“Disappointed”

Cuisines: French, German
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I read good things about this restaurant on Tripadvisor, so opted to eat here our first evening in town. The waitress recommended the salmon and the sausage platter, so that is what we ordered. The salmon was dry and fishy tasting. I couldn't eat it. My husbands sausage platter, however, was delicious and plentiful so he shared it with me. The establishment DID take the salmon dinner off our bill so that helped. It's just very disappointing to get a meal like that in such an upscale restaurant.
The server was not very attentive, so I would say the service was just average.
I would not recommend this restaurant. There are too many other good restaurants in town.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Mother's Day was extra special this year thanks to Fred at Fritz & Frites who is the masterful chef and Nancy, our delightful server. Hubby was thrilled that his personal favorite roast beef sandwich was a special of the day and it was so good I had to tell him not to lick his plate. The sauce is rich and full of flavor. I had a special also, the schwein (that's pork) schnitzel and it trapsported me back to our days in Germany. Most the restaurants there serve more pork schnitzel than they do veal. It was topped with an authentically good jaeger sauce and served with red cabbage and homemade spaetzel. Fred makes the best red cabbage, perfect combination of sweetness with vinegar. Walk to the end of Main Street in Galena for a wonderful truly European meal.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I brought some friends to Fritz and Frites on Wed evening and was greeted very warmly by our server Lauren. Our meal was wonderful... we had weinerschnitzels and tilapia with ratatouille... for dessert we had german chocolate cake and apple strudel... Our service and our food were both amazing and we look forward to our next meal here!!

2  Thank lisajil
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find the German/French restaurant in Galena. All the food is freshly made. Best saurbraten and schnitzel we've ever had.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

A french vibe-more comfortable then actually being in Paris and food that is warm, filling and very tasty!

Been to Fritz and Frites? Share your experiences!