“THE place for those with class in Galena.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #9 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago
“THE place for those with class in Galena.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I spent three nights at Irish Hollow in January 2014 for an anniversary getaway. I saw the inn online several years ago and this was our first opportunity to get to Galena. I'm picky and I'm certain it is the only place for us to lodge in or near Galena. The idea of bed and breakfasts are always appealing, but too often the lodgings look like Grandma's attic circa 1982, but the cottages at Irish Hollow are classy and updated.

We stayed in the Stonewood cottage. Hands down, stay in one of the cottages. It seemed to me that they would be equally pleasing, but definitely better than upstairs in a room of the main home (general store). The cottage was spacious and very comfortable. The innkeepers have put much thought into the design and finishings of the room so that you have everything you need. The furnishings are upscale, clean, and comfortable.

The food was tasty (and plentiful!). You can tell that thought is put into eating seasonally and locally even though we visited during the winter.

Plenty of options nearby for a several day trip, but I was just as happy lazing around the cottage with the fireplace roaring with a book and a glass of wine for the whole day. Look no further.

Room Tip: Cottages for sure. Loved stonewood. Two of the cottages seemed to be under one roof, but stonewood...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Spent a wonderful snowy weekend at Irish Hallow.It was our first time there and definitely will not be our last.From the minute we arrived it was like stepping back in time,some of the Christmas decorations were still up in the dining area they were beautiful! We stayed in the Postmaster room very warm and charming not a big room but it was fine as we spent little time in our room. Matthew and the staff were wonderful and friendly. Our breakfast ever morning was absolutely wonderful,so much attention to detail you can tell they love what they do. We were never rushed at any of our meals which was so relaxing! Our 7 course dinner on Saturday night was spectacular next time we would love to stay in one of their beautiful cottages. You wont be disappointed staying here!

• Stayed January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights in the Wells Fargo room. I agree with the last review that I would stay in a cottage next time and the bathroom in the Wells Fargo room does need some TLC. My husband was too tall for the bathtub shower. haha. The room is fine. Very comfy bed and lovely fireplace.

The food and customer service is top notch. Matthew was wonderful. You can tell he cares about the inn and the guests. The grounds are peaceful and relaxing. My husband and I went on a snowy walk on the grounds and it was beautiful. I can't wait it go back - the food is the highlight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
janesville, WI
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was afraid we might be disappointed just getting the room above the general store (Well's Fargo Room) instead of a cottage but the room was spacious and very comfortable. We loved the fireplace with 2 cozy chairs. Everything was beautifully decorated. The bed was a queen size and softer than we are used to. Bath could have used some updating. Tub drain was rusty so I wasn't tempted to take a bath in that lovely old fashioned tub. Next time I'd stay in one of the cottages. The dining room in the General Store was very cold. We ate 3 meals here. I wore my winter coat and scarf to every meal.
The food was one of the highlights of my life. I am in awe. I found the breakfasts to be quite lengthy affairs so don't plan a tight schedule. I wish I could come here just to eat. it would be worth several hours drive!

Room Tip: The tub in the Well's Fargo Room wasn't great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
long grove
Reviewed 8 December 2013

a beautiful,secluded couples getaway. we enjoyed our special time here to refuel and to be together. so cozy,delicious and romantic!it was off the beaten path near some beautiful farms. you can take lovely walks, and enjoy the scenery, or just stay put. you can get a massage if you want,have dinner and breakfast and just feel so seclude and private. we totally enjoyed our stay and will save up to return!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sherrie g
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Matthew and the team at The Inn at Irish Hollow made our Thanksgiving absolutely fantastic. We were a small group of four and we occupied two rooms in the main house, both were very comfortable and each with a seating area around a fireplace, which was greatly appreciated during the very cold few days we were there. The food was exceptional and we truly enjoyed every moment of our visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanna C
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We just came back from our first weekend at Irish Hollow . . . and it is all we can talk about. Everything was absolutely magical and beautiful, and the owners and innkeepers are some of the most genuine, thoughtful, and considerate people you could ever meet. We've been home two days and are already talking about "remember when" and planning our next trip. There is no other place on earth like Irish Hollow . . . but please know this is a place for romance and relaxation. Leave your troubles and kids behind! My husband and I loved our time together at Irish Hollow -- and found ourselves so immersed in the moment we truly felt like we were in another time and place.

Room Tip: We LOVED the Gardener's cottage, but from what we can tell, ALL the accommodations are truly spe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple