“Quaint but lacking”

Ranked #3 of 4 Dessert in Galena
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Quaint but lacking”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The shop is nice. It is a reformed hardware store with an old time ice cream shoppe feel. The ice cream was tasty but there were a few things lacking. First, my husband asked for one of there speciality dishes and was informed that they were out of one of the toppings so he could not get it(the barber pole). I asked about sampling the salted carmel, since sometimes it is too salty for my tastes, and was told they don't do samples. If you know what you want, and they have it, this is a good place. If not, well...

1 Thank Amanda P

Peoria, Illinois
“Bad service, but good ice cream.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We have visited this town several times as well as this ice cream parlor. This year the staff seems to be loaded with bottom feeders. Yesterday, the server was more concerned with talking to her friends than waiting on anyone. She stated that many flavors were out (which seems to always be the case). When I asked her how to know which flavors were which, she said they were in order on the board. Where I come from we read a list from the too to bottom and go from left to right. It didn't take my educated brain long to figure out that the ice cream list went from bottom up and from left to right...a little off, but ok. Also, keep in mind a 'single' order is actually two scoops which is different, but fine. My husband and 3 yr old wanted to split a single (two scoops), it was suggested that we put one scoop in each dish. Fantastic! We checked out. The next family came in and was immediately told that they were closing at 9 and she needed to get things done before that. The customer stated they would have their order in within 10 minutes. The mother of the family left mad and considered notifying the owner, but instead went back and talked to the young lady. We went back tonight and were told this time the single order (two scoops) could not be divided into two dishes (yesterday must have been a special occasion). I asked for sprinkles, for .50, it was seriously the smallest scoop of sprinkles I have ever seen. I am going to try it one more time tomorrow, bringing my own sprinkles from the bulk foods place down the block. I would just scrap the place altogether, but the tasty ice cream is the saving grace.

Bonfield, Illinois, United States
“Quaint and fun!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Neat building. Lots of interesting things to look at. Good selection of excellent quality ice cream. I would definitely go there again.

Visited June 2014
Iowa City, Iowa
“a neat place to eat”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Friendly servers, lots of choices, it was cute, and fun to eat here. Lots of different flavors of ice cream!

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
1,903 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,137 helpful votes
“Try the mint chocolate chip and coconut joy”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

One a hot day while you are walking along Main Street in Galena, Illinois, with hundreds of other tourists who are browsing and shopping at the many antique and jewelry and pottery and art stores, it is always refreshing to stop at an ice cream parlor. And Galena has an outstanding one in the American Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor. It reminds me of Hart Drugs, the old-time soda fountain that I favored while growing up in Blue Island. Built in 1846, the store retains its original cabinetry. It is everything you would expect in an old fashioned soda fountain...sundaes, sodas, malts, shakes, floats, waffle cones and banana splits. The 1927 fountain produces soda floats. There are 40 flavors of ice cream. Locals recommend the mint chocolate chip and the coconut joy. I never can pass up a chocolate soda with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. My wife prefers a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate sauce and nuts. There also is popcorn, candy, snacks and Coca-Cola merchandise. But ice cream is the big attraction, especially on a hot day when mom and dad are towing kids along. Name the flavor and they've got it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited May 2014