“DeSoto House needs major upgrading”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Saint Louis, Missouri
“DeSoto House needs major upgrading”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is the oldest hotel in Illinois. Located downtown on Main Street with parking inside allows you ability to walk to shops and restaurants, but. Decor is floral wallpaper, floral drapes, floral bedspreads. The wattage in lamps wouldn't even allow me to read my book in the afternoon or evening. Take a miner's helmet with a light on it if you plan to stay there. Not a happening place. We felt like we were in a Stephen King novel and were the only people staying there. I would definitely opt for a B&B or a place farther out that was more modern and had people walking around in it. My husband got in the shower and orange rust-like water came out, a testament to how long it had been since being used. Also difficult to haul in luggage from your car in the garage. Not well designed. I know. It's old.

Room Tip: The pictures on the internet must have had a photographer's bright lighting for the shoot. Our...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara M
DominiqueCross, General Manager at DeSoto House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
I was sorry to read that your stay at the DeSoto House did not live up to your expectations.
Yes, it is old, so upgrading and renovation take place continually. I'd welcome the opportunity
to discuss your stay further, if you'd like. I appreciate your input, thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2012

If you want to be in the middle of everything, this is the hotel for you. I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel just a week ago with 38 other club members. I belong to a Corvette Club, and we are all very protective of our cars, so when we found out they had an underground garage, we were in. The hotel was very old and charming with pictures every where of all the famous people who had been there, including Abe Lincoln. The rooms were large,the food was good, and they actually had a key to open your door, instead of a plastic magnetic strip. The front desk was friendly and helpful, and there was someone at the front door to open the door for you as you entered and left the hotel. Shopping, wine tasting, trolley rides, restaurants, tours, President Grant's House and much more were just steps from the hotel. A short drive away you can find vineyards, museums, a brewery and so much more. I definitely would recommend this hotel, because that is where I will stay on my next visit.

Room Tip: On Sundays, they have an all you can eat breakfast that is very good.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlrusthoven
Austin, TX
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at the Desoto House in a 2 double bed room and did a package that included either lunch or breakfast and the option of a trolley ride in town. This is an older historic hotel so keep that in mind. The bathroom was updated a good size for an older property. Towels were thick and nice. Pillows - just ok. Carpet was newer and the wall paper and drapes were an old fashioned flowery design. Each room is named after a famous author or politician which is kind of fun. Our room was large and had high windows but the floor and ceiling were at a slant. This wasn't a problem and not all the rooms would be like this but the hotel settled on that corner over the years after renovations, so it just added to the uniqueness of the room. The best part of the experience was the location. The Green Street Tavern is fun with good food and is right off the lobby. This is in the heart of Galena on Main Street within walking distance to everything. Free parking garage for hotel guests is great since parking in Galena on the weekends can be tough. There is a self guided walking tour you can do in the hotel and a video to watch that gives you the rundown on the history of the hotel. It was just ok. Read the pamphet if you want to know what happened there or just walk around inside. It's a lovely historic property. I would stay here again for the location and am glad we experienced it, but there are a lot of nice b&b's in Galena and other fun properties I may want to try next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LLL89
Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I were able to take advantage of a package deal including a parlor suite, 2 tickets to the Vinmar Gardens, and breakfast with 2. We were allowed to choose anything from the menu in the Courtyard Restaurant, and our coupons INCLUDED tax and tip.

DeSoto House does an excellent job of showcasing its illustrious history and providing helpful info. about the area. Our only suggestion would be to put larger desks in the rooms which can accommodate an average size laptop computer. While this is a vacation destination, we had other business that could not wait, and it was difficult to use the computer given the VERY SLOW INTERNET service.

Though there were thermostats in the both the small parlor and the bedroom, we had difficulty trying to regulate the A/C. The thermostats are outdated and we were either freezing or too warm, even though we tried regulating the temperature by small increments.

The rooms are unique and very clean, and even though our room was right across from the elevator on the 3rd floor, we didn't hear a thing. Free parking in their garage is a definite PLUS, as anyone who has ever tried to find parking on the main street will tell you!

We very much enjoyed visiting midweek with fewer crowds, ease of getting in and out of stores, and much quieter on the streets at night. Summer weekends tend to be very busy and very noisy!

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor FACING THE SIDE STREET was very quiet. In the past, the roar of motors go...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryWisconsin
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My sister and I meet my mom in Galena every year for her birthday and stay here. It's a lovely hotel - each room is a bit different, spacious, and with personality. I love hotels that aren't total cookie-cutters and the DeSoto is not! If you are coming to Galena definitely stay here. Friendly staff, great location - just fantastic.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
South Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I am a member of an American Needlepoint Guild Chapter in the Chicago area and over the weekend of June 28th - July 1st, thirty-two of us stayed at the DeSoto Hotel in Galena for four days of stitching, shopping and laughter. We had a great time. The hotel staff provides a great environment for us - the service is excellent, the meeting staff is great to work with and they make us feel right at home. This is our third year meeting at the DeSoto. We like it so much we are scheduled for next year. I highly recommend the hotel and their staff for any event you may have coming up!

Room Tip: All of the rooms I have stayed in are spacious and lovely.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Lennox, SD
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We have a business that takes a bus full of women on unique fun trips and we have spent our second stay at the DeSoto House and find it more and more charming every time we go. There was a mix up of number of beds needed in the room and they had a FULL house that night. Deb jumped right in there with calm and cordial help and we solved the situation. I needed some medical treatment on Sat. morning and with no taxi available at the time, Linda, one of the employee's, drove me to the hospital, came back and picked me up, made a 3rd trip (all with her own car) to pick up the meds. Our door man went above and beyond to help us load and unload our bus. We LOVE this hotel. Our guests can shop as long as they want, come back and relax and go right back at it. You couldn't ask for a better location and welcoming staff as the DeSoto House. The rooms and food was great also. For an old hotel this place has been done up well! Linda and Vicki, 2 Sisters Off and Running, LLC

Room Tip: The outside rooms (Lincoln for one) are brighter. If you want quiet you may want the inside rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends