“Amazing Suites”
Review of Goldmoor Inn

Goldmoor Inn
Ranked #7 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2008

The place is absolutely gorgeous! By far the nicest and largest room i have ever stayed in. Beautifully decorated and extremely clean. Even though we were there in early spring, the property is excellently maintained. Breakfast was delicious and the view from the dining room that overlooks the Mississippi is amazing. The inn keepers and staff are very hospitable. Even though you are located just a bit outside town, the drive is only 10 minutes or so... you will appreciate the peace and quiet of the countryside. Would love to go back one day! By far one of the best places to stay in galena!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 April 2008

This past week-end of March 28-29, 2008--Galena, IL featured its annual "Wine Tasting Week-end". Many area restaurants and B&B's and hotels participated in this event by offering special wine-tasting menus.

My husband and I had never visited Galena, IL before and have heard great things about this little resort town. We ended up booking our stay at another B&B south of town, but will likely make our next reservations at the Goldmoor Inn.

We did, however, dine at the Goldmoor Inn's wonderful "Wine-Tasting" meal on Saturday, March 29th. This enhanced menu offered an optional wine flight and 12-course meal. The food was wonderful, as was the service from the Beverage Manager, Brian, and a visiting wine/beverage guest from the Moet & Chandon company. My husband and I have lived in IL for 3-1/2 years and this was among our finest meal during that entire time. It was very clear that the Inn's young chef, Dion Block, took extra care and that a lot of planning went into the preparation of this meal.

This Inn offers a nice 7-course wine tasting menu each week-end, so my husband and I plan on doing this on our next visit to Galena.

We highly recommend this Inn and its restaurant and enjoyed speaking with the Inn's owner, Patricia, after our dining event.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Our recent trip to Galena was to enjoy wine lovers weekend. There were many events planned in Galena, as well as at the Goldmoor Inn. When we arrived on Friday, we were pleasantly surprised by the very attentive greeting and explanation of the inn. Our room was absolutely beautiful, very spacious and simple (not the typical lace and scary wallpaper you typically see at a B&B). The amenities provided in the room alone left us very excited for our stay at the Goldmoor.
The dining experience honestly blew us away. Friday night, we enjoyed a wine tasting and canapés in the kitchen (very professional looking kitchen), and the food was amazing. On Saturday, we took part in the amazing twelve course dinner with wine pairing (everything the chef prepared was unbelievable, he is very talented). Whether you're in Galena for a celebration or just to relax dining at the Goldmoor is an absolute MUST!!

My husband and I enjoyed every minute we stayed at the Goldmoor and look forward to returning there in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrsg7707
Reviewed 28 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Goldmoor Inn during a getaway weekend in Galena for our 15th anniversary and in the process found a new favorite place to stay! I was very impressed with the quality of the room and the many personal touches the innkeepers give to their guests.

The girl at check-in was cordial and happily answered any questions we had. We discovered that there was a nice selection of movies and music CDs available in a room by the front desk - completmentary - for use during our stay. When we walked into our suite, the lights were dimmed, and soft music was playing on the sound system. It was a very romantic, relaxing, personal and warm atmosphere to walk into after a long drive up to Galena.

I had chosen the Arthur suite, as the decor seemed elegant from the pictures on the web site. We were not one bit disappointed. The suite is much, much better than the picture on the website - very spacious, clean, well arranged and elegantly furnished. The furniture and decor are very nice and worked very well together.

The main door to the suite opens to a small foyer with a door to the main room. It's a great place to leave your coat and shoes. The Arthur suite features a King sized bed, lighted clothing closet, remote controlled ceiling fan, gas fireplace with 2 sitting chairs on each side, in-room 2 person whirlpool tub, and a nicely equipped kitchenette and bathroom. One of the chairs beside the fireplace had a soft throw blanket draped on the back of it - a nice touch. The two person whirlpool tub in the far corner of the room overlooked a wonderful view. The lights above the tub and fireplace may be dimmed, along with other areas of the room. In the bathroom we had a heated towel bar rack and a real hair dryer (not those tiny wall units in most rooms). In addition to the usual soaps, lotions and shampoo/conditioner and shower cap items typically left in hotel bathrooms, we were also given dusting powder, lip balm, QTips, cotton balls and a vanity pack that had makeup remover cloths, sewing kit and small emery board.

Next to the whirlpool tub was an beautiful armoire with a tv, dvd player, sound system and satellite offering a lot of different complementary movie and entertainment channels. The music selection was excellent - many different genres.

The kitchenette included sink, small refridgerator, coffee machine, microwave, table service, and very nice table and chairs with a grand view of the valley beyond the parking area. Regular and decaf coffee were provided along with different flavors of cream and sugars, if you want to make coffee. The refridgerator had complementary soda, juice and bottled water. There were cookies and a nice welcome letter that listed the weather for the day left in the kitchen area each day of our stay.

The Inn is very quiet and secluded. We watched deer roam around the grounds the first night of our stay - it was so beautiful. I truly felt at home there, and didn't feel like we were in a hotel room.

My only regret is that we didn't do dinner at the inn, however plan to do so the next time we stay. The complementary breakfast each morning was excellent! The first morning we ate in the dining room and the second in the room. The staff brought the breakfast up to our room shortly after our call and set up everything on the table for us. Each meal was declicious and artfully arranged.

I can't wait to stay at the Goldmoor again. It is well worth every penney and more.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mindyhere
Reviewed 27 January 2008

The Goldmoor Inn was highly recommended by a fellow co-worker and I'm very glad I took her advice. My husband and I stayed at the Goldmoor Inn for our anniversary and had an excellent experience. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food was delicious (loved the gourmet dinner and breakfast delivered to our room), and our suite was beautiful and clean. We had no complaints whatsoever and will definitely stay there again when we're in Galena!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2008

My husband and I booked another B&B near Galena to stay for our 20th wedding anniversary. It turned out to be a dump. We had to stay the night because it was late and we couldn't leave due to a snowstorm.
At 7:30am the next morning I called the Goldmoor Inn. I already had an anniversary dinner booked at the Goldmoor Restaurant so I called to see if they could accomodate us. Patricia (one of the owners) answered the phone and told us to pack our bags and they would take us in way before the 3pm check-in time. We got there (at 8:30am) and the Inn was beautiful! They checked us in and gave us breakfast even though we didn't stay the night before. We couldn't believe the genuine hospitality. The room was beautiful and the staff was so accomodating. We had a wonderful dinner at the Chef's table; they even made a change for us to their prix fixe dinner because my husband and I don't like chocolate cake. I can't say enough about our experience. The rooms are large and very private and quiet; and most importantly clean! There is a beautiful sitting area in the upper level of the main house where we sat, drank wine and watched the snow fall. Patricia and Jim and Chef Dion truly saved our anniversary. I highly recommend the hotel and restaurant and we will be back there soon.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We stayed in one of the two log cabins on the site and were very pleased with everything. We were always made to feel as if we were the only couple staying with them! When we arrived, we were greeted (as we were getting out of our vehicle) by the owners daughter. She got us checked in, then took us over to our cabin. She carefully explained all the features of the cabin, then stayed (at our prompting) a bit to talk about the property. Very nice girl, and very proud of her Mom and Stepdad. BTW---Pat, if you get ready to do something with the former pond area, an English country flower garden would be fantastic! They had the flowers I had requested, nicely arranged and waiting for us. We didn't get a chance because of our schedule, to dine in, but the breakfast both days we were there were wonderful!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple