“love/hate”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Madison, Wisconsin
“love/hate”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I actually want to give my room and the price we paid for it 1 star, and the resort 4 stars....

On an unplanned, meandering motorcycle trip we found ourselves in the Galena area, only to find that the only available lodging was here, or one other place with a rate over $200...so here with the awesome help of the gentleman at the Galena visitor center we found our way here.

Glass half full: The resort, modeled like a Swiss Ski Chalet, is situated on the top of a ski hill, overlooking an amazing view of the Mississippi...very pretty indeed. We ate a great meal at the "Sunset Grill" on property, a second story balcony with great views. Every employee we encountered was nice. They had river boat rides available, way down hill kayak/canoe rentals, alpine slides-ski lift rides, a pool, hot tub, steam room.....this would have been more fun for a family, and I would consider taking my family back here, possibly to ski or kayak.

Glass 1/2 empty: The rose has wilted. The halls smelled very mildewy, the room was worn out (again I would feel no pain bringin a messy kid here)...things were missing, like a coffee maker. The TV was a box and small....I could not use the toilet with the door open, or the door would be between my legs...the sink, a small, wall attached, no bathroom counter space...the wood furniture all well scuffed on the corners, beds old and flat...you get the idea...all things I could have lived with had I not paid $149 for the room!.....(the previous night we stayed in LaCrosse at the Raddisson for the same price....large flat screen, granite counter tops, down pillows...also on the Mississippi river....you get my let down?)

Again the scenery was great, the staff welcoming, very family friendly (but we were here to get away from the kids :~(.....but the poor building needs a gutting.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank home2much

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Florissant, MO
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We have had the pleasure of spending the past 5 years at Chestnut on President's Weekend. We always look forward to our stay. Everything is so convenient and so reasonable. The staff is always courteous and helpful. In the years that we have been coming to Chestnut we have enlisted several other friends to sign-up also! We have shared many great memories at Chestnut with friends. Chestnut Mtn Resort is a little gem tucked away in Galena that we are very glad we found ! Keep up the great work at Chestnut ! See you next year !
By the way, I forgot to mention the renovations... what an awesome difference. Noticed as soon as we walked in the lobby ! They look great !

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Wonderful family place. The only thing they need is WiFi and kitchens in the rooms.

• Stayed February 2010
Gilberts, IL
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I'm an avid skiier. I usually head up to Devil's Head in Wisconsin for weekend ski trips; this time, I decided to try skiiing at Chestnut Mountain in Galena. My review is a mixed bag.

Pros:
The skiing is fantastic. Lots of lifts. Fun and challenging trails.
The restuarants and bars inside the resorts are fun. Great drink specials. Tasty food. Excellent soups.

Cons:
The Resort itself is 50+ years old--and it looks its age on its best day.
The hotel rooms are atrocious - wallpaper peeling off the walls. Stains on the ceilings. Ancient bathrooms. Rock hard beds. Really not worth any amount of money.
The bartenders have no clue how to make any trpoical drink. If you like beer, you're golden.

My advice---ski at Chestnut. Just don't stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank liljc1978

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 September 2009

So many things wrong and so few right I dont know where to begin. First off my girlfriend and I stayed here on Labor day weekend. The room was $170 for Sunday and $90 for Monday (they tried to charge us $170 for both nights due to holiday weekend, but they had previously quoted the above price so we lucked out). The entire hotel hasn't been remodeled since it was built. The rooms were decently sized, but completely outdated. The rooms smelled musky and the air conditioner and faucets made ridiculous noises all night. The tv was from the 80's (not a big deal as we weren't in the room much) There was no coffee pots in the rooms and they quit refilling the coffee pots in the lobby before 10am. Breakfast was buffet style and was free (not bad, but its pretty hard to screw up breakfast as far as I'm concerned). We ate at the sunset grille the first night. The view was awesome, but that was the best part of our meal. It took 45 minutes to get our salads, our drinks weren't refreshed until then either. I ordered the new york strip and my girlfriend had the prime rib. It was by far the worst food that either of us have had and it was priced at over $25/ plate and it took over 1 1/2 hrs before we got our main dish. We rode the apline slide on our first day and it was fun, but not worth the $7/person/time to ride for 3 minutes. They had minature golf, but of course that was $5/person. There was a decent indoor pool (9' on the deep end) and spa, but no excercise room. The only way I would come back is if I was given an all expenses paid trip and getting paid for my time to be there. Obviously we came during the off season, but from what I saw Sun Down Mountain in Dubuque is a way better mountain for winter recreation.

Cliffs:
-Outdated facility
-Outrageously Expensive Rooms (especially for in the summer)
-Terrible Restaurant Service & Expensive
-Nice Scenery
-No free ammenities

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bso64420
Naperville
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort over fourth of July weekend and we were very disappointed in what we experienced. The room we stayed in smelt like mold and urine. There were bugs and other insects in our room also. The air conditioner didn't work as well as we needed due to the fact of the heat. When we first got into the room we checked the bathroom for any hairs on the floor and shower and we found alot of darker hairs on both the floor and the shower. There was mold above the air conditioner that was just covered with loose wall paper. The beds were very uncomfortable because the springs were coming through. There were stains on the bed sheets and we asked the house keepers for new sheets and they just ingored us and continued to work. My wife left her purse in the room and money was missing out of her purse and we talked to the manager and they didn't do any thing about it. We tried to ask one of the house keepers about who cleaned the room but they couldn't understand us because they didn't speak or understand English. We decided to go to the dining room for the fourth of July for a special dinner and the cost was over priced for what we were served. My sons hamburger was bloody and I told the manager of the dining room and he told us thats how people like their hamburgers. My wife and I noticed that there was alot of food and garbage on the floor in the dining room. When my wife pulled out her chair to sit down her hand stuck to it because it wasn't clean and was filthy. I used the public restroom before we returned to our room and it smelt like urine really bad. On our last day of the stay we were going to use the hot tub but it was filthy, the water was yellow and had a film around the rim of the hot tub. I WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Cruiser_50
LONE TREE
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I booked the weekend for our anniversary and wish I had looked further. They offered a summertime deal that I thought was good but ended up being very disappointed. There is no coffee pots in the rooms and the whole place smelled like mildew. The beds are very bad and the floors were hot. It took one whole day just to cool our room down where we could sleep. They overcharge for what you get and I am not impressed with the staff. The water in the hot tub was yellow and there were bugs floating in the indoor pool. I would not encourage anyone to stay here. Very shabby for a "resort".

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple