“Great location, great amenities, great value”
Review of 305 North Inn

305 North Inn
and 1 more site!
305 North Inn
Ranked #29 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicagoland
“Great location, great amenities, great value”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We picked 305 North for our anniversary trip to Galena for a variety of reasons: 1) located within walking distance of the many shops, bars and restaurants of Galena, 2) whirlpool hot tubs in every room, 3) didn't look like it was decorated by someone's Grandma and 4) priced within our budget. In addition, the rooms have (gas) fireplaces and flat screen TVs, free Wi-Fi and free parking, a a continental breakfast (coffee/tea/juice, homemade breakfast breads, fruit, oatmeal, granola bars). We would definitely stay here again, and would recommend this to friends.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank notmargaret

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We loved spending our honeymoon at 305 North B & B ( Carrie's Vintage Inn ) in Galena, Illinois. We have traveled all over the the world and the U. S. and have never been treated like royalty before like we were treated by our hostess and host at 305 North B & B, we felt like a king and queen! We loved our gorgeous suite with a heart-shaped jacuzzi, romantic fireplace, cool skylight where we saw the stars at night. We had a kitchenette to warm up snacks or store our dinners in. we loved our comfortable bed in our cozy bedroom, and our sofabed with a flat-screen tv and dvd player plus an awesome library with great reading books. We loved walking out our main door on famous and historic Main Street all the fantastic shopping and excellent restaurants and sightseeing at our doorstep. After our wedding ceremony at a nearby church and after our wedding dinner at a great nearby restaurant we went to our suite at 305 North B & B followed by our family and our friends and were surprised to see a wonderful array of goodies, personalized wedding cakes, cofee, bottle of wine and chilled champaign awaiting our arrival all prepared by our most generous and caring and kind hostess who also took pictures for us with us and our families.Our families and friends just loved 305 North B & B, loved our huge suite and the terrific service from our kind and caring hostess. That same evening, I had a jewelry allergy and thank goodness for our awesome hostess who is also a dermatologist and saved my night, like a guardian angel and helped my allergy by making it disappear with a medical ointment to help it go away immediately. We loved our delicious goodies we had for breakfast and services provided for us. We will go back to 305 North B & B and our family and our friends will stay there, too. 305 North is the very best from all the rest! #1 in our book !

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2011

305 North Bed & Breakfast is #1 in our book. It is the best from all the rest! We have traveled all over the world and U. S. and 305 North B & B will always be in our beautiful memories that only come one in a lifetime! We went to 305 North B &B to spend our honeymoon and we were treated like royalty from the beginning, during and ending. We loved our heart shaped jacuzzi, a skylite to look at stars at night, a romantic fireplace, a sofabed too to watch our flat screen tv, our own library with great books to read, a kitchenette for our convenience and our front door to historical Main Street for tons of shopping and walk to excellent restaurants. Our hostess was amazingly nice, kind, helpful, intelligent and smart. She was always available either in person or by phone to make our stay comfortable, enjoyable, and unbelievably romantic. .We got married in a church in Galena, Illinois a few blocks away and after our ceremony and dinner, our families and friends came to check out our suite and they loved it and are still ravng about it! We loved all the amenities our hostess provided us with. Our honeymoon turned out just perfect! Thank you very much from the bottom of our hearts, 305 North B&B in Galena, Illinois for making our Honeymoon filled with only beautiful memories and we will always stay with you in the future and recommend you to everyone we know and meet! 305 North B&B is # 1 !

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank honeyooners
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We were a group of two couples plus a baby. So we were looking for a suite that we all could share with ample room for hanging out once the baby was in bed. We booked "Suite 6" and were thrilled to find that it was an extremely large two bedroom suite. The two bedrooms themselves are not large, but not cramped. The very large bathroom is off the kitchen, so neither couple needed to walk through the other couple's bathroom to get there. In addition, there is a large, eat-in, and fully functional kitchen. There is a large formal dining room. And there is a family room with a fireplace (although I think it's more a space heater that looks like a fireplace, it is warm and great to have in the room). On top of all that space, we had a huge private deck in the back off of our suite with two additional sitting areas.

The suite was very clean. The bathroom had plenty of towels to accommodate our whole group. The furniture is all in very good condition, although the kitchen and dining room aren't modern. The beds were comfortable. Standard continental breakfast in the morning. The coffee was good. There is a large area in the reception for eating.

The location was also perfect. It's towards the far end of the Main Street strip of shopping and restaurants. So you don't need your car to get anywhere. There's parking in the back of the B&B.

Overall, we were very happy with our experience. We thought it was a great value for two couples. We will definitely be booking the exact same suite in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kgm721
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We have been to Galena several times and decided to stay somewhere closer to the main street for our anniversary. We chose 305N (or Carrie's Vintage Inn) because the pictures on their website looked really nice. However, we were extremely disappointed. First of all, when their website says check-in is 3pm, they REALLY mean 3pm. We got there early and there was NO ONE in sight and all the doors were locked. No big deal, we parked our car and walked around Galena for a bit and decided to call around noon to see if anyone could possibly let us in. The man who answered the phone said he wasn't at the hotel but he'd "check" to see if anyone would be there early and get back to us. He never did. So at 3 pm we checked in. That was probably one of only TWO times we saw any of the owners/keepers around. They had a note on the desk that if they weren't there to call a number to reach them. Really?? What hotel/inn does this? Where were they hiding the entire time??
The room itself was ok, there was a couch, a flat screen TV, a whirlpool tub, an electric fireplace (which was LOUD when you turned it on), and an armoire that encased a small mini-fridge that looked like it was from the 70's. The bedroom and bathroom were standard, nothing spectacular there. I could say the water pressure was good in the shower but that would be an understatement. It worked a little too well. It was like showering with shards of glass pelting your body. And if you wanted to watch TV, you could only do it from the living room where the couch barely fit two people. My husband and I are pretty short/small and it was uncomfortable for us, I can't imagine what it would be like if two other average size people tried sitting on it together for any period of time.
I know this all doesn't sound as bad as it seems, but it gets worse. The first day we were there, the room was freezing, still no big deal but then at night, holy cow was it HOT!!! There were vents in the room but you couldn't close them and there was no way to control the temperature so you had to boil. It was like this for the 2 1/2 days we were there. If you managed to fall asleep, then the other noises started. The walls were paper thin so you could hear every foot step, toilet flush, water running, etc. from the room next to us and even from upstairs. At one point during the night I heard our neighbor sneeze and it sounded like she was in the room with us. It kinda creeped me out. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep.
The other bothersome things were that there wasn't an iron/ironing board (or even A hanger) in the room. This is where the 2nd time comes in that was saw one of the owners. I just happened to catch him at the desk and asked for an iron and ironing board. He didn't seem to know where they were. When he eventually found them, he left them by our door. What we got was one very old table-top ironing board and iron. Um, where were we supposed to put it?? I made space on the small dresser in the bedroom and had to fight with it just to iron a t-shirt.
Aside from that, our room wasn't cleaned. All they did was take our old towels and replace them with new ones, and pulled the comforter up to make it look like they made the bed. They didn't even bother to empty the garbage cans or sweep the floor, etc. And when I got into the bed the second night, there was hair on it that I know definitely wasn't ours. On the second day, I was blow-drying my hair with their blow-dryer in the bathroom and it shorted out on me and blew a fuse in the bathroom. Luckily, it was close to dry so we left the room and I called the number from the website and the guy seemed to have no clue what to do but said he'd call someone to look into it. Don't most rooms have fuse boxes so I didn't have to call?
The last straw was the morning we were getting ready to leave. Again, the room was boiling but instead of cooling off, seemed to get hotter as the morning progressed. This time, instead of plugging in the blow-dryer in the bathroom, I went into the bedroom and the blow-dryer nearly electrocuted me so I had had enough. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
What's sad is that this place could have been really nice except I don't know if the owners really knew what they were doing. You could tell that the outlets in the room were not done by professional electricians (I'm guessing this is why the blow-dryer almost killed me), or that the room was sloppily painted, the baseboards just glued to the wall (they were falling off in the bedroom). It's the little things that could have made this place nice and enjoyable. Even just putting in an armoire that actually hung clothes and provided a hanger or two and putting in a tiny TV in the bedroom would have helped.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mishyb28

Travellers are raving about these Galena hotels

Chicago, IL
Reviewed 21 December 2009

New owners took over this place 1 1/2 years ago and it's NOW called 305 N. Main St. The place was recently renovated with nice floors and every room in the Bed & Breakfast has a new well-maintained jacuzzi hottub. I was shocked to see how nice the place was and how friendly the owner, Dave, was when we were there for the weekend.
Highly recommended right in the middle of everything on Main St. Dave took us on a tour of all 7 available rooms and they blew my mind about how nice they were for the price. Great deal for the price and I plan on bringing my family here the next time we visit Galena.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Terrible, Terrible Experience

I have stayed in Galena several times at various B&B's. This time we decided to try an inn to save some money on our anniversary weekend. However the weekend was already ruined with the untimely death of my grandmother. We called to cancel the reservation because the funeral was the day we checked in but since we didn't cancel 7 days in advance (the website has conflicting information, the home page says 72 hrs and the room page says 7 days) this was unacceptable to the policy standards so we had to come or be out $350.

So after the funeral we arrived at Carrie's Vintage Inn

1) The room we got is not the room I originally picked; I picked suite 1 we got the "jungle suite".

2) There is NOT a fireplace in the room as advertised. It was an electric fireplace or space heater.

3) The bed was a full size bed-not the queen bed advertised.

4) There is NO WAY the "suite" was worth the $170 per night based on the false advertising on the website

The whole experience was extremely upsetting and disappointing, I do not recommend staying at this Inn while in Galena there are plenty more options with better accommodations, nicer hosts, and better rates.

Stayed November 2007