service is very friendly (as are all the staff), but spotty. I found myself getting my own water and coffee when our waitress disappeared.
Front desk did supply bandages when we wiped out on the Alpine Slide at least.
The room was small, musty, and pretty retro, especially considering that we've spent less at several premium hotels.

Not one of these "issues", in and of themselves, bother me. What does bother me is how much the pleasure cost. It seems to me that spending almost $300 in a weekend wouldn't leave me feeling like I stayed at a Super 8.

Motorcyclists, avoid this one; Blackjack Road is completely gone to chip seal and gravel. It's certainly do-able, but it's not something a novice should attempt.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

The resort / hotel is rather old and worn out. The rooms were just OK - again probably time for a remodeling task to be done. We hada 2 queen beds room which was reasonably sized. Odd room numbers have a view of the Mississippi river. Staff members were OK. Free breakfast is essentially $8 per person off from the total bill. Breakfast buffet was $6.99 and was average. Although an aging hotel, which is 8-10 miles from downtown Galena, the attractions (summertime) of the Alpine Slide, River cruises, Chair lifts, mini-golf, etc. were on the property and therefore convenient to get to. Swimming pool and hot tub were quite aged as well. The drive to/from Galena and US-20 is scenic and with lot of animal farms and corn fields, although it is slow given that much of the road was dirt roads. If you are OK with a 3-star hotel showing signs of age at a reasonable price, this one is good.

• Liked — Proximity to summer activities (and skiiing in winter)
  • Disliked — Old, aging
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2008

My husband and I stayed at the resort March 28-30, 2008. This was our first time at the resort and we were skeptical about our stay. The room was clean. The staff was courteous and friendly and the view was spectacular. The hot tub was lovely but somewhat small. Breakfast was included in the price both days in the dining area.The pancakes were delicious. My husband reports that the omelette and hash browns were great!! Be aware that they do not have an elevator . The resort isn't as modern as some of the others but for a reasonably priced stay it's worth it. We recommend this resort to all. We will definately return.

• Liked — What I liked best was the pleasant atmosphere of the resort created by the staff.
  • Disliked — What I liked least was no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple