“Finally!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #9 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We finally found a place we can now go to every year to celebrate our anniversary. We have been looking for 7 years to find the one and we did! The minute we walked in the door we were impressed by the attention to details. The gourmet food is impeccable, all natural and homemade. It shows they care about their customers and want them to experience an amazing place.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2009

This was a great weekend. The food was amazing... the host was fantastic.... the rooms were gorgeous. You cannot go wrong!!! Even if you never leave your room/cottage you will love the Irish Hollow!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2008

The desire to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary close to home, brought us to the Inn at Irish Hollow. The moment we opened the door to The Gardener's Cottage, music from the perfectly placed speakers in the ceilings brought us in, along with the crackling stone fireplace.

The cottage was decorated for the holidays in lush reds, golds, and greens.

Yes, there were homemade chocolates and wine waiting for us in the fridge. Yes, the bathroom is grand and the bed is inviting.

Oh, and the food. Gosh, it was a beautiful combination of fresh, fancy, and oh so filling. The seven course meal on the first night of our getaway took our palates to so many levels. Matthew, our gracious chef, brought each course out with explanation, answering questions in the most kind and enthusiastic manner.
Breakfast could be delivered to your cottage or in the main home (general store). Opportunities to purchase homemade goodies, mugs with the Inn's logo and the like are ready to be wrapped up so the memories can linger at home as well.
Hope I can convey how special they make you feel - attention to details make this a perfect way to escape with a loved one.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 October 2008

My husband surprised me with a weekend at the Inn at Irish Hollow and it was absolutely perfect. The inn has 5 rooms in what was once a general store and 3 cottages on their property. We stayed in the the inn itself. Room was large, beautifully decorated,with a gas fireplace and wonderfully, large, comfy bed. There are no tv's or phones in room (we were able to get cell service and the Inn has a phone for use)-it was wonderful. Food is some of the best I have ever had-everything fresh with fresh locally grown herbs. Do not miss the 7 course dinner on Friday night. This is a place for couples only-all dining tables are for 2 as are all rooms and cottages. We met a couple that have been going to the inn once or twice a year for over 10 years. They stayed in one of the cottages and were nice enough to show it to us and once I get my kids out of college- I will stay in one too! The atmosphere is relaxed, calm and quiet-no fancy dress required. All staff is friendly and helpful. We had wonderful cookies and homemade candies left in our room every night. The Inn can book up a year in advance for popular weekends and so my husband really got lucky as he called less than 2 weeks before. We have already made our reservation for next October.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 7 October 2008

I needed a place to stage my engagement and had thought of Galena many times and thought it would be the perfect time to visit. I looked around for a few weeks and kept coming back to the Inn at Irish Hollow. After many phone calls and speaking with Matthew, the Inn Keeper, I was convinced this would be the perfect place to stay for a long weekend and do my proposal.

The trip there to Galena was nice and scenic, about 2 hours from Chicago NW suburbs. Once we pulled off of the main route (Rt. 20) we eventually were on a gravel road. I and my fiance were getting a little scared where we were going. She had no idea what or where we were going and I was getting scared it looked better on the website then in person. We passed it the first time and then came back. The main house is an old charming General Store that also doubles as the main dining area, check in area and houses 3 guest rooms.

We stayed at the Station House. This is one of their newest cottages and is the upper portion and partially attached with another new unit. When we went into our cottage, it blew us away. It was like watching Extreme Home Makeover! You immediately hear the surround sound playing nice music, greeted by a raised bedroom area overlooking the main living room where a fire place shared a wall with the bathroom. The living room had hardwood cherry finish flooring and very comfortable couch and dinning room table off to the side. You walk into the bathroom suite and it was amazing. There was a large sink, huge hot tub area, a shower which had 8 shower heads in it (human carwash!) and of course the fireplace that shared a wall with the living room. There are not enough words to describe this place.

They served us dinner that Friday night. It was a 7 course meal that took over 2 hours to complete. Everything was fresh and they choose their meals based on what is fresh at the market and cook organically. You could taste every flavor and their appearance and design of the food was that of a fancy restaurant. The innkeeper, Matthew was our server and fantastic as well. He also helps prepare a lot of the food. Breakfast is a three course meal and just as good. The biggest problem was being able to eat everything. You have the option of having breakfast at the main building or in your room. We did both.

The greatest part of the Inn at Irish Hollow was how they helped me stage my proposal. I wanted to do a picnic, we worked together putting together a basket and they prepared a 5 course meal which included, food, wine, desert, and many other tasty courses. They set it up across from them on an old abandoned bridge. There was a table waiting for us set and ready to go. I brought our ipod and docking station for music. We ate, rested, ate, rested and then danced. That is when I asked her to marry me. It was great, the food, the weather, the location, everything.

We also enjoyed the walking trails, biked along the nearby roads, and took part in a hot stone massage. I highly recommend the massage.

This place was worth every penny. The food, accommodations, service is top notch. It does not appear they try hard, but everything is perfect there, they work very hard to make sure its that way for every guest. Matthew the inn keeper, is a major component of that, he deserves a lot of credit. We are in our late 20's and met many coupled in all age ranges. One was even getting married in their cottage with just them and their minister.

We will definitely have this place in our future again, perhaps an anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2008

My husband & I just came back from this incredible jewel in the country, 9 miles from downtown Galena. We arrived at the old General Store and met Mathew. He was so hospitable and had stories of the history of this lovely compound. I looked this B&B up on-line and pictures did not do it justice. We stayed in the new garden cottage. All I said for about the first hour when
we entered our cottage was WOW! BEAUTIFUL! I'd like to replicate every detail for my own home. We had a living room, a sitting area in front of the fireplace, a porch, a comfortable king bed area, and the largest bath area I've ever seen. I took so many pictures of just the inside. I actually hated to leave to go into town. We had a nice surprise of hand made chocolates and champagne waiting for us in the refrigerator.I took every advantage, we light the fireplace and took a whirlpool herbal bath after a long day of shopping and sightseeing. In the morning, we took a shower in the huge carwash shower. Breakfast was in the General Store with hand squeezed orange juice, the most perfect fruit plate, artfully arranged, homemade warm pumpkin cranberry muffins and a quesadilla filled with sausage, spices and topped with poached eggs in a light hollandaise sauce with fresh dill. How nice to be so pampered. You could not find this kind of ambiance or quality of food anywhere. Thank You for such a wonderful time there. We do plan to go back. I hope our delightful experience brings you many more guests.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 August 2008

The Inn is true to its name, down in a little hollow outside Galena. When we arrived, there was some construction in the main house (where we had reserved) so they gave us the French Maid's Cottage. I would live there if I could -- the bed was comfortable, the place beyond charming, the stars at night so bright, the owners kind, the gardens beautiful and the food wonderful. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple