“Return Visitor”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
“Return Visitor”
Reviewed 12 March 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Desoto House last summer so we decided to stay there again. Again, we were not disappointed. The weather was beautiful which made our weekend even better. No complaints about our room. I think they have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Their breakfast buffet on Sundays is a must. We ate down the street for a regular breakfast of two eggs/2 sausage/and three peices of french toast for $7.50 on Saturday and thought the $9.95 Sunday buffet was a better deal. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank crazy4dabeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Reviewed 25 January 2006

Excellent location, right on the main drag in Galena. The rooms are beautiful and the whole atmosphere gives you an idea of what old-style hotel luxury must have been like. A bit pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank WEWITKOW
Reviewed 22 January 2006

the hotel it's self is a charming antique with modern amenities,
plenty of history to explore both in the hotel and the city it's self.
My wife and I stayed the first week of november and enjoyed shopping and sight seeing.
Plenty of little shops along the street that you can walk to, and trolly rides to visit historical landmarks.
The Hotel restraunt could do with a more varied menu for dinner, But breakfast was just great, In fact i could smell it cooking from my room and I was ready.

parking is easy with the private garage,

very few TV channels but if your there to watch TV you are really missing out on what the city has to offer.

this one is a real gem with a polite helpful staff and clean pleasant rooms.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2005

We stay at the Desoto House every year - but it's more for the fact that its the only actual hotel in Galena that's right downtown - its within walking distance of well, everything. This is not to say that we don't enjoy staying there, the rooms are all very lovely, but I believe time has taken its toll on them and its time for some repairs - especially for the price. There's nothing awful about the rooms - the views can be Amazing and they are very comfortable, just the little things that one notices like the fact that the shower heads are shorter than me and I am five foot three! But we always have a wonderful time and the atmosphere of the entire hotel definetely adds! All in all even though it seems a little over-priced I would never stay anywhere else in Galena!

• Stayed November 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 August 2004

We didn't just stay at the DeSoto House, we had an entire wedding there and it couldn't have been better. Deb Bertucci and the rest of the staff at DeSoto House were amazingly professional, helpful, accommodating and so understanding. They were available to me and my husband as we started planning for the wedding and reception back in January through to the wedding itself last Saturday, when my son and daughter-in-law said "I Do", and even afterward during the reception dinner in the beautiful Ball Room and dancing down in the Courtyard. Deb was a wonderful source of ideas and information on just about all aspects of the wedding. As a destination wedding, we think this was hard to beat. All our wedding guests were very impressed with the historic DeSoto House Hotel itself, and with the town of Galena which offers so much to visitors. Thanks again to Deb and everyone at the DeSoto House Hotel.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 August 2004

We held a rehearsal dinner for our son's wedding at the DeSoto and quite of few wedding guests stayed at the hotel. The staff worked very hard to accommodate all of our requests and 'went the extra' mile to ensure that we had a lovely set up in the room, adequate service staff and good food. They even altered their standard menu at our request. Our guests raved.

8 Thank glschicago
Reviewed 16 August 2004

Staying at the DeSoto house was a dream I always had during my many visits to historic Galena. However, one very cold November, we unfortunately had an inside room (no outside windows) and were unable to control the heat. Our room reached about 90 plus degrees and the only option we had was to sleep with our hall door open!

It was explained that the heat could not be controlled.

This unfortunately made the entire experience a nightmare.

• Stayed January 2005