DeSoto House Hotel
Best Western Designer Inn & Suites(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$77
US$83
US$80
Ramada Galena Hotel and Day Spa(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$81
Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$158
Stoney Creek Inn(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$90
Travelocity
Grant Hills Motel(Galena)(Great Value!)
US$65
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsparking garagegreen street taverncourtyard restaurantmain streetgeneral's restaurantdeb bertucciroot beeroldest hotelhistorical hotelsusan babraham lincolnheart of downtowncorner roomwithin walking distancetrolley ridequiet roommy husband and i
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here with another couple over Thanksgiving weekend '13. Huge and very nice hotel with an enormous amount of history. We stayed in the "Thomas Nast" room which was very large. We didn't eat at the hotel but the bar was a nice place to stop by for a while. The hotel also couldn't be better located right on Main St. in the heart of Galena.

It's amazing how many legendary 19th/early 20th century figures stayed at the DeSoto. If you're a history dork like I am or you're into potentially haunted places then this place is right in your wheelhouse. I would definitely recommend the DeSoto if you're looking for a nice hotel in the center of everything in Galena.

Room Tip: The third floor is apparently haunted!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is a wonderful, historic hotel nestled right on Main Street! We had made a special request at check-in that was cheerfully filled without a blink of an eye! The staff is superb, knowledgable and professional. What a great place!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our stay in General's Row.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our Business held it's Christmas party at the Hotel. Service was excellent and the food was very well presented. Offering several selections I chose the Strip Steak and it was delicious as were the potatoes. Dessert was a choice of 3 different cakes.... I chose lemon, and a great choice it was they also offered a generous scoop of ice cream (vanilla) that was very good as well. If you are looking for a historical property to visit, stay and eat the Desoto should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We loved the bed and breakfast feel of our room, and on our visit the staff was pleasant. We had a great time in the little town, the food was excellent (we did eat at the hotel once), and it was overall a good weekend. However, in the morning we did notice a rather large patch of mold/mildew in the bedroom and when I emailed the hotel upon returning home to inform them of the room number and the issue, I expected to receive at the very least an email in return apologizing or at least recognizing my email. I feel if an issue isn't recognized and addressed, then it remains an issue and isn't reconciled. Do remember it is an old building and may have moisture issues.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo C
DominiqueCross, General Manager at DeSoto House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the DeSoto House. I'm glad that in many ways you did enjoy your stay! I do apologize that you did not receive a response to your email, I sincerely believe it was an oversight. Please visit again soon!

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The DeSoto house, located on the main shopping strip, is just what the title of this review says. We were not disappointed. Though we did not spend a lot of time in the room, we found it comfortable. The room felt like a bed and breakfast, but with the amenities of a larger hotel.

We would stay here again for the location but preferred The Irish Cottage.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple