“Off the Beaten Path”

Description: Breakfast and Lunch
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

On the east side of Galena, Otto's Place is a small building that was built across the old train depot. The building was built in 1899 by Otto Sallman to be a restaurant and tasting room. It has housed many businesses over the years and the current owners have been true to the original owner's plan (and his name)- a restaurant. The food offerings are healthy and taste like home cooking. Noted on the menu vegetarian and organic options. Usually offerings are for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is offered on the weekends. We went for breakfast. Portions are generous and delicious. I had the quiche. They say it is whatever the chef chooses to make for the day. My friend had oatmeal, well prepared and delicious. Definitely a must go to place when visiting Galena.

Visited June 2014

Minnesota
“Wonderful meal and delightful staff”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Had dinner at Otto's on the recommendation of our B & B innkeeper. We had fun cocktails, a great meal and took home a piece of icebox cake for dessert and it was delish! The staff was very attentive and friendly. Would go back again when in the area.

Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still my favorite:)”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Love this place, will continue to stop here every time I'm in town!! Had lunch before, but came in on a Saturday and was bummed we could only order brunch. However I had the quiche of the day with fruit, husband had biscuits with sausage, eggs, gravy all were very very good. Best part was we shared a slice of cinnamon French toast and it was AMAZING!

Chicago
“Good breakfast but rude service from the hostess”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friend and I went to Otto's for breakfast based on the rave reviews it receives. We were seated upstairs immediately and our waitress was friendly and competent. The breakfast selection was good and we enjoyed our omelet and Mexican eggs. The waitress brought our check and we paid it but asked for another cup of coffee. Before we had finished drinking our coffee, the hostess asked us to vacate our table so someone else could use it. Perhaps this would be appropriate if we had lingered a long time and there was a long line of people waiting to get in but neither was the case. Since it was clear we were unwelcome, we left immediately. As we left, we noticed that no one was waiting for a table; in fact there were three vacant tables on the first floor. This unpleasant interruption put a damper on what could have been a good experience and I don't think I would return to this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank ArielChicago
John S, Owner at Otto's Place, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for the review of your visit on Sunday June 1st. We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast selections. Our hostess informed me of the situation and I apologize for any misunderstanding or miscommunication. From the time your check was opened until you were presented with the check was an hour and a half, typically we assume that amount of time is sufficient for 2 people to enjoy breakfast. The open tables that appeared to be available on the first floor were reserved for larger groups coming in, and we had an additional 18 people waiting for a table. This is why the hostess politely asked if you would mind moving to our comfortable lounge area so you could continue to enjoy your beverages and conversation while freeing a table for someone else to sit down and enjoy a meal. We always appreciate it when people like to visit at Otto’s and we try our best to accommodate everyone who wishes to enjoy a good meal in a timely manner. As we are a small establishment with only 48 seats it is important that we try to control the flow as best we can. I apologize for any misunderstandings. John Slimp, Co-Owner of Otto’s Place.
Galena, Illinois
“Quaint, Delicious, Friendly”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Otto's Place has become a fixture in Galena for locals (and tourists) that know good food. John, one of the co-owners, usually welcomes his guests at the door, then Dan, the other co-owner, swoops them off their feet with a delicious menu of original recipes, each one of them clean, wholesome, uncluttered, and plentiful. I had their Linguiça Sausage Omelet that had just the right amount of "bite" to it and hearty as any one person needs! It was served with fresh fruit and an English Muffin, but they'll serve whatever sides one prefers. My wife had their Quiche with Wild Crab, Scallion and Little Mountain Cheese (whatever that is). She absolutely loved it!

Looking at the table next to us (I know, one is not supposed to do that) we saw four other breakfasts that looked delectable. Too bad we couldn't keep on eating!

• Visited June 2014