Goldmoor Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and i got married in 2012 in the Goldmoor Inn and we could'nt have chosen a better place for that! It was the perfect day in the perfect location which can't be more beautiful, right next to the Mississippi. The Hotel itself is very well cared for, the rooms are just a dream come true. Very elegant and high-class. We would give 5 more stars if we could!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kukic

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Goldmoor was wonderful to me and my girlfriend (who left as my fiance). I had called less than a week before I was hoping to book and was pleased that they had a room available still. I spoke with Erica on the phone and she was super helpful. I knew I wanted to propose that weekend but wasn't sure what type of help they could provide. They had a bouquet of roses and a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we entered our room. We stayed in the Turret Suite which was breathtaking. Erica said she could reserve the Gazebo for us to eat dinner but it far exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a gazebo with a few tables but instead we had the entire thing to ourselves. There was tulle streaming, candles lit, and soft music playing. Our waitress was very personable and gave us the perfect amount of conversation/privacy. Finally, they came out to offer a picture of us overlooking the river at sunset. That was my cue to get my knee dirty. I proposed and they were able to get some amazing photos of me proposing (this was important to me). Every staff member seemed informed, yet was very secretive and they all seemed genuinely happy for us. Hopefully we can return sometime soon. It was our first trip to Galena and was definitely a memorable one. The hospitality we received was fantastic. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: Turret suite is the way to go
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacob J
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We took advantage of the Goldmoor's November special.....getting a free day if your stay included a Tuesday. We were in the Irish Cottage which was very nice and the unique shower was a plus. The fireplace was nice on the chilly November evenings. Even though the furniture was starting to show it's age...it was still cozy and comfortable. The breakfast's in the lodge were very nice although they did not have something simple like English Breakfast tea....just herbal teas....maybe because it was off season they did not stock up on basics.

For those staying in the cottage...be aware that you can hear the freight trains going through the area. It was not bad...in fact the sound was kind of soothing. But if you do not like the sound of trains...stay in the main building.

Room Tip: Chose your room carefully!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary.
Because of the rave reviews and the pictures this place looked fabulous! As they say don't judge a book by it's cover.
We arrived after dark and the entrance is not clearly marked as others had pointed out-we just assumed we were using the correct door (to their credit there was lighted greenery around the main door). Even a small lighted sign that said welcome by that door or a light above the door would help to clear any confusion up. Upon arriving we were welcomed kindly. When we got to our room they had music playing but not lights on...kind had trouble find these-thanks to our Iphones that had flashlights.

MEAL: We had paid for a candle lit meal which we used the night we arrived. The only candle light was a small candle in a holder (which every table had)-this wasn't a deal breaker just not what we expected when paying for a candle lit meal. We were seated in a booth that was away from most people, it was romantic, our view was the Christmas tree lit up outside-very pretty. This was also the night where they had the package for Christmas caroling so we were able to hear some of the caroling from where we were as well. The food over all was great! If we were to go back we would go back for the food. The presentation was beautiful but we both got potatoes and they were luke warm. The salads and the lemon dessert were AMAZING! When we were finished Sue (our waitress)gave us a tour of the table in the kitchen where you can eat-it's really neat and would fit 8 people comfortably-it's like a nice dinning room with one wall out that is towards the kitchen prep area. It would be a fun thing to do with friends! The manager/owner also came around during our meal and check on us-which it was nice to meet her. Breakfast was also great both mornings!!
ACCOMMODATIONS: Our first night when we went to go to bed there was a spider between the top comforter and the top sheet. We went out an talked to the person at the front desk & were informed that he would talk to the manager and see what they could do for us. When asked what we think should be done we told him money off the room. For the price we paid...there should be NO spiders on our bed! Once back to our room I checked for more...I didn't see any but there were webs back by the baseboards/headboard area. Upon checking out we asked what was done about it and there had been NOTHING done about it and the manager was clearly unaware of it as there was no 'notes' on our check out paper work. So we were again told that the manager would be made aware and she would email me this week (currently I have not heard from her). She then proceeded to tell me that it's the country, it's cold out & everything is just wanting to come in. I told her that we live in the country, grew up on farms and we spray for ours. She apologized and then proceeded to tell me that sometimes there is nothing you can do to keep them out. OK, I can understand that to a small degree but when you are having people paying $300+ for a room to stay in for the night it’s clear something is getting over looked! As far as bed comfort I am not the person to ask but my husband said they were really comfortable. The train that goes by didn't bother us-we never heard it once at night.
MASSAGES: We both loved ours & the room was very relaxing!
OVERALL: the rooms are nice and spacious. The Jacuzzi is huge & there is enough hot water to fill them up. The gas fire places are also nice and look real. They have Direct TV so there is a lot to choose from there. With the package we got I received roses- they are beautiful & they good quality. Over all it’s a nice place but to us it just wasn't worth $300+ a night so we wont’ be back to stay but we may go back to eat!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 83Cowgirl
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was indeed a fantastic experience. The food, presentation, and service was exceptional. Our server Sue was very attentive to all of our request and needs. This is a must visit if you decide to come to Galena. I know that I will dine here again. Fantastic experience in every area. Gwendolyn O.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Second time here in a decade ... why did I wait so long to return!???
We walked in after being horrified by another place in town that had been booked by a work colleague ... remembered this place; walked in and were offered a huge room, complete with King sized bed, double "jacuzzi", kitchenette, and lots of SPACE, privacy and room to breathe!
Staff couldn't have been more friendly; view fine and even though it rained the whole time, the Inn made up for it. Dinner was great too.
View is great, better in the summer. Trains can just be heard but not enough to spoil the experience.
It IS pricey, but from what we saw of other places in town, it's worth every penny!
It is 5 miles from town, but we didn't mind one bit.

Room Tip: Don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandy S
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding dinner here and it was wonderful. Then we decided to have our wedding dinner here as well. The service and food was wonderful. We had the beef Wellington and it was so tender. No complaints. It is a wonderful restaurant. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple