“Great Romantic Weekend Getaway”

Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We got engaged at the Cloran, and Cheryl and Carmine made sure all of the details were taken care of, and that we had privacy for our dinner. Overall, excellent service. They really make you feel at home.

Our room, John's Room, was clean, and well decorated. The bathroom had a nice sized whirlpool, which we took advantage of.

The mansion also offers massages by appointment in a finished room in the basement, and includes a sauna.

Another of my favoriate things was the breakfast. Carmine and Cherlyl put on quite a feast to start your day.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank badger828

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Nicely appointed. Comfortable and welcoming B and B.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolmadisonl
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I originally made a reservation for Easter weekend back in January. After discussing it with my fiance we canceled the reservation 4 or 5 days later. We did this because we wanted to go there for our honeymoon in late September instead of going in April. I received a call from the manager Easter Saturday asking when he could expect us. I told him there must have been a mistake, I canceled the reservation a couple days after I originally made the reservation. That I had spoken to a woman and she said I was good to go. How did he check into this? He asked his wife who was right in earshot, "Hey, did they cancel the reservation?" Her reply was "no". Now at this point I'm not angry. There's obviously just a misunderstanding, human error. She might have gotten busy immediately after I talked to her, she might have misunderstood what I was saying, any number of things. What did make me angry was how aggressive this guy was on the phone. From that point on he said everything short of blatantly calling me a liar and that he was going to charge me the cost of renting the room for the weekend. I wasn't going to argue it with him any more. I told him what happened and if he wasn't going to believe me there was nothing I could really do. I told him that he should do what he has to do but I would be incredibly disappointed with them if he was to charge me. He went in to the "well were a small business and can't afford it" and hung up after a curt goodbye. I'm not going to go into the "I've never been treated that way in my life, lets face it we all have at one point or another. But seriously, what a horrible business man. It's bad enough to treat your customers like a thief but compound that with the fact that I was referred there by my brother. I was planning on going there for my honeymoon. That's repeat business. I'd be going there at least every other honeymoon. Now I will never go there, my brother and his girlfriend will never go there again, and I will be smearing them at every chance I get until I've earned back in spite the money they are charging me for a mistake they made. Thanks for reading

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clintv42
cloran, Owner at Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2009

This guest claims that he cancelled his reservation in ample time. If that were the case there would be no problem or hard feelings. In fact for Easter Weekend we could have reserved the room several times over as it is one of our most popular whirlpool/fireplace rooms.
When we get a cancellation it is immediately documented and responded to and the room is put back on the market. This was not the case. I honestly believe the guest intended to cancel but never followed thru. I found out about the cancellation the night before only because I called for a check in time. If he cancelled he would have recieved an e-mail cancellation notice. We had none in our records, nor did he.
It is a shame that this had to happen as now there are hard feelings, but as a small business we had no choice but to charge him if we could not re-book the room, and on such short notice this was not possible.
We do not like to upset any guest, but we cannot afford to be taken advantage of either.

Reviewed 31 March 2009

We have stayed in a different Bed & Breakfast every year for our anniversary for about the past 12 years. This was one of the tops. We stayed in Antonio's cottage and it was roomy, comfortable, clean and everything we expected and more. The food was exceptional. It was a wonderful 27th anniversary and I have already recommended Cloran Mansion to friends.

1  Thank bakn4u
Reviewed 29 March 2009

A great getaway, close to Chicago but worlds away. The Innkeepers, Carm and Cheryl, have the expertise to know when to engage people and when to let them have privacy. The facilities are well kept, the breakfast is exceptional, their services and words invaluable as we trekked around the area.

Wonderful!

1  Thank BillieLarkin
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Our hosts, Carmine and Cheryl, provided impeccable service and just the right touch for a one-night romantic get-away. We stayed in the "Alice" room upstairs, which was a comfortable room with a small fireplace, private bath, and even a flat screen TV with DVD. The "library" across the hall offered us great coffee at any time, a cookie jar, a huge DVD selection, as well as CDs to listen to in the room. Even though we enjoyed the downtown Galena area, it was nice having a lot to do back at the house, too. The finishing touch was the outstanding breakfast--made to order eggs and hashbrowns, fresh fruit, feather-light pancakes with powdered sugar and cherries, and more coffee. We enjoyed good conversation with the other guests and Carmine, and the warm towel provided by their granddaughter after the meal. All in all, a great romantic experience. We'll be back!

2  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This is a very clean and cozy bed and breakfast. I suggest, if you have the opportunity to stay in the tower room. We loved it, and we really enjoyed the romantic whirlpool loft. The breakfast was delicious and kept me stuffed all day.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple