“Great House, Great Service, Average Room”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Abbey's High Street Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great House, Great Service, Average Room”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I really enjoyed my 2 nights here. I love the location. It's walking distance to Main St, which was a requirement for me. Just keep in mind, the walk back up the steep hill (staircases) can be tiresome after a long day of shopping, tours, etc.

I will admit that upon entering my room (Elizabeth Room), I was disappointed. The room décor was a little less than I expected and a little worn in some areas. It was also the first room at the top of the steps. There was a reason this room was one of the only two available when I booked. However, the room was clean and quite. Please don't mistake "a little worn" for something crappy. Unfortunately, my primary complaint about the room was the bed. I think the mattress needs replacing. I know some mattresses are made to be soft, but this was very soft and sagged in the middle. When laying with a significant other, you literally both sink towards the middle. That may sound like good cuddle time, but it got old when really trying to sleep and I felt it in my back after the second night.

With that said, the B&B overall was great! The house was very nice and comfortable. I like all the antiques and interesting things to look at. The yard was beautiful, even in November, and I would love to visit this place in early summer.

The hosts were awesome! I immediately felt comfortable and was treating like a friend coming to visit. I've been to B&Bs where people were nice, but it felt forced. Tom and Kathy seemed to genuinely be themselves and creates an atmosphere where you kind of feel bad about leaving... just as you would after visiting friends or family. And Kathy's food...... 2 thumbs up! :-)

I will definitely stay again... although I would try a larger/different room.

Room Tip: I think the room in which I stayed was the most modest and had a more bland décor. It was not a bad...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Abbey's High Street B&B has great character, charming décor, great rooms, great location and great breakfasts. But the best feature associated with this inn is Tom and Kathleen. They welcome you into your home. They have great conversation at breakfast. They foster conversation among the guests and make you feel like a part of the family.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We will definitely return. They have done a wonderful job restoring this house and gardens. The couple was lovely and went to extra lengths to help us with our bikes. The town made for a nice weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed 26 October 2013

From Kathleen's & Tom's warm, gracious, and informative greeting when we first arrived until their warm, gracious, and appreciative farewell when we (begrudgingly) left, our stay at Abbey's High Street was a great experience. Kathleen & Tom are wonderful hosts and their hard work and delicate attention to detail are evident throughout every inch, inside and out, of their beautiful B&B. The decor, amenities, and breakfast fare at Abbey's High Street is just the right mix of upscale and casual to put you in a perfect equilibrium between "first class" and "down home". And Kathleen & Tom are SO friendly and attentive you definitely feel right "at home" the entire time. We will treasure the experience, stories, and laughter for forever! Thank you Kathleen & Tom... we miss you already! Judy & Tom (10/18-19)

1 Thank Tom H
Belle Plaine, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My Husband and I have stayed at the Abbey for the last five years for my "Birthday outing", I can honestly say I would not want to stay anywhere else.

The house is so beautifully decorated, the host(Kathleen and Tom)are so gracious, and the breakfast are spectacular.

Very relaxing and romantic, hoping I can stay there another 20 Birthdays!!

Thanks for everything~Carla Boies

Room Tip: Grants room is our favorite.
Mokena, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My first time visit to Galena, for a small family wedding. I researched on the internet for an appropriate B&B. when I read about Abbey's High Street Bed and Breakfast, I just knew that was the spot.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by Kathleen. She is a sweet and wonderful hostess. Making us feel at home and welcomed. Kathleen has a fun and warm personality. It is apparent that she loves the path she has chosen, to serve and open her home to others.
The home itself is a cherished beauty. Decorated to perfection for the era of long ago. The home has historic value, once owned by General Grants physician. It sets on a high peak, with a clear view to Grants home from the gardens gazebo. Kathleen's garden is breath taking!
The plated breakfast that is served, is appealing to the eye and delicious! Kathleen and her husband Tom are perfect hosts. Their visit with the guests during Sunday morning breakfast was sincere and charming.
It was a pleasure and a privilege to stay at the Abbey.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Fort Madison, Iowa
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were very pleased with our visit to Abbeys High Street B&B! Tom and Kathleen made us feel very welcome. (As did Queenie and Lady also). They told us the history of the house and it is quite obvious they love the home and have done a wonderful job restoring it back to a beautiful Victorian home. We enjoyed visiting with them and exploring Galena. If you get the chance to go to Galena, be sure to stay at Abbeys High Street B&B.