“First time but won't be my last”
Review of Fritz and Frites

Fritz and Frites
Ranked #4 of 66 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: French, German
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We had great food and service! We ordered the salmon with lingonberries and the schweinschnitzel. Both were delicious. The waitress went above and beyond to make sure we were satisfied customers.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We met one of the Fritz and Frites wait staff early afternoon who told us briefly about the restaurant and I am so glad we decided to go there for dinner. It's located at the far end of Main Street. It is decorated in bistro style. We were greeted by our waitress/hostess. She provided excellent service and recommendations for wines and cocktails. They offer French and German fair. We enjoyed the Frisee salad and a bowl of mussels prepared in champagne and creme. Well prepared and delicious. The salad was fresh and lightly dressed. I've enjoyed mussels prepared in many ways, but these were the best ever. There was enough food for both of us to share and feel sated. We had dessert of the homemade German chocolate cake. I know I will definitely go back to Fritz and Frites the next visit to Galena. I would recommend this restaurant to those who choose to dine in Galena. Next visit will be for the German foods. :)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good fortune provides a number of excellent restaurants to choose from when in Galena; Fritz and Fritz is one of the best. We have dined there numerous times and have never been disappointed. It isn’t that large a restaurant and it is decorated in the French bistro style. Located at the far end of Main Street requires a little effort in finding the bistro but it is worth it.
We chose to go on a Sunday to avoid the large crowds visiting the area during Fridays and Saturdays. Although we had a reservation it was not needed on a Sunday; you never know.
Upon entering we were greeted by a friendly hostess who turned out to be our server. Throughout the evening in addition to a friendly approach she was very efficient and professional. Attentive but never “hovering” at the table.
We were given a variety of table options and were quickly escorted to the window table of our choice. Shortly we were provided information on the specials for the day and given time to review the menu. We first selected a bottle of wine which was quickly brought to the table, presented, and served. After a short time period our server returned to inquire if we had made our selections for dinner; we had.
For an appetizer we both selected escargot. They were very large and flavorful. They were prepared in garlic and butter but had a unique subtle sweet “under taste.” We inquired about this and our server went back to the kitchen to find the answer; a type of brandy was used. Interesting approach. Although very good they could have been hotter.
We differed on entrées; my spouse went with the Kassler Rippchon (smoked pork chop) and when I found out it was a Rib Eye steak I went with the Steak Frites entree. We each very much enjoyed our selections. They were prepared excellently and were tasty and flavorful. Serving sizes were immense; especially the amount of frites that I was given.
A surprise occurred at the conclusion of our meal. We were informed that there was a special currently of providing a complimentary desert when a bottle of wine was purchased. Normally we do not “do” desert but hey. Our selection was the flourless Black Forest Cake; wow was it rich and chocolaty. I am not a chocolate fan but I sampled more than I usually would.
We left contented and full knowing that WE WOULD BE BACK again and again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fritz and Frites provides a menu and nightly specials that offer the best of German and French fair. The menu leans a little more towards German than French. The schnitzels are huge and absolutely delicious. The onion soup has a unique taste and is loaded with two kinds of cheese. We also got a side of the German Potatoe salad which was the very best we ever tasted.

The service was excellent. Our server was professional, friendly and knew the menu and wines very well. He even gave us a travel tip on how to avoid Chicago traffic on our way home to Michigan.

We would absolutely recommend this resturant to traveler's visiting Galena.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fritz and Frites is a quietly elegant little bistro. The food is always good -- fresh, well-prepared, and delicious -- the wine list is excellent, and the beer list keeps expanding. If you're looking for luxury, guys in tuxedoes, and a chance to pay too much for a good meal, go somewhere else. If you want good, well presented (but without the "flash") French and German cuisine at a good price, try F&F.

My wife and I visited last on May 22, 2014. It was a special day -- the anniversary of the day we met and, coincidentally, the anniversary of the day we moved into our current home. We were also celebrating a promotion at work. Wait staff were courteous, friendly, and attentive to our needs. We started with a split of champagne. My wife had the Poulet Roti -- roasted half chicken -- and I had one of the specials of the day, which was a delicious hanger steak, rare.

We enjoyed a bottle of French pinot noir (Les Fontenelles) with dinner, and shared a slice of flourless Black Forest cake for dessert (we rarely do dessert except for special occasions). Everything was delicious.

In the past, we have enjoyed a number of things on the F&F menu. I particularly like the sauerbraten.

This was probably our fifth or sixth meal at Fritz and Frites in the last five or six visits to Galena. It's become one of our staples. All due respect for the venerable Vinnie Vanucci's, but when we come to Galena for a single night, we're having dinner at Fritz and Frites.

Been to Fritz and Frites? Share your experiences!