“Wonderful 25th Anniversary Get-away!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #10 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our weekend started by a warm welcome from Matthew who was picking fresh herbs from the garden, then headed to our amazing Station House Cottage with champagne and strawberries for a surprise! The Cottage could not have been decorated more perfect, warm rich tones with each and every detail tailored to fit our cottage. Sheets to die for and an organic mattress that engulfed our bodies. We woke to acres and acres of wooded and well groomed trails to walk off our veggie omelet, with potato wedges, fresh fruit and heavenly chocolate and fruit scones!
Dinner was a show stealer! Candlelight, a bottle of wine and 16 new friends that shared a meal that was second to none! I am not sure what was our favorite, the roasted chicken soup, the rack of lamb or the country farmhouse biscuit with rhubarb and strawberry compote!
The accommodations were amazing, the food was killer, the beautifully kept ground were breathtaking, but the service was impeccably warm and welcoming!
Close to town, but yet secluded. If you go, we would recommend a Cottage. Summer was beautiful, but the pictures of Christmas time looks great too!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulieCR1

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'd say the owners of this place have thought of everything. All the details are right, nice accomodations, nice toiletries, pretty close to gourmet food, and numerous ways to customize your visit. We had a wine, cheese and fruit platter waiting for us when we arrived, and it almost too beautiful to eat--but we did. It was amazing, and really set the tone for the weekend. From the rustic porch with a great view of the hummingbirds, to seven-course romantic dinner on Saturday set in the old shop with a view of the country road which passes in front and the scenic country in the background, we enjoyed every bit of this place. My wife was gluten-free, and at every meal there was special attention paid to her diet. Kudos to the owners and creators of this very special getaway!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Inn, it was wonderful. Maybe someday we can return and stay in a cottage, which lo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from staying in the Station House Cottage to celebrate our 15 year anniversary. It was amazing. The cottage was beyond our expectations and the grounds were beautiful. The food was exquisite. The staff was warm and inviting. We also took advantage of an on-site couples massage. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank GilmoreIowa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We recently stayed here in the Station House Cottage. It was everything that we hoped for: absolutely gorgeous, great food and off the beaten path. You check in at the main building which is historic country. The cottage though was every level of pampering from the sheets too the soaking tub to the shower to the chocolate covered strawberries and champagne that awaited us. Oh yea, the unexpected, when we opened our door we were greeted by beautiful instrumental music playing in the cottage. It set the tone for an excellent get away.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kirk M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Years ago, my wife and I used to go to a bed & breakfast for our anniversary, but after it closed 4 years ago we have been a little lost without an annual destination. A friend recommended checking out the Galena area, and after checking out some of the Galena area B&B's I stub led across the Irish Hollow Inn. The amenities and photography of the property blew us away.

We were not disappointed! The setting is very beautiful and a true escape from the daily grind. It is located about 20 minutes from downtown Galena along one of the most fun roads to drive in Illinois. I own a two seater sports car and loved the opportunity to drive to and from town. The last mile or so, before the Inn is gravel, but dust washes off.

We were greeted by a cheerful and courteous Vincent, who got us checked in and settled. We decided to go with the Postmaster room at the Inn, and we were very pleased with the bed, seating, fireplace and private bath. This room was a little small but very comfortable and the Inn provides a delightful living room and porch for Inn guests to use.

The property is truly serene and we did get to explore the trails a little with amazing views of the "hollow" below. They took such care with the paths and creating small seating areas with fire pits. The views from up above were really amazing.

The one caution I would offer is this is located in the country. Literally. It is an environment I grew up around and enjoy but it may not be for everyone. There are cows, birds, narrow twisting roads and bugs out on the trails. If you are looking for the Bellagio and marble floors, this may not be for you. If you are looking for top rate service and food, memories to last a lifetime set in a unique environment, look no further.

We actually met a woman at a winery on our way to the Inn, and overheard her talking about it. I asked her about it and she just lit up. She had been 3 times before and said over and over how much her and her husband LOVED staying there. She went on to rave about the food and repeatedly said how jealous she was of us this weekend. She was not exaggerating at all.

The setting is amazing. The service from Vincent and Bill is passionate and top notch. The attention detail is unparalleled. But the food. The food was out of this world. The setting of this dining room set inside a quant former General Store and post office built in 1860 surrounds you with so much history. The front windows look out across the farm fields and hills opposite the Inn. The breakfasts were amazing, but the SEVEN course dinner on Saturday was out of this world. Really, truly exceptional. I would love to describe every course and ingredient but I know my words will not do it justice, other than to say you will not be dissapointed.

I have had he pleasure of traveling and staying in fine hotels and eating in fine restaurants literally all over the world. From New York to LA to Tokyo and Paris, I found our meals at the Irish Hollow Inn within this quant setting outside Galena, Il to be one of the finest I remember.

Our visit was really the complete package. Top to bottom. It wasn't just one thing it was all details moments and touches. I wish I could leave a negative review and keep this place undiscovered, but like the woman we met at the winery, we are now lifelong fans.

Room Tip: I'm 6'-4" and chose the postmasters room as it does not have a footboard on the bed and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David L
Reviewed 1 June 2014

What a beautiful place. Service was amazing, food was delicious. We stayed in the Gardener's Cottage. It was big, and well decorated. I would put all of those beautiful pieces in my own home.

The breakfast everyday was tasty, so fresh. We had a multiple course dinner at the Inn, and each course was spectacular. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice quiet gateway.

We went into the town and ate at Log Cabin Steakhouse, great food, and then walked around the shops.

P.S. everyone talks about the sheets at this hotel, and they are incredible, next time we go back, we will buy a set for our own bed.

Room Tip: Gardener's Cottage seems to be the best :)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I can't say enough good things about the Inn. I stayed with my husband in the french maid's cottage. It was so cute, so comfy..LOVED the bed and especially the linens. Chocolate and champagne greeted us....a great fireplace, with plenty of wood and starters made for a lovely day by the fire. they had games to play, the cottage was nice and spacious, the kitchen area had two small mini fridges - which was great. Loved the sitting area. The breakfast and dinner were amazing - best breakfast I have had in my life! All meals were candlelit. During dinner, my husband brought his own beer and when he ran out, they brought some of their stock out. The staff was so friendly - we even hung out after dinner just to talk. Definitely follow their directions to get there - google will take you the long way. I also would have loved to take my dogs (two small cav spaniels, less than 14 lbs) but pups are not allowed :(

One message to management - please please please invest in a water softener or filtration system. Water that smells like rust is not good. You took such care to have a beautiful shower and jetted tub in the rooms but the water...yikes. I filled up the jetted tub to relax after my massage and it was brown rusty water -- the jets didn't help as it just kicked up the hard water deposits.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple