“Beautiful and Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Abbey's High Street Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Mars, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful and Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I wanted to find a very elegant Bed and Breakfast retreat for my mother as a Mothers Day gift. I looked at all of them in the area and decided to try Abbey's. We were not disappointed and loved our stay! The hosts were wonderful, the food was delicious, the rooms were very nicely decorated and the English gardens are breath taking. I will definitely come back and will highly recommend Abbey's to my friends!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Excellent location, lovely home, good breakfasts, gazebo in yard for afternoon relaxing, and a great host all made for a wonderful visit. Galena has very nice shops and restarants but we really enjoyed the quiet restful room.
Brian and Dorothy McClure, Fargo, ND

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

In planning a weekend getaway to relax and recharge, we were a bit hesitant to book our first bed and breakfast experience. However, in the first 5 minutes of arriving to the Abbey, we knew we had made the right choice. We had such a warm welcome upon our arrival and the beautiful gardens and historical home put us to ease immediately. Our accommodations exceeded our expectation, allowing for ample room, comfort and privacy for the weekend. We made time to relax in the garden and enjoyed the close proximity to main street for shopping and entertainment. I must make special mention to the amazing breakfasts. They are not to be missed. It was just so obvious to us that Tom and Kathy love what they do, because they do it so well.

We would highly recommend Abbey's High Street Bed & Breakfast and look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tiskilwa, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My Husband and I go to Galena frequently and have stayed at many of the B&B's there. We not only expect and desire the historic "Galena experience" in the architecture, but also enjoy the nicer rooms with the Jacuzzi tubs. Both my husband and I work very hard and enjoy a nice weekend away, especially when celebrating something special like my husband's birthday. Being the early part of March, it is not exactly the busy season in Galena, but we enjoy it just the same. We were the only guests in the house for the weekend which made it even that more relaxing as if the house were "all ours".
We stayed in the Grant suite which overlooked the town of Galena. The room was a little smaller than what we are used to when visiting, but both Kathy and Tom more than made up for it with their kindness and willingness to share their home. The house is a beautiful example of early to mid 1800's architecture and Kathy was happy to share the history of the former owner, Dr Kittoe, who was friends with U.S. grant. She has decorated the home with lovely antiques and some personal items as well. The furnishings are comfortable and the beautiful wood floors "lightly squeaky" as old homes should be.
Our quiet, relaxing weekend was unfortunately hampered by injury when I slipped on the ice at a local restaurant and I fractured my elbow. We stayed the weekend, and Kathy was absolutely AWESOME when she presented me with a "get well cookie" first thing Saturday morning. Both Kathy and Tom were genuinely concerned about my comfort and well being.
The breakfast was simple and delicious. We got our bellies full. (No "frou, frou" type breakfast where it is all pretty, and no taste.) We have stayed at B & B's in the past where you left the table still hungry. We especially enjoyed the lengthy morning conversations since I was moving MUCH slower than my usual "high speed, low drag" self.
As I mentioned above, the room was smaller than what we are used to, BUT the bed was extremely comfortable (Being a Queen size) and the Jacuzzi was a bonus. (Which overlooks the town). There was a gas fireplace which warmed the room quickly and made it cozy. There is not a TV in the room, but when you are away for a quiet weekend, who needs it? There is a large screen TV downstairs in the common tv room area if you want it.
I would highly recommend this B&B for many reasons. The location, the hosts, the beautiful home, the room, etc.
I will plan on returning, especially when the gardens are in full bloom.
This is a B&B that I would recommend not only for couples, but for a "girl's weekend" as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at nearly all the B&B's over the past years BUT nothing beats the charm, great rooms, food, serenity and service that we received at Abbeys. If you have never stayed here you are missing what real friendship and Galena is all about. A short 4-5 minute walk to downtown stores & shops. Thank you Tom & Kathleen for your hospitality we will be back.

Room Tip: Their all Great... you can not go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Byron, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Tom was one of the greatest hosts my wife and I have ever met. Unfortunately Kathy was under the weather and we did not meet her. The food was great. The room was wonderful. The house is filled with antiques and interesting items. it is an easy walk to downtown galena with spectacular views of the town.We will make it our go to place in Galena.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I really enjoyed my 2 nights here. I love the location. It's walking distance to Main St, which was a requirement for me. Just keep in mind, the walk back up the steep hill (staircases) can be tiresome after a long day of shopping, tours, etc.

I will admit that upon entering my room (Elizabeth Room), I was disappointed. The room décor was a little less than I expected and a little worn in some areas. It was also the first room at the top of the steps. There was a reason this room was one of the only two available when I booked. However, the room was clean and quite. Please don't mistake "a little worn" for something crappy. Unfortunately, my primary complaint about the room was the bed. I think the mattress needs replacing. I know some mattresses are made to be soft, but this was very soft and sagged in the middle. When laying with a significant other, you literally both sink towards the middle. That may sound like good cuddle time, but it got old when really trying to sleep and I felt it in my back after the second night.

With that said, the B&B overall was great! The house was very nice and comfortable. I like all the antiques and interesting things to look at. The yard was beautiful, even in November, and I would love to visit this place in early summer.

The hosts were awesome! I immediately felt comfortable and was treating like a friend coming to visit. I've been to B&Bs where people were nice, but it felt forced. Tom and Kathy seemed to genuinely be themselves and creates an atmosphere where you kind of feel bad about leaving... just as you would after visiting friends or family. And Kathy's food...... 2 thumbs up! :-)

I will definitely stay again... although I would try a larger/different room.

Room Tip: I think the room in which I stayed was the most modest and had a more bland décor. It was not a bad...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple