“Anniversary Getaway”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was our second stay at the DeSoto House Hotel. We enjoyed it so much our last visit we decided to celebrate our Anniversary there and booking a midweek special. With the special we were able to stay in the Parlour Suite at a reduced rate, and received free lunch tickets for the Green Street Tavern located inside the hotel. The special also included complimentary tickets for a trolley ride, museum admit and Linmar Gardens to use during our stay. Our room was awesome, loved having the extra sitting room w/ fireplace. Housekeeping service was excellent, and the Green Street Tavern has a great menu with very good food. Loved having the Courtyard Rest. also available right inside the hotel to get a great breakfast to start off each day if we chose to. However our best experience was returning to our room after a day of shopping to find a complimentary bottle of wine, 2 wine glasses and a wine bottle opener as an anniversary gift from the hotel. We have reservations to return in October!

Room Tip: Check the midweek specials which allow you to stay in a room that is more expensive during peak time...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Wow oh wow! This place is amazing and right in the middle of Main Street. I loved everything about it. I got an AARP rate but upgraded to an Internet special (check before you book) and received for a few dollars more a gift certificate for dinner there (ended up completely free), tickets to a museum, a DeSoto candy bar, historical brochure about the hotel, etc. The room also comes with fee bottled water. I booked a parlor room with a separate room with a fireplace and found it charming. All décor in the hotel is 19th century. All three restaurants were very fine. The high-end “Generals” was lovely and I had the best fish I ever ate in my life there. The 4-story atrium restaurant was so pleasant and breakfast was good. All hotel personnel were helpful and friendly. Oh, and it has covered parking. After you register they tell you where it is – it’s very inconspicuous since the entrance is an old barn entrance! Took the trolley tour too. Very informative. Galena is a great get-away.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Our first time to Galena and we stay at the historic DeSoto House. Check in was very easy and our room was very clean and comfortable. We were in Galena for a short getaway with 2 other couples. Nice location where you can park when you get there and then not drive until you check out.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of Green St.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank gillihan989
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just returned from staying at the DeSoto House in Galena IL.
An awesome experience! I spend over 150 nights a year in hotels, so I get jaded and unhappy quickly with underperforming properties ..... DeSoto house is NOT one of these!!
This is a property with a very interesting history going back to 1850's. The hotel is in excellent condition with a great restaurant and pub. The quality of the food is excellent and the wait staff also very good!
Our rooms were extremely comfortable and well appointed capturing the "old world" style. Everything is clean and fresh.
They have a private parking garage for their guests, which is terrific, as downtown Galena is very "challenged" with public parking on the Main Street.
Heading back there for the fall colors!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank olbear1962
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Menu and service were commendable. But the real reason for eating her is for the ambiance. I felt like I should have been dressed for the turn of the last century. Several vegetarian items on the menu.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Siampayne
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Desoto House Hotel is a lovely old hotel. The hotel is up to date but still has the charm of an older hotel. We booked a room on the third floor facing Main Street. The room was spotless, very large, cheerful, bright with a high ceiling and it was quiet (we were near the very end of the front rooms) even though we faced Main Street. The bed was comfortable and we appreciated the WIFI. I would not stay in an atrium room if you like quiet and brightness. The back rooms don't have the large windows (we had three in our room). I thought given the price that the hotel should offer better towels. The towels were thin and you are provided just one towel each, It would have been nice to have a mini refrigerator. This hotel is right in town with free parking and I looked at the other hotels in the area and I know I made the right decision in choosing this hotel. For two nights the price was $460.00 including tax. I don't think I will be back to Galena but if I returned I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the third floor overlooking Main Street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baseball111997
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We did not actually stay at the hotel, but with its rich history, it's worth a visit if you're on your way through. We had good service at the bar, then walked around and admired. The old hotel is very historic. On another occasion, we had lunch, which was quite good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends