“Extraordinary Experience and an Angel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Naperville, Illinois
“Extraordinary Experience and an Angel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

On October 13th my son and his bride were married at Eagle Ridge Resort. For a Rehearsal dinner my wife and I wanted the Wedding Party to experience the downtown area of Galena. We made arrangements with another facility and on a visit from Chicago to the restaurant 3 weeks before the wedding we were told the restaurant did not have our reservation. In a panic we walked the streets of Galena looking for another place. By pure luck a local establishment that was too small to hold our event (50 guests) suggested the DeSoto House. When we went to the Desoto House we were greeted by Deb Bertucci the Banquet Sales Manager. Deb was awesome...she felt our frustration and sense of panic and quickly took care of us. Deb created a menu, the Italian Feast and made all the arrangements in 30 minutes. Deb was an angel. The food was very good, the servers were outstanding and the Rehearsal Dinner was perfect. Thank you Ms. Bertucci...you were a life saver and a true angel I would highly recommend the DeSoto House and Ms Bertucci for any special event...they were just great! Thank You Desoto House! We'll be back! Bruce and Jean T.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed at the Desoto Hotel for (2) days (week days) and enjoyed staying in town.This was our 2nd stay at the Desoto. We have stay at hotels / Inns around Galena where we had to drive to town and we have stayed in a cottage that we had to walk 10 minutes. We prefer the convenience of the Desoto along with the parking garage. We could shop and drop our purchases into the car and not have to take them back to the hotel room. Our room was clean and in good shape. The maids were very friendly and good. We had a parlor room with a fireplace which was nice with the cooler temperatures in October. Our only improvement to the room would be to arrange the furnature to make it more "cozy" and add a TV in the fireplace room. Our breakfast in the Courtyard restaurant was included in the room rate. The breakfasts were excellant as was the wait staff there. We would return to the Desoto.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandPam
Roselle, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have been staying at the DeSoto for weekend getaways for over 15 years. The location right in the heart of town can not be beat. The rooms have been consistently large and clean. They have often accommodated us by giving us a roll-away so we don't have to split into 2 rooms. The one thing I'd like in the rooms would be a small refrigerator to store restaurant leftovers or food items we buy that need to stay cold. The Courtyard restaurant serves a fine breakfast and buffet with excellent service. I had a good experience almost 15 years ago with the Generals Restaurant, and it was good, and the facilities have just been updated, but I didn't try it. I don't care too much for the Green St. Tavern, as service was very sporadic considering there was only two tables with customers. Over the years I've found the desk staff to be both very helpful or quite quirky. This visit was quirky. Overall I will always try to stay at the DeSoto when stopping in Galena.

Room Tip: I always forget that if you get a courtyard room, you are not on an "outside" wall. I lik...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzi P
Glendale Heights, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

My sister and I were thrilled to be staying at the DeSoto House. We booked our room months in advance. I cannot imagine how someone could review this hotel as clean. We stayed in the Tom Thumb room. The carpeting was a green shag, 70s type, and it was FILTHY - filthy, not just soiled - with dried-in dirt and stains throughout the room. Clearly it had not been cleaned in a very long time. The smell of cooking odors came through the ventilation system into our room. The hallway smelled of cigarette smoke. The black metal chandelier that hangs outside the rear entry doors to the Green Street Tavern was covered in dust balls and cobwebs. Don't get the Italian beef sandwich in the Green Street Tavern - it is slices of processed, extremely salthy, dried-out shoeleather. The front desk person on duty upon my arrival and also the one in attendance the next day were both curt and stone-faced. I gave them my credit card when I booked on line. Upon arrival I was asked for my credit card at the front desk and gave it to them. I received no receipt; assumed I would receive it under the door the morning of checkout. Upon returning the room keys to the front desk at 8AM on check out day, I was intending to ask for my receipt. Instead, I was asked for my credit card???? On this day I will say that the attendants were both courteous and pleasant. I quietly told them about the filthy carpeting, not adding all the other concerns. They said the property manager would be calling me. It's a day and a half since I left there now, and no call. Clearly she's not overly concerned. Would never to back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sue100615
Lombard, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Everything was great and very cozy. They went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect. Everyone was friendly and helpful! The restaurants were all excellent, and the service was wonderful. The location was perfect, right in the middle of downtown Galena, with lots of shops right in the lobby of the hotel. The room was a perfect period piece from the 1800's, except for the modern plumbing; air-conditioning, which was cool and quiet; and the free Wi-Fi!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric L
Bloomington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at DeSoto House several times and have always been pleased. This time we stayed for three nights. The desk staff was friendly and courteous. We were very happy with the cleanliness of the room. We stay in many hotels, so we know what we are looking for. Breakfast was included in the package I purchased and included many choices from a full service menu. The hotel has a bar and restaurant and a newly remodeled nicer restaurant downstairs. A walking, biking path along a small scenic river is a block away. We ate at a different restaurant every night and never move our car out of the free hotel parking garage. I recommend that you request a room on the Main Street side, rooms overlooking the atrium could be noisy.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Independence, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We highly recommend staying at the DeSoto House in Galena, IL. The rooms are wonderful. The food at the hotel is absolutely delicious. The staff is so friendly and helpful. We had our 50 year class reunion there and the hotel staff, especially Deb Bertucci, worked so well with us to make it such a success. It's right on Main Street close to all the shops, the trolley tours and many other tourist attractions most of which are all in walking distrance. They also have a parking garage so you do not have to leave your car on the street overnight.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends