“Perfect location”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Villa Park, Illinois
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This week-end my husband and I stayed at the Desoto House. We enjoy the location because in seconds we are on Main Street shopping and finding food. Yes, the hotel is older and really could use some spiffing up but it is cared for pretty well. The beds were comfy and the staff helpful and was a very quiet visit. We overlooked the restaurant area so view was poor but we also got the last room available for that evening. Parking is free if you are staying there..and parking is hard to find in Galena. The restaurant that is across from where you check-in was a bit of a disappointment. Two times we tried to dine there and found the waitresses completly ignore you. We ended up ordering our drinks from the bar. The women sitting next to us said they also had a hard time getting waited on.

Room Tip: Try for an outside room or you will find yourself looking over a restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My sister, our sons and myself all stayed there recently. We had a room that overlooked the main street. There was nothing I didn't like about the room!!! The ceiling's must be 20 ft high, the décor of the room is warm and beautiful. In fact, upon entering the room for the first time they had all the lamps on and curtains drawn close and it smelled great. Like vanilla!!! Made it feel so comfortable!!!! Beds are soft, floors are very uneven(which we all loved). The Desoto is so charming!!! Staff is very friendly and helpful. We loved the history of the place and all the framed pictures throughout the hotel with historic facts. Also, their parking garage is fantastic!!! We had breakfast in the courtyard and dinner in the General's restaurant. Amazing!!! We will be back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Nauvoo, IL
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been coming to stay at the DeSoto House for almost 20 years and have NEVER had a bad stay. Yes, it's "dated" - it is afterall an historic landmark - but it's not like you have to go to the privy out back or bathe in a communal tub on Saturday nights. It has ALL the things you would expect in a classy hotel. And The Generals' Restaurant and Green Street Tavern are second to none. The staff are all excellent as well.
My most recent stay was the weekend before Halloween 2013, highlighted by the annual Halloween dinner. This year featured local actors portraying local haunts telling their stories firsthand. The "script" was very well-written; the performances spooky and very entertaining. Even if you never met any of the actual ghosts of Galena, this was just as good! If they "haunt" again, I will be there. The production (and meal) were the highlight of the weekend. Thanks, Women of Courage and Main Street Players and the DeSoto House!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here for 1 night last weekend. The location is awesome, but that was all I felt was awesome about the hotel. I get that it's historic, but it is incredibly dated. The room was clean, but didn't feel clean because everything was so old. The room also smelled like some sort of old powder. My nose and back of my throat were burning within 5 minutes of being in the room. It is also very overpriced. We paid over $190 for the 1 night. The parking garage is nice, but it is very difficult to maneuver an SUV through because it's so tight. Overall, I would consider staying here again strictly because of it's location, but I will probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stg4564
Lake Geneva, WI
Reviewed 31 October 2013

If you are interested in ghosts and enjoy staying in places with lots of spirit activity, this is a great place for you! I was down in Galena for a girls weekend during all the Halloween festivities and we had so much fun we are planning on doing it every year! My mom and I walked the halls of the hotel at night snapping random photos, in one of the photos there appeared to be a child sitting on the floor. Lots of orbs and random shadows were seen in our room, we stayed in 231. They did a lovely show Saturday night acting out some of the famous stories that lead to this haunted city. The room was super clean, the staff was helpful and the courtyard restaurant was delicious!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank swan318
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We scheduled the weekend before we knew it was Country Fair weekend and it was fortunate. The hotel was sold out. We were a block from the foot bridge that ended at the fair and got to see all the craftsmen. The hotel once again went out of their way for us and made us feel like family. We had great conversations with many of the people who are part of the DeSoto House. I can't call them employees because they're more than that to us. We had a very nice room and found out that our previous stay had included an encounter with one of the many spirits that linger in this historic place. Downtown welcomed us once again with friendly smiles as we made the rounds. There's no place like it.

Room Tip: There are two two-room parlor suites with fireplaces. But if you like to watch tv, don't choose...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked a 1 night stay at the DeSoto House. You really can't beat the location. Right downtown in the middle of all the shopping,eating and drinking establishments. I loved the parking garage
to keep the Harley safe, secure and out of the weather.
The room was roomy, the bed comfortable. The hotel seemed quiet despite a full house. Unlike a few years ago when we stayed here during a wedding and reception.
The breakfast buffet was good.
The only downside is that it seems a bit expensive, but that's the price you pay for the great location....I guess

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple