“Good Value”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The hotel was close to both the town of Galena and Dubuque, IA which made it very convenient no matter which way we wanted to go. It was clean and well maintained. We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, which was nice. We asked for an upper floor at the rear of the hotel (away from the roadway) which made it much quieter. The pool area, albeit far from being a "waterpark," had a big slide for the older kids and a small kiddie pool for the toddlers - the best thing about the pool was that there was not an extreme smell from the chlorine as at most indoor pool areas, yet the water was clear and the pool area was very clean. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful, although the weekend afternoon desk clerk seemed frazzled and came off as being a bit rude. I would stay probably stay there again if I am traveling with kids.

Room Tip: ask for an upper level room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
cx_gala, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your business and for sharing your experience. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

The staff throughout the hotel seemed friendly and helpful, which helped create a nice atmosphere. The pool area is nice and the slide is a nice feature. Things are generally clean and in good order in the rooms and general areas. However, the rooms are basic with older tv's, the bathrooms are very small (even in the suite we had), and the breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. With the exception of waffles, the "hot" food was rather tasteless and the eating area seemed cramped at times. The mattresses weren't all that comfortable.

When staying in Galena, there are better places closer to downtown for around the same price range. All in all not a bad experience just not memorable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review for our property. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel. A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. If you would like to discuss any specific suggestions or concerns you have regarding your experience please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 815-777-2400 as I would be happy to listen to any specific suggestions you may have.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I had a very nice stay at this Country Inn and Suits. Clean rooms and campus. Nice breakfast with hours that allowed you to sleep in a little. Nice little water slide for fun for the kids if you have them. Only down side was our room did not have a refrigerator or microwave that we've come to expect at this motel chain. Very close to the charming town of Galena.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I took a chance and boy was I disapointed. The day was sweltering when we arrived and after opening the room door a waft of smoke came out! The maid sprayed some Febreeze but the room still reeked! They offered an upgrade to another room. Here is the good part... it was a same type of standard room on the next floor up. Fine (not). We stayed in the room and got settled in then went down to the pool. More problems. They had the air conditioning shut off and it was like a Turkish bath with out the steam. I opened both of the emergency doors and propped some chairs up to them to hold them open. It reeked of clorine in there also.

Now, back to the cleanliness or lack of it. The room was heavily coated with dust and the carpet was very worn with something that looked like grease in the middle of the rug and long overdue for a good extrtaction (cleaning)! Also, I saw some brown stuff behind the toilet and I am pretty sure what it was. I will be filing a report with the Jo Davies county health inspectors who oversee such things.

Now to the food area (breakfast), I caught a quick glimpse of a couple of bugs scurrying to close for comfort to the eggs. I'm no entimologist but, they sure look like roaches to me. This will be included in my report as well! I wasn't hungry anymore.

Finally, the hotel reniged on my liesure rate for one of my 2 rooms. I recieved mine only because the manager said to me, it got by them and "I lucked out"! I turned the other room over to my niece who is in the Navy and after promising her a government liesure rate discount like mine and then reniging.

I would sugest going north on highway 20 20 miles to Dubuque where you will certainly get much better hotels and rates for sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from Galena as the town is an over run expensive tourist trap.
3  Thank ginger828
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding our hotel. We are an award winning hotel and regret that you were unhappy during your visit due to our goverment rate policy. Our guest health and saferty our our number one priority and if you would like to discuss this further contact me immedietlt at 815-777-2400.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The rooms were very spacious. We did not use the pool, but my sister and her daughter did and said they enjoyed it. The hotel is closed to several restaurants and Wal-Mart, which is convenient. The breakfast was good. There was a variety of items to choose from, both hot and cold. The only negative about the breakfast was that the room where it is served is tiny. When there are a lot of people in there, it's hard to move around and find a place to sit and eat. The Wi-Fi connection kept going in and out of service, but it is nice that the Wi-Fi is free. Rooms were well maintained and clean. We would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Just a short way from downtown Galena. Clean, quiet, comfortable. Seemed fairly new. Because this property has an indoor "water park" slide (both a very small one in a kiddie pool and a large one in the regular pool), I suspect that on weekends the pool area is really busy. We were there during the week and the pool area was fairly calm. We enjoyed our stay. We went out before breakfast, so can't comment about that. Yes, we would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank summersailor1
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I used to work cleaning rooms for a hotel chain, and I can tell you this hotel is very clean. The staff are very accommodating, and the breakfast is good. I travel a lot for work and have stayed at a lot of places, and this is one of my favorites. It's also a great hotel for kids as it has a water slide. I always use this hotel when in town.

Room Tip: Watch for deals on the internet or elsewhere as this hotel is a little pricy. But it is worth the mo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends