“Wonderful place to stay in Downtown Galena”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Very interesting place and the staff were friendly and helpful. I also went on one of the Ghost Tours that night and was intrigued by the history and paranormal events that have taken place there.
I would certainly recommend the DeSoto!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Maureen M

Reviewed 5 November 2012

If you want to see a town go all out for Halloween go to Galena. A town of about 3200 people swells to an estimated 12,000 for the parade. Parade can be 1 to 2 hours long, depending how many times the parade want to go through town. The starting point of the parade is right next to the DeSoto House Hotel. As another review says book well in advance (I already have reservations for the next 2 years). The hotel hosts a dinner, and will have people walking around the 1st floor in Halloween costumes. The streets outside are very crowded with people in costumes, and the hotel makes a nice starting point to get around the town. The Tavern is packed, even during the parade (hey people get cold). It will clear out after a while for dinners, and then get busy again around midnight. In a nutshell you can have a great time at the hotel, with or without the ghost dinner. It is convenient to the parade and town. Lots of fun. Look out for the spirits, eh, ghosts.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank JWal64
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Thankfully we reserved our room in advance. Every hotel for miles around was booked solid for the HAlloween parade in town and the DeSoto was no exception. When we arrived a nice young girl mentioned the haunted dinner and we jumped right on it. We had been up previously for a paranormal workshop but never knew about the haunted dinner. The room, like last time was gorgeous giving us the feeling of stepping back in tuime. The basil chicken at dinner was marvelous, we hear they have a new chef, and the presentation gave everyone a scare, even the presenter. We are actually looking forward to next years parade and dinner as well. The DeSoto House had outdone themselves this year. Everytime we visit, there is something new for us to do and the staff is always acomidating to our needs. Next year I will need to bring my camera.

Oh and the bartender Chris made some of the best drinks. He is a keeper.

Room Tip: They have some of the best paranormal activities I have seen in a long time and the hotel is worth e...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

On October 13th my son and his bride were married at Eagle Ridge Resort. For a Rehearsal dinner my wife and I wanted the Wedding Party to experience the downtown area of Galena. We made arrangements with another facility and on a visit from Chicago to the restaurant 3 weeks before the wedding we were told the restaurant did not have our reservation. In a panic we walked the streets of Galena looking for another place. By pure luck a local establishment that was too small to hold our event (50 guests) suggested the DeSoto House. When we went to the Desoto House we were greeted by Deb Bertucci the Banquet Sales Manager. Deb was awesome...she felt our frustration and sense of panic and quickly took care of us. Deb created a menu, the Italian Feast and made all the arrangements in 30 minutes. Deb was an angel. The food was very good, the servers were outstanding and the Rehearsal Dinner was perfect. Thank you Ms. Bertucci...you were a life saver and a true angel I would highly recommend the DeSoto House and Ms Bertucci for any special event...they were just great! Thank You Desoto House! We'll be back! Bruce and Jean T.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed at the Desoto Hotel for (2) days (week days) and enjoyed staying in town.This was our 2nd stay at the Desoto. We have stay at hotels / Inns around Galena where we had to drive to town and we have stayed in a cottage that we had to walk 10 minutes. We prefer the convenience of the Desoto along with the parking garage. We could shop and drop our purchases into the car and not have to take them back to the hotel room. Our room was clean and in good shape. The maids were very friendly and good. We had a parlor room with a fireplace which was nice with the cooler temperatures in October. Our only improvement to the room would be to arrange the furnature to make it more "cozy" and add a TV in the fireplace room. Our breakfast in the Courtyard restaurant was included in the room rate. The breakfasts were excellant as was the wait staff there. We would return to the Desoto.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnandPam
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I have been staying at the DeSoto for weekend getaways for over 15 years. The location right in the heart of town can not be beat. The rooms have been consistently large and clean. They have often accommodated us by giving us a roll-away so we don't have to split into 2 rooms. The one thing I'd like in the rooms would be a small refrigerator to store restaurant leftovers or food items we buy that need to stay cold. The Courtyard restaurant serves a fine breakfast and buffet with excellent service. I had a good experience almost 15 years ago with the Generals Restaurant, and it was good, and the facilities have just been updated, but I didn't try it. I don't care too much for the Green St. Tavern, as service was very sporadic considering there was only two tables with customers. Over the years I've found the desk staff to be both very helpful or quite quirky. This visit was quirky. Overall I will always try to stay at the DeSoto when stopping in Galena.

Room Tip: I always forget that if you get a courtyard room, you are not on an "outside" wall. I lik...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzi P
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My sister and I were thrilled to be staying at the DeSoto House. We booked our room months in advance. I cannot imagine how someone could review this hotel as clean. We stayed in the Tom Thumb room. The carpeting was a green shag, 70s type, and it was FILTHY - filthy, not just soiled - with dried-in dirt and stains throughout the room. Clearly it had not been cleaned in a very long time. The smell of cooking odors came through the ventilation system into our room. The hallway smelled of cigarette smoke. The black metal chandelier that hangs outside the rear entry doors to the Green Street Tavern was covered in dust balls and cobwebs. Don't get the Italian beef sandwich in the Green Street Tavern - it is slices of processed, extremely salthy, dried-out shoeleather. The front desk person on duty upon my arrival and also the one in attendance the next day were both curt and stone-faced. I gave them my credit card when I booked on line. Upon arrival I was asked for my credit card at the front desk and gave it to them. I received no receipt; assumed I would receive it under the door the morning of checkout. Upon returning the room keys to the front desk at 8AM on check out day, I was intending to ask for my receipt. Instead, I was asked for my credit card???? On this day I will say that the attendants were both courteous and pleasant. I quietly told them about the filthy carpeting, not adding all the other concerns. They said the property manager would be calling me. It's a day and a half since I left there now, and no call. Clearly she's not overly concerned. Would never to back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family