“Save room for bread pudding”
Review of Embe

Embe
Ranked #22 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Also has a fully stocked bar.
Reviewed 22 May 2014

6 of us were walking in Galena trying to decide where to eat lunch. A kind lady overheard us and pointed out this restaurant across the street and recommended it. We took her advice and we weren't disappointed. Most of us ordered a sandwich. They were served with delicious chips for a side. I ordered a sandwich referred to as "a sensible portion". It was a perfect size and I could save some room for the delicious warm bread pudding. Our waitress was friendly and checked on us. Great atmosphere and very clean.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were lured inside for lunch by a sign on the window mentioning bread pudding with rum sauce. Our waiter was very good: friendly and upbeat. The food was delicious and filling, and I'm still daydreaming about the bread pudding. The interior is interesting with cool artwork. I bet the bar area is a lot of fun at night.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

After coming to Galena and exclusively dining at Embe many times to eat lunch and savor their delicious Hot Bread Pudding for dessert, I had great service with the woman waiter (perhaps owner?), but during this ONE VISIT, she left the store for an hour or two, the waiter with the cool bald hair-do became so nervous and jumpy (although he had another very friendly waiter as a back up) that when he brought me a COLD bread pudding "to go," I asked him to kindly warm it. He loudly scolded me in front of about 5 other couples, "Listen,YOU better learn how to communicate better because I have a LOT of PEOPLE to take care of at the BAR!" He grabbed my cold bread pudding in obvious disgust and trudged rudely to the kitchen to warm it up. -- I I only had one second to clarify that this is the ONLY way I had ever had the "hot bread pudding to go -- Hot, never Cold. The other couples were mortified and frightened that this waiter was going to JUMP at them if they made any sudden or erroneous move. They all winked at me quietly as he strolled around being EXTRA FRIENDLY with the customers who were arriving for a large party ordering expensive drinks. It made me realize that my friend was probably right from the start. This is more of a BAR, not a nice quaint place to have a nice lunch with family. As soon as the more "lucrative" customers walked in, those of us in the dining area were just a "bother." It's such a shame that no matter how delicious the food is normally, I'd be afraid of this waiter having another "difficult" day and exploding at me again. :-( I'm sooo saaad! It was one of the MAIN REASONS I loved visiting downtown Galena! P.S. to my usually charming waiter: It's good business practice to always treat customers with respect and care. A good impression will be passed on 3 times; a bad one... to more than 7!!

1  Thank Jackie N
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was at the Embe Restaurant with friends on avery busy Galena week-end. The food and drinks was excellent as was the service. The waiter made you feel as if you were there for a party. He joked and made you feel very welcome. The soup was excellent as were our salads and sandwiches. My friends shared the bread pudding and it looked delicious!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had a delicious meal at Embe. The food is homemade, with about 17 deli style sandwiches and an assortment of fresh salads. The mushroom soup is a speciality of the house as is the bread pudding, which is made daily. I love bread pudding and this is one of the best I've ever had. I ordered the spinach salad which was really, really good. It had blue cheese, oranges, cranberries, and almonds, and the dressing is homemade with vanilla bean and balsamic vinegar. Savory! I had the Big Joe pastrami on sour dough bread with horseradish mustard - a perfect combination of everything. The beer, wine, and martini menu is extensive. The decor has a downtown hip feel, with large artwork on the wall depicting Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and other artists. There is live music on the weekends, and the kitchen stays open until the restaurant closes for the evening. My server was Courtney, who was efficient, attentive, and personable. Courtney also has a great haircut, and I think I'll go back for a delicious meal at Embe and a really good trim with her hairdresser!

1  Thank KatKen

Been to Embe? Share your experiences!