“We love this place”

Cuisines: French, German
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fritz and Frites is a quietly elegant little bistro. The food is always good -- fresh, well-prepared, and delicious -- the wine list is excellent, and the beer list keeps expanding. If you're looking for luxury, guys in tuxedoes, and a chance to pay too much for a good meal, go somewhere else. If you want good, well presented (but without the "flash") French and German cuisine at a good price, try F&F.

My wife and I visited last on May 22, 2014. It was a special day -- the anniversary of the day we met and, coincidentally, the anniversary of the day we moved into our current home. We were also celebrating a promotion at work. Wait staff were courteous, friendly, and attentive to our needs. We started with a split of champagne. My wife had the Poulet Roti -- roasted half chicken -- and I had one of the specials of the day, which was a delicious hanger steak, rare.

We enjoyed a bottle of French pinot noir (Les Fontenelles) with dinner, and shared a slice of flourless Black Forest cake for dessert (we rarely do dessert except for special occasions). Everything was delicious.

In the past, we have enjoyed a number of things on the F&F menu. I particularly like the sauerbraten.

This was probably our fifth or sixth meal at Fritz and Frites in the last five or six visits to Galena. It's become one of our staples. All due respect for the venerable Vinnie Vanucci's, but when we come to Galena for a single night, we're having dinner at Fritz and Frites.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in Galena for a wedding and decided to eat lunch here....Since we live in Chicago we did not expect much ... But to our delight this was one of the best meals bar none in any city or country....I had the quiche..my husband the brats and sister and niece had the salads...also an order of fries... wine and beer selection were to die for.
you must go here if nowhere else....

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It is a small intimate place to have dinner with friends and family. The food is German and French. The menu is selective but wonderful. I go there on special occasions.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

There were 5 of us so we divided our entrées between the French and the German choices, the food was very good and we recommend it.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I read good things about this restaurant on Tripadvisor, so opted to eat here our first evening in town. The waitress recommended the salmon and the sausage platter, so that is what we ordered. The salmon was dry and fishy tasting. I couldn't eat it. My husbands sausage platter, however, was delicious and plentiful so he shared it with me. The establishment DID take the salmon dinner off our bill so that helped. It's just very disappointing to get a meal like that in such an upscale restaurant.
The server was not very attentive, so I would say the service was just average.
I would not recommend this restaurant. There are too many other good restaurants in town.

Been to Fritz and Frites? Share your experiences!