“My favorite place in galena!!”
Review of La Familia Cafe and Cakery - CLOSED

La Familia Cafe and Cakery
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Authentic!! Real flavors that don't come from a can the mole is soooo good!! The tacos are delicious u suggest the carne Asada or the el pastor either way you can't go wrong. Every Thursday is a special usually not on the menu dinner for with dessert for a very affordable price! So do yourself a favor skip Los Aztecs and come here for amazing food, service, & price!!

There are newer reviews for La Familia Cafe and Cakery

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'm not usually much of a fan of mexican food, but my wife is, so I am often willing to bite the bullet and try it.

This place is tucked away on a side street off of the main downtown area. If you didn't know it was there, you would likely miss it. It's small, with only about eight or ten tables. They do not offer alcohol, but they will allow you to bring your own into the restaurant. We grabbed a couple of bottles of beer at a nearby bar, and brought them with.

Our server was a very nice young man who appeared to be about 15 or 16 years old. He seemed a bit shy, but did a wonderful job taking care of us. We ordered nachos for an appetizer. He came back to the table about a minute later and apologized, saying that they were out of the chips, and would it be OK if we had to wait a bit while they made some fresh. We were OK with that. About five minutes later, he brought the nachos to our table. They were awesome. Certainly not what you would get at your local sports bar. The fresh chips were still hot from just being made. All of the toppings were very fresh and flavorful. The nachos came with only meat, cheese, onions, and peppers. We added on a side of guacamole and sour cream, which was a nice addition. The salsa provided had great flavor, and just the right amount of bite.

For our main dish, we shared a "Super Burrito" that was filled with chicken, beans, rice, cheese, onion, and peppers. We ordered a side of rice to go along with it. Everything, again, was great.

My biggest compliment would be that the food wasn't over-spiced and loaded with salt. I think part of the reason I don't like mexican food more is that most places think that making good mexican food involves loading everything up with way too much onion, garlic, and salt. That wasn't the case here. That isn't to say things weren't seasoned by any means. They were just right.

I would certainly recommend La Familia to anyone looking for good mexican food while in Galena.

2  Thank Jeff0155
Reviewed 23 June 2014

had lunch here. empanadas which were very tasty and crispy. my wife had a quesadilla which was more like a full meal. family spot very nice indeed

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The food was wonderful and the service was charming. An authentic family run restaurant just off of Main street in historic Galena, IL. Started with the classic chips and salsa which were fresh and tasty.We ordered the specials for the night; Shrimp Diablo and Chicken Mole and were pleased with the rich, authentic flavors. The meal even included dessert of a brownie with ice cream. The prices are very reasonable. They do not serve alcohol, but you are allowed to bring your own, which we did. A fun evening with friends and a great meal.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had dinner at La Familia on May 29th. The service was great. We weren't real hungry, so my wife and I split an appetizer (empanadas) and an entree (Pollo ala Crema). The empanadas were light and flaky. The Pollo ala Crema was served with rice and beans. It was very tasty. Since my wife does not care for very hot foods, I ordered it mild. I think I would have preferred it spicy. Best of all was the flourless chocolate cake. My wife was bold enough to ask for the recipe, and the owner said he would email it to us - it came today. Can't wait to try it at home to see if its as good.

This restaurant is about a 1/2 block off main street, up a short hill.
They do not serve alcohol, but you are welcome to bring your own.