“Great location, huge room”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
London
“Great location, huge room”
Reviewed 23 July 2008

De Soto house is right in the middle of Main Street so really easy to find when you come into town. The decor is a little old fashioned but it goes with the history of the hotel. It didn't look worn though. The floor we were on had named rooms which was a nice touch. Breakfast was good and very yummy (waffles!) Parking was good and really convenient.

When we came to check out, it took some effort to get an itemised bill and then the bill didn't include our breakfast or the drinks we'd had the night before and the person on reception didn't seem to be bothered by this (good thing we are honest!)

• Liked — Location and history of the hotel
  • Disliked — Front desk on check out but wasn't too bad
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingNicx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Dubuque
Reviewed 10 July 2008

It was a fairy tale wedding. The meal was one of the best that I have ever had. The food was of high quality and served in a very professional manner. All the staff from the sales manager to the serving staff did a great job in making sure that all of my guest were treated well and my wedding was perfect. The banquet hall was decorated beautifully. It took us back in time to an era when life was simplier. This is not the usual cookie cutter hotel and maybe some of the fixtures could be updated, but this grand old hotel (over 150 years old) beats any new accomodations. The hotel even has great free wi-fi coverage, if needed. The guest rooms could use some minor updates but overall the room was very clean and neat. The location of the hotel on Main Steet with the attached parking garage are worth their weight in gold. What a cool old hotel! We will be back on our anniversary.

• Liked — Historical hotel and location
  • Disliked — could use bigger televisions
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracyjo1972
Chicago
Reviewed 27 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Desoto House Memorial Day weekend for our 1st wedding anniversary. I will agree with many of the reviews that the location and parking were great, but that was the best part. We stayed in room 207 and had a view of the main street. I thought we payed way too much $183 a night for a horrible bed, slanted room that smelled musty. We were given 2 bath towels total and an old fraying bathmat. Our bath soap/shampoo was never refilled. This place is definitely in need of some upgrades for the hefty room rates.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bed was awful
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bfish527
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2007

My wife and I have stayed many times at the DeSoto House. It's convenience and accessibility to Main Street is unmatched. The hotel has a wonderful ambience of history and the center courtyard is a attractive feature. Unfortunately, this last stay will probably be our final one. Our room was 313, the Stephen Douglas room. We has previously stayed in this room and enjoyed the view of downtown and the long stairway up the hill. Because of it's age, there are some quirks and idiosyncrasies in the hotel, which can be part of it's charm. Some of the furnishings and decor are becoming worn and need updating. The floors slope and there's often an odor that older buildings possess. Upon entering our room, we both noticed a moldy/musty odor. When we returned to our room later that evening, the smell was overpowering. The windows are all painted shut. It was too late to think about moving to another room, so we put the bathroom fan on and got through the night. When I checked out, I mentioned the problem to the front clerk, but got little response. Since we paid over $250 for the night, I felt disappointed.

• Liked — access to downtown
  • Disliked — condition of hotel room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Rockabeat
Iowa
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We just returned from a Friday-Saturday stay. First of all the good things....you can't beat the location. It was wonderful not to have to get into your car and drive, find a parking spot, drive back to your hotel or worry about over time parking. The staff was more than friendly and with a full house and three weddings, that says alot in itself. The 'no smoking" policy in the rooms is by far one of the best yet. We did not eat dinner or breakfast at the hotel, but did have lunch in the Green Street Tavern and it was very good and I must say the best bloody mary's that I have had in a long time. The room and overall hotel does need some attention. The entrance, hallways, and elevators all need new carpet. With the price of the room per night, I would think that they could afford to have a better mattress on the beds, newer carpet and updated bathroom fixtures. The floor in our room.....#309, overlooking main street was so un-level that I felt like I was falling out of bed. It would also be nice to have a "limited' room servce menu. Overall the experience was just that and we were glad that we did it, but most likely won't do it again.

• Liked — Indoor parking, close to shopping.
  • Disliked — Way over priced for the facility
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank iowatravellady
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Just spent Saturday night 10/6 in Galena at the Desoto House. As this was Country Fair weekend and the busiest weekend of the year in Galena,we were very happy to find a cancellation for a quick one night stay.
We had an inside room with a view of the inner courtyard,. The room was very comfortable,ac worked very well and was a good place to sleep after a long day of shopping. The Desoto House is the best place to stay on a busy weekend as it is right in the center of town and their parking deck is very convenient. We didnt move the car until we left for home.
The only concern we had was with check out. This old hotel still uses keys for their doors and so you must check out when leaving. As the hotel was full there was a very long line and,even though the lady was doing a very good job,it took forever to finish the paperwork.
All in all a very good stay at the Desot o House!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Check out
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bbref
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 15 September 2007

For its historical value alone this hotel would have been worth a stop, but it was much more than that. They have managed to modernise the hotel without taking from its old past. When in the lobby you don't expect two lifts to be available just around the corner. There is a very fine stairs in the lobby and with the general old ambience of the lobby area, I expected to have to use this stairs. I did however use it once I got my luggage packed away. It was just a pleasure to walk down this fine stairs.

The rest of the hotel was equally a pleasure to be in. It has historical photos all over the place and no wonder as General Ulysses Grant was from here and ran his presidential campaign from this hotel. Abraham Lincoln spoke from the hotel balcony. It is the oldest continually working hotel in Illinois. It was great.

I am not just being patriotic here, but if you would like another choice the Irish Cottage (hotel, bar retail) is just about a mile south on the I20. It looked great when we went there for a meal.

• Liked — The whole history of the place
  • Disliked — I liked it all.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends