“PAY NO ATTENTION TO ANY NEGATIVE REVIEWS FOR THIS B & B”
Review of Victorian Mansion

Victorian Mansion
Ranked #23 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I spent this weekend at The Victorian Mansion with my 2 sisters. FOLKS......THIS PLACE IS WONDERFUL! Charlie and Rita are just super people & provided an awesome experience for my sisters and I. The Mansion is beautiful - the grounds are breathtaking. Charlie and Rita made our stay so enjoyable. I can't say enough good things about the breakfast - definitely Gourmet!!!!!!!!

If you love B & Bs - be sure to make a date with this lovely lady - The Victorian Mansion in Galena, Illinois - you won't regret it!

We will be back :)
Barb A.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barb A

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We had such high hopes but unfortunately I have nothing good to say about my experience! Charlie and Rita were very unprofessional, they went out of their way to be rude and make us feel unwelcome. They had way too many rules for us to feel relaxed even in our suite. I have never had a worse experience. After a sleepiness night, due to the things Charlie and Rita said to us, we left to find more accommodating and friendly staff.

• Stayed: April 2014
9  Thank akb555
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We chose our room online because of the elegant furniture seen in the picture. The furniture was not the same as in the picture and disappointing. I didn't appreciate that we had to be downstairs at exactly 8:30 and how were we suppose to do that without an alarm clock in the room? I understand the rules concerning certain beverages in the room, but still inconvenient to have to leave your room to drink the beverage. Rita and Charlie were pleasant. I didn't appreciate Charlie bringing the dog out into the dining room after we finished breakfast. I will say he did ask all of us at the table if it was ok and everybody just kind of nodded, but this was a big dog! Even though the Inn is right in town, so to speak, you have to go down lots of stairs to get there. We loved the town, but the mansion just wasn't for us. I gave cleanliness an average because I was surprised to see cobwebs on light fixture on ceiling. Bathroom was very clean though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank willpack2
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Thank you for accommodating our family in such a lovely fashion. The kids had a lovely time and were made to feel very welcome, and the rooms were simply lovely. You couldn't beat the breakfast either. This is a perfectly appointed, beautifully furnished Victorian mansion with all the modern conveniences, as long as you understand the rooms are period rooms. You have wifi, TV, games--in short, everything you need. We will be back.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different. We used two connected rooms which shared a bathroom, which may not be a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here for a weekend trip with my wife and my mother. It was almost last minute but i did get on trip advisor to see what was the best b&b in they near vicinity. When looking on expedia I found that most national hotels are up the hill away from the actual Main Street part of the town. The hotel on the main street is the desoto house. But when looking online it was around $260. So my wife and I decided to try a b&b and found a hand full that it were near. We also decided to take my mother since she likes b&b and it was going to be our treat to her. The felt manor, the Hellman, the briar wreath, and others are up a hill. My mother could not walk up this hill as it's about 200 steps from the Main Street. Some b&bs were located outside the flood gate of town (south side by hwy 20). Those did not have the hill to contend with. We later found out that people walking into the desoto we're getting cheaper rates.

Ok about the hotel...Upon checking in we were greeted with by Rita who was there at late time of day since we drove 4 hours after getting off work on Friday. There were no parking spots available but we're told 4 girls for. Milwaukee each drive their own cars. What??? Girls weekend should be at a hotel not at a b&b. None if us could leave early from work so we could only get there by 8pm. My wife actually made the reservation and worked with Rita immediately to get payment before showing us to our room. She showed us briefly the house and mentioned quite a few rules...can't play billiards after 9pm, couldn't take red or colored liquid upstairs to our room. Had to be down at 830. But in their defense, it was a nice interior and I could see such rules for being in place to keep the historic hotel in great shape.

The room was on the 3rd floor and appeared to be nice. We did get the room. I think the franklin that had an extra bed. Breakfast was nice and we're asked to stay for their 10 information in the dining room about the b&b. there was another sitting after our 830 so we went back to our room (which I thought was valuable shopping time for my wife). But Rita and Charlie did do a good job on the history of galena and about the mansion. Probably stay if you like history. Prob not if you need to shop. We also later in the day used the jacuzzi even my mother. It was great. We brought our wine and other adult drinks and had a memorable time. I think they told us that it's open 24 hours. Breakfast consisted of a fruit dish both mornings and then a an egg dish sat morning and stuffed French toast on Sunday. The history discussion on sat is not available on Sunday.

Now about the previous post. Probably something I can speak to since I heard first hand what happened. About those girls who took up all the parking spots. I guess when the girls came down for breakfast (which Rita and Charlie were nice enough to give them the later breakfast sitting) one of the. Brought a baby???? Come on people. 99.97 percent of all b&b do not accept babies since they can disrupt the stay of other guest. From what I heard that one of the girls tried sneaking the bBy into the b&b so they would get caught. Really? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What really caught me off guard was that at least one of the other three girls didn't have to know how to simply say say to the other friend that maybe we should stay at a hotel where they are more kid friendly. In fact. Just as most foolish people usually end up where they should have been in the first place. Down the road in a hotel (like their review said). I goto galena once a year and stay in different places. For me and my wife AND especially my mother, we will be back. This is a special galena mansion and I think everyone needs to stay here at least a couple of times. Plus. Use the jacuzzi. It will help with all the shopping tiredness.

Eat at log cabin, vinnys, or at fried tomatoes, 111, or perry street. And stop by the popcorn store and sauce store next door.

Kyle

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KyleTravelsFar
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend anyone stay here. The inn keepers are rude and unprofessional. When an unpredictable situation arose they were unable to handle the situation. My friends and I were treated so rudely by Rita and Charlie that we ended leaving early and staying at a hotel down the street. Rita and Charlie need to take a class in manners. They acted worse then children. Save yourself a headache and money don't deal with Rita or Charlie!

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Dullkl
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I have been going to Galena every year for the past seven years. Most of our stays have been at the lovely Victorian Mansion. The times that we stayed elsewhere, we were disappointed. Rita and Charlie are awesome hosts and go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. It is the house and the hosts that keep us coming back to Galena probably even more than town itself. Breakfast is always fabulous, too!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple