“Friendlest Place Ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Belvidere, Illinois, United States
“Friendlest Place Ever”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have stayed several times at Claron Mansion. We just recently had our 30th anniversary and redid our vows. We chose to do it at Claron Mansion and dress the era of the house. They helped us and did the pictures. They made our friends and Family feel like they were at home. I can not put into words how Carmen & Cheryl made us feel. It was just so fantastic. We plan on returning several more times in the future. It is the friendliest place we have stayed at in a long time. They give you ideas on things to do and places to go. They let you know all the different activities going on and all the different places to eat. I highly recommend if you are looking for a place to go and enjoy yourself and a romantic time, this is the place to go.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nina W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I (and our Golden Retriever, Dylan) recently stayed at Cloran Mansion for a mid-week getaway for my birthday. We stayed in Antiono's Cottage and it was delightful! Pretty, private and cozy with a two-person hot tub, flat screen TV, kitchen area - just perfect! They had a birthday cake waiting for me upon our arrival! The breakfasts were incredible! Carmine & Cheryl really make a breakfast that is not only delicious but stays with you all day! We didn't eat until dinner. When we returned from dinner each night, we joined other guests around the firepit and had a terrific time. Carmine had great and honest restaurant reviews as well. We will be back :)

Room Tip: If you have a well-behaved pup, you'll stay in Antiono's Cottage (I believe this is where fa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boo526
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I went to Galena on our honeymoon--we had never been to Galena nor had we ever stayed in a B&B before, and I'm afraid the Cloran Mansion may have spoiled all other B&Bs for us!

Cheryl and Carmine were great hosts and amazing cooks. The breakfasts are among some of the best I've ever had and are so big that you can easily go without eating lunch. They also serve breakfast from 9-10:30 a.m.--so you don't need to hurry to eat and get out the door.

The grounds are exquisite and the landscaping is gorgeous. The gazebo is adorable, and every morning Carmine gets the firepit ready so all you have to do is light the newspaper if night if you'd like to sit by the fire.

We stayed in the Tower Suite which was perfect. An extremely comfortable king bed and a whirlpool upstairs--I cannot say enough good things about this place.

Know that it is about a mile from the Main Street area, but we preferred that. It's tucked away off of Hwy 20 so you don't have to worry about noise like you would have at some of the other B&Bs. We never had an issue finding a parking spot around Main Street, so being a mile or so away was a non-issue.

Room Tip: The property has five rooms inside the mansion and a cottage outside. Sara's Suite is downstairs...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StephMarieM
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I love to come to Galena for it's charm, the Main Street, the quirky shops, the area, but one can experience all of these things in one day; there aren't a lot of "must-dos" in Galena. But if you want time to relax, to get reacquainted with your loved one, to meet people at breakfast, to sit in a whirlpool, to enjoy some privacy, then the Cloran Mansion is enough reason to come to Galena. We also enjoy the area for bike riding. Carmine and Sheryl are great hosts and they make sure your needs are taken care of. We stayed in Ann's room this time (we stayed in Sara's Suite before. We liked Ann's room since it was more private than Sara's Suite (Sara's Suite is larger, but the room is right next to the front door and across from breakfast), we enjoyed the mansion much more due to this room. The bathroom and the whirlpool are the highlights of this room. We will come back, and we may request Ann's room again

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hastymaestro
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was our second stay at Cloran Mansion and we stayed 3 nights. We stayed in Ann's room this time. It was a nice room, but the bathroom was the star of the show. It is set off from what looks like an old converted porch. But don't let that fool you. The bathroom is HUGE with beautiful sunlight streaking through the windows. The windows are very tastefully decorated with shades so that there is ample privacy. There is a window that is in the bathroom door, however, so if you don't like that, then this room is not for you. The whirlpool bathtub is fantastic! Huge and big enough for 2 people. The breakfasts were huge, as usual, as was the conversation around the table. If you leave the table hungry, it is your own fault.

Sheryl even had a special fruit dish set aside just for me because I had told Carmine the day before that I don't like strawberries. She had a big dish of strawberries and bananas in a delicious yogurt sauce for everyone else, but for me, she served only the bananas in the same sauce. I thought that was very nice of her. Carmine offers eggs to everyone, along with whatever Sheryl is fixing for that day. Each day consisted of orange and grape juices, water, coffee (decaf or fully-leaded), some kind of potatoes, some kind of sweet dish, such as pancakes, and some sort of meat (sausage, bacon, or ham). That is on top of the fruit and eggs! I have never had a bigger or more satisfying breakfast at any other B & B.

I found the bed to be comfortable and so did my husband, who has back problems. The only mild beef I had this time around consisted of temperature of the room. There is no way to regulate the temperature in the rooms individually, and it got quite warm in there sometimes. But there was a fan in the closet that we were allowed to use (but didn't), as well as an overhead fan right above the bed. The overhead was enough to keep us from being too warm.

I would stay there again, but this time I would only make it two days, instead of three. The reason has nothing to do with Cloran Mansion, Carmine, or Sheryl. It has to do with Galena. If you are not a shopper, then Galena really isn't for you. My husband and I found very little to do while staying. In fact, we got so bored, we stayed in the room one whole day and just vegged in the hot tub. We found one thing to do near Dubuque, IA, a cave tour, which was nice. But overall, after a day of shopping, we found nothing else to do that wasn't expensive (we were trying to cut costs where we could). So, we will be back, but, unless Galena comes up with more interesting things to do besides shop or see Grant's house, then we will only stay 2 days.

IL
Reviewed 26 July 2013

If you want to unwind in beauty and quiet, this is the place to go. It is a short one mile drive from here to downtown and is easily accessed from I20. The immaculate grounds beg you to come outside and sit awhile, either in the gazebo, or by the fire pit. Carmen and Cheryl have gone to great lengths to make sure that anything you could think to want is readily available. Breakfast was wonderful! Stuffed pancakes one day and a great french toast the other. Yum! We stayed in Ann's Room. The bed is very comfortable! The whirlpool tub is getting a little tired, but that is a minor knock. We would stay here again in a minute and recommend you go there, too. Thanks for a great visit, guys!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
cloran, Owner at Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Your input is always appreciated. The tub in Ann's Room does need addressing and has already been scheduled for re-finishing. The Mansion is an older house, but a great house but as all older homes everything needs to be addressed from time to time. Thank you again and hopefully we will see you in the future. Have a wonderful Summer.

Carmine and Cheryl
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed in Antonio's Cottage for a weekend. It was such a quaint, cozy cottage and very relaxing. Cheryl and Carmine had me sold on the place from the get-go because they had the fridge stocked with Pepsi products and had a huge bowl of M&M's when you walked in! But besides having my favorite products, the bed and breakfast was fabulous. There isn't a kitchen in the cottage just a small fridge and sink but it was great. There is also a really nice hottub next to a fireplace but the fireplace was turned off and we didn't sit in the jacuzzi since it was mid July and very hot out. If I went back though I would want to make sure the fireplace was turned on because it would be very relaxing to sit in the hot tub next to it. Cheryl and Carmine were very nice and cooked AH-MAZING breakfasts!!! Seriously the french toast was one of the best french toasts I've ever had. They also made you feel right at home and made it such a comfortable stay. Seriously my husband and I haven't felt that relaxed in what feels like months. We had a fire each night at their fire pit too. All I can say is it felt like being at home, except we were able to relax because being at home you always find things to do like laundry, clean, etc. and out there all you could do was relax. It was perfect. We will be going back!

Room Tip: Antonio's Cottage allows pets so that is why we chose that room so we could bring our dog. It w...
1 Thank beck1721