“What a Dump!”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Gilberts, IL
“What a Dump!”
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I'm an avid skiier. I usually head up to Devil's Head in Wisconsin for weekend ski trips; this time, I decided to try skiiing at Chestnut Mountain in Galena. My review is a mixed bag.

Pros:
The skiing is fantastic. Lots of lifts. Fun and challenging trails.
The restuarants and bars inside the resorts are fun. Great drink specials. Tasty food. Excellent soups.

Cons:
The Resort itself is 50+ years old--and it looks its age on its best day.
The hotel rooms are atrocious - wallpaper peeling off the walls. Stains on the ceilings. Ancient bathrooms. Rock hard beds. Really not worth any amount of money.
The bartenders have no clue how to make any trpoical drink. If you like beer, you're golden.

My advice---ski at Chestnut. Just don't stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liljc1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 September 2009

So many things wrong and so few right I dont know where to begin. First off my girlfriend and I stayed here on Labor day weekend. The room was $170 for Sunday and $90 for Monday (they tried to charge us $170 for both nights due to holiday weekend, but they had previously quoted the above price so we lucked out). The entire hotel hasn't been remodeled since it was built. The rooms were decently sized, but completely outdated. The rooms smelled musky and the air conditioner and faucets made ridiculous noises all night. The tv was from the 80's (not a big deal as we weren't in the room much) There was no coffee pots in the rooms and they quit refilling the coffee pots in the lobby before 10am. Breakfast was buffet style and was free (not bad, but its pretty hard to screw up breakfast as far as I'm concerned). We ate at the sunset grille the first night. The view was awesome, but that was the best part of our meal. It took 45 minutes to get our salads, our drinks weren't refreshed until then either. I ordered the new york strip and my girlfriend had the prime rib. It was by far the worst food that either of us have had and it was priced at over $25/ plate and it took over 1 1/2 hrs before we got our main dish. We rode the apline slide on our first day and it was fun, but not worth the $7/person/time to ride for 3 minutes. They had minature golf, but of course that was $5/person. There was a decent indoor pool (9' on the deep end) and spa, but no excercise room. The only way I would come back is if I was given an all expenses paid trip and getting paid for my time to be there. Obviously we came during the off season, but from what I saw Sun Down Mountain in Dubuque is a way better mountain for winter recreation.

Cliffs:
-Outdated facility
-Outrageously Expensive Rooms (especially for in the summer)
-Terrible Restaurant Service & Expensive
-Nice Scenery
-No free ammenities

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bso64420

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

Naperville
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort over fourth of July weekend and we were very disappointed in what we experienced. The room we stayed in smelt like mold and urine. There were bugs and other insects in our room also. The air conditioner didn't work as well as we needed due to the fact of the heat. When we first got into the room we checked the bathroom for any hairs on the floor and shower and we found alot of darker hairs on both the floor and the shower. There was mold above the air conditioner that was just covered with loose wall paper. The beds were very uncomfortable because the springs were coming through. There were stains on the bed sheets and we asked the house keepers for new sheets and they just ingored us and continued to work. My wife left her purse in the room and money was missing out of her purse and we talked to the manager and they didn't do any thing about it. We tried to ask one of the house keepers about who cleaned the room but they couldn't understand us because they didn't speak or understand English. We decided to go to the dining room for the fourth of July for a special dinner and the cost was over priced for what we were served. My sons hamburger was bloody and I told the manager of the dining room and he told us thats how people like their hamburgers. My wife and I noticed that there was alot of food and garbage on the floor in the dining room. When my wife pulled out her chair to sit down her hand stuck to it because it wasn't clean and was filthy. I used the public restroom before we returned to our room and it smelt like urine really bad. On our last day of the stay we were going to use the hot tub but it was filthy, the water was yellow and had a film around the rim of the hot tub. I WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Cruiser_50
LONE TREE
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I booked the weekend for our anniversary and wish I had looked further. They offered a summertime deal that I thought was good but ended up being very disappointed. There is no coffee pots in the rooms and the whole place smelled like mildew. The beds are very bad and the floors were hot. It took one whole day just to cool our room down where we could sleep. They overcharge for what you get and I am not impressed with the staff. The water in the hot tub was yellow and there were bugs floating in the indoor pool. I would not encourage anyone to stay here. Very shabby for a "resort".

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Martinfamilytravels
Reviewed 1 January 2009

My wife and I stayed here for their New Year's Eve package, which included 3 nights’ accommodations, meal vouchers, 3 days' skiing and New Year's Eve celebration. Ski rental and alcohol were not included.

The first night our appointed room was unacceptable, a 1.5 star rating, with the +0.5 strictly for our view of the slopes. The room had not been updated and the space very small. The toilette was not completely seated on the floor. It was wedged and balanced with plywood. Whatever you do, avoid room 415.

The good news is that we complained and the hotel relocated us to the Edelweiss side and to a room with two queen beds. The room was definitely more recently updated and the space much more ample. It is what we would expect at any of the standard travel name hotels. Additionally, the hotel gave us a discount for the experience which adequately compensated us for the inconvenience of the first night.

The food in the restaurant and in the bar was good. The menus are diverse enough and the service is quite good. However, the prices are a bit on the high side, but we expected this as a tradeoff for the convenience (Galena is only 8 miles, but after skiing all day we didn't want to make the drive).

The pool and whirlpool are well maintained. The hotel has a game room, too, but we didn't use it.

The skiing is midwest skiing, which if you have skied in the midwest you know what I mean. Nonetheless, for a short 3 hour drive from home, it provided many hours of entertaining and enjoyable skiing, albeit mildly challenging, that met our expectations for a "weekend" getaway.

We rated the place average for the accommodations and food but would give it a bit extra for the friendly staff and convenient location. We will definitely visit the resort again to get our family ski fix.

• Liked — Location, Service
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Do yourself a favor - do not stay here! The hotel is very old, furniture and carpeting is from the '70s, the sheets on the bed were shabby and dirty... all in all, very disappointing. For all this, you get charged $195 for one night (no breakfast included). Save your money and stay somewhere else. Ski slopes are pretty short, so it takes more to wait for the ski lift than to ski down. Look for other ski resorts.

Stayed December 2008
Chicago
Reviewed 4 August 2008

$160 a night for the room (single)
$60 for two tickets to the Alpine Slide
$30 for lunch
$50 for dinner
...but they threw in a buffett breakfast. Yay.

The service is very friendly (as are all the staff), but spotty. I found myself getting my own water and coffee when our waitress disappeared.
Front desk did supply bandages when we wiped out on the Alpine Slide at least.
The room was small, musty, and pretty retro, especially considering that we've spent less at several premium hotels.

Not one of these "issues", in and of themselves, bother me. What does bother me is how much the pleasure cost. It seems to me that spending almost $300 in a weekend wouldn't leave me feeling like I stayed at a Super 8.

Motorcyclists, avoid this one; Blackjack Road is completely gone to chip seal and gravel. It's certainly do-able, but it's not something a novice should attempt.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)