“Budget friendly,clean, no frills Motel.”
Review of Grant Hills Motel

Grant Hills Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

We were in Galena for a Family function on a busy, Hot, June weekend. The Motel was easy to get to, just South of downtown on a beautiful stretch of Hwy 20. As we pulled in we saw a bunch of Harley Davidson motorcycles lined up, and my Mother got a little nervous. Our room was neat, clean, the Air worked, small fridge worked great, and the bathroom was big, fully stocked and Clean!
Ritz Carlton it was not, but it had every thing we needed. After a very hot afternoon spent in Grant's park at the Memorial function we were there for, we came back and relaxed in the pool! Could use a little TLC, but we were happy, & a couple others joined us for a refreshing float. The Motorcycles belonged to a group that are from all over the States, they get together once a year somewhere where the riding is good. They were very nice, and we really didn't hear much, even when they took off! All in all we would come back. If you want a froo froo experience or a Spa, not the place for you, but if your there to explore the territories, and want somewhere comfy, clean, and budget( and Pet) friendly this is the spot! Thanks to the OFOPOS for being great neighbors!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank callajester
There are newer reviews for Grant Hills Motel

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My sister in law and I booked two rooms for the 17th and 18th of May. I was going to bring my dog who has heart disease. I was leary but the staff went out of their way to put me in a room where the dog wouldn't be disturbed and where the dog wouldn't disturb others.

We arrived at about 2:00 in the afternoon (one hour before time to check in and WITHOUT my dog since I had found someone to care for her while I was away). Immediately the staff (owner?) lowered my rate because I didn't have the dog, which was nice. We got our keys and went in to a small but VERY VERY clean room. It wasn't new but that just made it feel more like Galena! There were nice windows looking out the back over a large, neatly mowed lawn. I liked it there.

I unpacked a couple of things then went to my sis in laws room to get her so we could go on into Galena and have a look around but she met me at the door sobbing. She had just gotten a call from her cousin (who was dog sitting for HER dog) who told her that Jake had collapsed and was at the vet. Jake has no history of illness, unlike my Daisy who we expect to have a quick turn of events. We immediately went back to the front desk and told the clerk (owner?) what happened. She didn't hesitate one moment. She just asked for our credit cards so she could reverse the charges and told us that she hoped Jake would be alright.

If this had been a large chain, we would have forfeited at least one night!

Jake is alive but he is a very sick little guy. Nobody is sure what happened to him yet but so far, it seems his liver is failing.

Thank you to Grant Hills Motel for their understanding and compassion!!! When I get to come back to Galena, I won't even consider staying anywhere else!!

Room Tip: Single rooms are full size beds and a bit small. Great for one person though!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank TravelinTena
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The Grant Hills Motel is an older mom & pop type motel. Maybe built in the 1960's. However the rooms have been updated. The room we had was clean, the bed was comfortable, plus Wi-Fi and cable tv. No breakfast, but that was fine, as most Cont. Breakfasts are not that great. We prefer to have a good breakfast at a restaurant.
So if you do not want the B&B experience in Galena, save the $$ and and spend it on a good breakfast and dinner.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank D C
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Clean & affordable motel on US 20 about 1 mile from downtown Galena. Pros: wireless, fully equipped community kitchen, on site laundry, pool, & very accommodating staff. Cons: located on highway. Families might find kitchen useful for cooking as well as large backyard with BBQ & games. Variety of room offerings.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Bikinglibrarian
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Well usually once a year we take a motorcycle ride out to Galena from Mount Prospect with our friends. We always try to stay at the cheapest place by checking Hotels,com and if they have open rooms we stay at Grant Hills.
Last year we stayed on the lower level in the back...the room was a little dated but very clean...in the back its very quite.
This last weekend we stayed up top in unit 14 which had 2 double beds.
The unit was clean and the hostess was very nice....I recommend the Grant Hills Hotel to anyone that just needs a simple room for sleeping....they even have hot coffee in the morning.

STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ericl61
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Recently enjoyed yet another fun weekend with fun folks at the Grant Hills Motel in beautiful Galena, IL, an annual event! The Motel staff is always warm and welcoming, and happily accomodates everyone in our motorcycle group.The staff offered suggestions for "take out" food, and provided menus from local eateries that offered varieties of food for every taste! The motel is simple, "no frills" ,but all necessary amenities, and is very CLEAN, and comfortable! The A/C was working fine....thankfully, as the weather was really hot,and steamy! The motel staff allowed us, ( a large group of Motorcycle riders) to gather, visit and chat well into the evening hours. It was a pleasant visit, as always, with good friends and wonderful hosts! The lady at the check-in addressed me by my first name; having remembered our visit last summer! Impressive! Another big plus....they never ran out of ice!! Great time was enjoyed by all! Very relaxing get away! We'll surely plan to go back to Grant Hills again next year!

Room Tip: We prefer rooms closest to the office for complimentatry coffee,menus for restaurants, take out sugg...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Harleychick14
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at the well cared for Grant Hills Motel. We were traveling with our daughter and 2 dogs for a long weekend. The Grant Hill was so accommodating,offering us a lovely CLEAN room with good beds and a sound nights sleep along with a good cup of coffee in the morning a hot shower and a great property to walk the dogs on. All at a fair price! We will stay there again when we come this way. Thank You!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family