Avery on Prospect Hill Guest House Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Galena
See available hotels
DeSoto House Hotel(Galena)
  • Pool
Worldmark Galena(Galena)
  • Pool
All reviewsbreakfast was deliciousb binn keepersevery morningwithin walking distancefront porchhome away from homedowntown galenawonderful experiencewedding anniversarycraigwineilhistory
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Just wanted to add our kudo's to our hosts and the Avery House. This was the best experience we have ever had at a B & B. Our friends who joined us there had never been to a B & B before...Craig and Leslie have set the bar pretty darned high for them! Thanks a bunch guys...if you read this. We would never hesitate to recommend you and your lovely home and great cooking! Kathi and Allan

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HuskerKate
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We have been to the Avery four times and each time it feels a little like "going home". The owners, Craig and Leslie, obviously love what they are doing. The Avery is absolutely beautiful. From the fantastic living room with its antiques and inviting sitting area to the cozy rooms with the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in away from home. Our favorite room is the Lydia Rebecca. It cost about $5 more than the other rooms ( a total of 4 rooms) but is well worth it because of its size and windows on three sides. The breakfast is second to none. Home made everything and lots of it. The Avery is very centrally located. It is an easy walk into town and minutes away from a number of golf courses ( our favorite is the Galena Golf Club, don't be fooled by the easy front nine, the back is a monster). The Avery is a cut above every other B and B we have ever stayed at. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank JackJackCalifornia
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We were fortunate to get last minute reservations at Avery Guesthouse - I was a little apprehensive because I could not find many reviews. However, I should not have wasted any time worrying at all!

Avery Guesthouse was lovely. Our room (the Carrie Ann) was clean and cozy and had everything we needed - comfy bed, t.v. with DVD, private bath w/shower.

The innkeepers, Leslie and Craig, were an absolute delight. We looked forward to their breakfasts each morning - the breakfast was so good and filling that we skipped lunch every day! Also, Leslie and Craig kept us entertained with stories about their B&B and Galena, so it made for a very entertaining breakfast time.

In addition to breakfast, Craig and Leslie put out coffee, tea and dessert each evening in the common room.

Lastly, Avery Guesthouse is in a great location - just 2 blocks (less than a 5 minute walk) to the historic/shopping district.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crazyroscoe
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I truly enjoyed my experience here. I have been to other B&B's that feel like a room in someone's home, but Avery B&B has old world charm that has all the comforts of home (well better food than I can make!) with the true feel of what a B&B should be. This was my first B&B experience and it's EXACTLY what I expected a B&B to be.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Countess24
Reviewed 22 October 2007

My fiancee and I were planning our 2nd visit to Galena, 1st visit to the Annual Country Fair PLUS it happened to fall on my birthday :) so we were excited & ready for all the charms & fun of Galena. We decided to stay at a B&B for the very first time for either of us. I did lots of checking around way in advance since I knew the town would be booked pretty tight the closer to Country Fair weekend that it became. After speaking with several B&B's in Galena, I wasn't too impressed with the friendliness of the innkeepers I spoke with until I called The Avery. I spoke with Leslie DuBois (she and her husband, Craig, are the innkeepers) each time I called. She has the warmest and most inviting personality - you could just feel it even over the phone. Our room was so charming and comfortable. They had cakes / desserts, coffee & tea in the living room every evening & had it covered once it got late so it would still be there if you're a midnight snacker. Also, there is a sitting room on the second floor where all the guest rooms are where you can pick out a DVD to watch in your room, play a game of backgammon or just relax. Also in this room, there was coffee & tea set up every morning in case you wanted some before coming down to breakfast. The breakfast was good; fresh fruit, coffee, juice, eggs, english muffin, sausage, (outstanding) hash brown casserole & it was a "family style" setting where we sat with the other guests at one big dining room table. That was the only thing I would have preferred not doing as we would have liked to have individual tables but we're just a little more shy than most people lol so I'm sure most people enjoy the social aspect of dining at one big table. So if that was our only problem, then we truly didn't have one. The Avery B&B is highly recommended in our book! Leslie even gave me a nice hug after we completed the checkout procedures. I left there feeling like I just finished a lovely family visit out of town.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank clj05