“Always a pleasure!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
League City, Texas
“Always a pleasure!”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

For as many years as we've gone to the Irish Cottage in Galena, we are never disappointed. They are constant in the quality of their service. John the General Manager and Kathleen the Front Desk Manager are always on site to assist if needed. Their sincere concern and customer focus is evident. All of the servers and staff members were great but special thanks to Joy Ensign who always goes over and beyond in her service. We had a great time and will continue to stay at the Irish Cottage in years to come.

Room Tip: Can't really say as we've had several different rooms/suites and have been happy with all of...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dorothy m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Oak Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were given a room on the first floor but opted for a higher floor. It was a small suite which was lovely. The first night we ate at the Irish restaurant and bar in the hotel. The food was good and the Irish dancers were excellent and the singer was enjoyable. The breakfast on Saturday morning was excellent with scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes and a blueberry crepe. In addition the scones were delicious but I did miss the clotted cream. Sunday breakfast was a letdown after Saturdays - it consisted of an egg and sausage quiche and a piece of fried French toast. I filled up on more scones. I would highly recommend this place if you are visiting Galena which we enjoyed.

Oak Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before. I gave it a great review. It is still a very nice place BUT after making reservations online over three months in advance, I was not given the room that was assigned to me on my reservation confirmation. (We wanted a suite on the first floor, because they have small patios. The upper rooms have no balconies.) Upon arrival, we were informed that our room was on the 4th floor. The same suite, just no balcony. The room we were originally assigned on the 1st floor was already occupied. My advice is to call this hotel to confirm your reservation AND your room number if you are expecting a suite with a patio.

Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Awesome scones for breakfast and nice free all you can eat breakfast on Saturdays. Small gift shop. When I called down to the front desk there were very quick. Pool and hot tub very small but clean. Trail in back of hotel not kept very well don't go to far you will run into a lot of thorn bushes. Restaurant in hotel was very good as well. I requested prior to checking in a main level room for my grandparents as I took them there for a short getaway and they would not give me a handicapped accessible room nor accommodate me in anyway after I was told I would get that sort of room when I made reservations. Beds not very comfortable but had nice pillows. Room was clean and very basic, little small imo. Did not enjoy galena to much as it is mainly museums and history, shopping was okay mostly antiques, dips, popcorn and resturantes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nwaters006
Waukon, Iowa
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night. The rooms each had an irish name and had decorating that reflected Ireland. Fantastic lounge-big comfy chairs- great for relaxing, reading, visiting. Nice simple breakfast in a basket. Neat little Irish restaurant/ bar on site. Gift shop.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank RLG8960
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My best friend and I went to Galena for a girl's weekend and chose the Irish Cottage. It was absolutely perfect. Our first night we were tired from the drive so we ate at Frank O'Dowd's and had a few delicious martinis. Saturday morning we were pleasantly surprised at the hot breakfast. It was amazing. Scrambled eggs, sausage and a blueberry cream cheese crepe. We skipped the scones but that was a huge mistake (more to come on the scones). Saturday afternoon/early evening, we had a few pumpkin martinis at the bar and they were the most amazing martinis we have ever had! Wow. I could have had 10 more. Sunday morning we came back for breakfast and noticed that fresh scones were coming out of the kitchen. We tried them and we could not believe how good they were and we regretted skipping them the day before. Our breakfast was a biscuit stuffed with egg and sausage and cinnamon french toast. Amazing again.

Our room was clean, spacious and perfect for the two of us. The staff was extremely friendly and made us feel more than welcome. We walked into town and back twice while we were there. It wasn't too bad of a walk, although the walk up the hill was a bit of a workout. We opted for the road next to the cemetery rather than Rt. 20 because there was less traffic.

We highly recommend Amelia's Wine Tours. SOOO much fun and so nice that they pick you up from your hotel, serve you lunch and take you to three wineries. Well worth the price and our guide/driver was very nice and courteous.

Overall, everything was perfect about our weekend. We would absolutely come back and stay at the Irish Cottage!

Room Tip: We had a room on the main floor and we could always smell the fresh coffee and scones in the morning...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank chgoshell
East Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 13 October 2013

A nice place for something a little better than your average hotel stay. We were in Galena to celebrate our 14th anniversary. Complimentary breakfast was great. Fresh baked schones are incredible. Dinner in the pub was very good too.

Slept great.We wish we could take the bed home with us. very comfy.