“Return Trip Amazing”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I had previously reviewed this property, but returned to find out that they have made some great changes. First off, the hotel & staff is amazing. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Our housekeeping person did a great job of making sure the room was very welcoming and clean. She even gave us 2 firmer pillows to use. One of the things I mentioned in my previous review is that they need to upgrade the TVs to flat screens, which they have now done. The other thing in my previous review was that the pool area needed a facelift. I am glad to say on the day we checked out the pool was closing for a week for renovations and upgrades. I am looking forward to the next visit to see these changes. One note of mention is the ladies that prepared the daily breakfast did an outstanding job keeping the food flowing. They were constantly moving back and forth and were very hard workers.
The only thing that I have to say is to the guests, many times just one person was setting at a breakfast table meant for 4 persons. Even with the smaller tables available. The other complaint is people just setting after eating and talking, these people should move to the lobby to open up tables. It is called consideration for others.

Room Tip: Rooms on a upper floor and on the back side of the building are the best. Request firmer pillows, th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott60538

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed on a Friday night and the kids pretty much had the pool to themselves. There was a fun waterslide that the kids (6, 9, 10, 12) entertained themselves for almost 6 hours Friday night and Saturday morning. There are signs up at the front desk that the pool will be closed for a while due to resurfacing. This is great as the bottom of the pool and hot tub looked pretty dirty when the water was still. The kids all got cut up by the waterslide (like rugburns, only slideburns!) but didn't seem to care because they were having fun. I think it may need some repairs as well. The arcade was good for the kids but they lost quite a few quarters in machines that were out of order without signs.
Breakfast was your standard Country Inn breakfast - eggs, sausage, potatoes (which I really which they would not season, they'd be better plain that with the seasonings!), waffles and some canned fruit. Not too bad but if you walked in the eating room without shoes, the ladies who we restocking the food VERY rudely commented about how you had to leave if you didn't go put socks & shoes on. Weird.... that was the first time I had ever heard that, and I was told 3 times by 3 different people in about 5 minutes (felt very uncomfortable as it seemed like they were looking down on us because the kids came from the pool and didn't have their flip flops on!).
The beds were cozy, we were able to check in an hour early. There weren't warm cookies but saran-wrapped ones instead. Overall a good stay and will bring the kids back!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor if you don't like taking the stairs. Get a room on the second floo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
cx_gala, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel. A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Thank you for sharing your impressions of the breakfast staff and pool area cleanliness, it is greatly appreciated. Our pool area is being renovated this week to provide our guest with a new fresh look. Unfortunately such renovations could not be completed until now due Galena being in its peak summer season. I also apologize for your concerns due to our shoes policy in our breakfast area. Our guest safety and security are our number one priority and this is why we enforce this rule. Please be assured your comments will be shared at our next meeting as a tool to better our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact us immediately in the future if you experience any issues as our staff is here to remedy situations when they occur. Thank you again for sharing these very important details and we hope upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations. If you have any other questions or suggestions please call me at 815-777-2400.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

stayed in a great room that was clean and comfy. nice pool, decent free breakfast and very friendly staff. granted us a late check out. no complaints! overall a pleasant stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was a comfortable stay. The pool was EXCELLENT. It's all indoor and I've never seen such a setup. There's a waterslide, deep swimming area, more shallow area, a hottub and a kiddie wading pool. Tons of lounge chairs too for those who don't want to go for a dip.

The beds were comfortable. I went with my bachelorette party and there were 5 of us there. 2 per bed and 1 in the fold out sofa. It was comfortable and quiet.

Breakfast was also fairly good. The eggs tasted a little funny but it was otherwise a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on our way to a fall color trip in Wisconsin and Michigan. Great hotel with good location close to all the fun things to do in Galena. Hotel staff was very helpful and our room was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was very good. Thumbs up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

THIS HOTEL ROCKS!!!!!!! I came out here from south dakota for a family reuniting and stayed here this has been one of the best stays at a hotel i have ever had ... special thanks to JESSICA who made my family reuniting banner thats was special and ment alot to me.... i still tear when i think of it. i stayed here at the hotel 10-25 to 10-28 i had a blast on the water slide my son says its awesome we had to fight with our selves to get out when we needed too cause we were haveing so much fun.... the front lobby for a country inn suites is sweet when u walk in u wouldnt know it was a country inn if missed all sighns.... the room amazing i loved ... thank u to STEPH,ABBY u guys were awsome cool and sweet .... TOM the maintanance guy was cool my ac had a leake poor guy wasnt on site was probaly sleeping at around 11pm but he came from home and had it fixed in no time flat the was impecable responce especialy considering he was probaly woken up to fix it that was awesome... BRITTANY,TINA,B,AND PLIAN JANE breakfast was super amazing... and DANA the G.M. was awesome and amazing .... the hotel i say should be #1 in galena on trip advisor ... this place is clean nice not far from walmart mc,Ds and a gas station right across the way also..... this hotel in my eyes from a scale of 1 - 10 - rate it a 100 u guys were amasing stay here again MOST DEFINATELY expect to see me here more .... thank you all at the hotel.... best stay ever.....

Room Tip: go for a king suite the are awsome door seperates bedroom from everything else in the room great for...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We chose this hotel from the Tripadvisor reviews. One caveat - we stayed over a Sunday and Monday nights, so the rates were significantly less and with a AAA discount. Some of the criticism for the rates do not apply to our stay (about $87 per night). The room was very clean and comfortable, with a nice shower. The only odd thing was a tapping noise in the wall on occassion, which I think is the plumbing or ventilation. I did not wake us up a night. The breakfast is quite good, with a very attentive staff, picking up your dishes and making waffles for you if you want. There is a hot choice that changes every day. The breakfast room can get crowded on an off morning, as it is small. I would expect the busy times can be really crowded. It is easy to find, as it is right on HWY 20. You have to drive to get to the downtown, but when we were there, it wasn't an issue. We didn't use the pool or water slide (actually I didn't see anyone ever using it).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple