“Magic...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
The Inn at Irish Hollow
Ranked #9 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 December 2009

This place with the snow on the ground, the romance of the cottages - the most amzing breakfast's... relaxtion - it's truly magical. The 7 course dinner was not my favorite for 2 reasons... I am not a big eater (even my husband found it hard to eat it all) and secondly, there were things that I don't like. You don't get to pick what you want, they serve everyone the same thing. That was the only thing that I wasn't crazy about. Everything else about the place is like a fairy tale. I told my husband that I feel like I am a princess when we go there. We love to have breakfast when we travel and this place totally rocks the breakfast! You won't be needing lunch!! It's the perfect place to get into the holiday spirit. If I had to use one word to describe the Inn at irish Hollow... MAGIC!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 September 2009

I have to say that this place is truly a gem. We arrived at night and were a bit nervous driving up the very dark and narrow road that leads you to the Inn ... but the moment we walked into the General Store (the entrance to the Inn) we were immediately at ease. The staff is attentive, friendly and no detail is overlooked. Our cottage was beautiful, the food fantastic and for a weekend we forgot the worries of our busy, hectic lives.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I decided to go to Irish Hollow based on other TripAdvisors and their pictures. Pictures are important. Most of you posted good pictures. However, the experiences you have at this Inn outweighs any pictures that can be posted. Picture the rolling hills of Ireland. You have arrived. Walk into the lobby which is an old General Store; perhaps out of the "Little House on the Prairie" or "The Waltons". It is genuine. Tables are set up for breakfast and supper diners. The Waltons or Little House did not have a Matthew or a Tony. Matthew and Tony make sure you feel the past and relish in the present. If you have booked a cabin, you may receive a breakfast and a dinner. We had two nights in the Stone Wood. The cabin was beautiful. Hardwood floors, 4 poster bed, mini kitchen, double whirpool tub, separate shower, living room; see through stone fireplace (working wood); private backporch-all decorated in deep colors of golds and reds, utilizing antiques appropriately. You will feel the calm of your relationship. The building is only 10 years old, but it has a feeling of complete moderness in the past.
Walk the path to the general store for breakfast. There were 3 other diners with us the first morning. Breakfast was broiled grapefruit with brown sugar and perhaps some grand marnier. Second course was a HUGE chocolate chip muffin. Third course was a plate of fluffy eggs with fresh herbs; twisted brown sugared bacon (yuuuummmm); and sweet corn cakes with chili pepper cream/salsa piled on top. The sweet corn was from preseves the Inn put up last fall. Everything is as fresh as they can get.
We were then on our own to explore downtown or nap. We explored downtown however; we felt like a nap after that meal. Oh yes, all with unlimited coffee and orange juice.
We were then to appear back at the general store at 7pm for our 7 course gourmet dinner. We were the only ones there. Candelight - wine - Mozart - and then the most unbelievable meal we have ever had. We walked from our cabin through a beautiful dimly lit garden of hostas' and statues. Sitting down at our table for two, Matthew brought us a teenie plate of cheese stuffed apricots, wrapped with bacon. I can't remember the cheese, but it was nothing you find without looking for it. It was wonderful - a tease. The next course was a slice of heaven; an eggplant sliced lengthwise, grilled, rolled and stuffed with another piece of heaven; mixed parmesan;eggs;creamy, fluffy stuff and then basil. Oh yes and garlic was in there too.
Everytime Matthew brought me another course, I beamed and clapped. Try that at Applebees.....ya, right. Third course; the most beauituf soup I have ever seen. Beet and potato soup (bright red) dressed with creme fraiche. Ate it all. Nothing left on any plates yet. Fourth course; salad; a good size salad with walnuts, baby greens, fanned sliced pear and strawberries and raspberry balsamic dressing. Yup..... It keeps coming. I believe I then got a beautiful little glass of frozen love; sorbet with bits of lemon and mint to cleanse my palate. That's never been done before...ever.
Somewhere in there was flaxseed warm homemade bread and rosemary butter. Along with the wine, every new layer of "dinner" gave me more food joy than I have ever had. My husband and I were in complete delite. Main course: filet, risotto and lemon wrapped asparagus. I actually moaned as I ate. Oh yes, the filet had a fresh morel cream spread on top with a sprig of rosemary. I had to leave half of the risotto. I couldn't breath any more. It should have gone in my purse in a baggie. It was gooooood.
Dessert; Tres DeLeches on a bed of ganache with a trellis of chocolate. Nothing to say at all - can't. I couldn't eat half of it, so Matthew wrapped it up on the plate and sent it home with me. He asked me if I wanted coffee with our dessert. It was 8:30 at night and I thought I couldn't have caffeine, and why bother with decaffeinated....however... do treat yourself to the coffee or at least the decaffeinated. I wish I would have. The chocolate would have gone perfect with the coffee. We then walked back up the hill in the dark to our cabin. The owls were singing to each other, the path was lighted and noooooo one was around. We plopped onto our couch and drank in the past two hours of pleasure and could do nothing other than go to bed......with the thoughts of a breakfast in the morning..... ya.
Breakfast on our last morning; sliced melon and strawberries; bread pudding; and then two large mounds of eggs florentine. Again, unlimited orange juice and coffee.
We were the only ones in attendance for breakfast. Tony served and we chatted for at leat an hour about the area and his passion for his land and his love for the business. And his obvious joy for food and nature.

You obviously will think the food is the best thing about our stay; you're probably right. But you must go on a hike up the back lands that the Inn owns. I am not in shape; physical; probably not even healthy; however, walk - get up to the top and sit at the two unique chairs that are put there for you. A dog named Anna may even follow you as she did us. Anna is owned by farmers down the street. Anna seemed to know I missed my dog. She let us love her and pet her for an hour or so and then she went home. She even smiled at us. The view from the top is crazy. Take your binoculars. We did. We saw bedding deer. We're pretty sure they saw us too, but we were half a mile away, so they didn't care. Horses and cows and little teeny farms in the distance and rolling, winding gravel roads.
Our cabin was clean; modern and quiet. No TV, but we took DVD's with us because we're used to the noise. Watched ONE move only. We didn't care after that.
The chocolates that were left for us were unbelievable.
This Inn provides you with everything you need to get away. Good bathroom amenities also. Good shampoo and soap. Good bath salts. Even makeup remover. I was expecting a shower hat, like all the other hotels. No shower hat! yea!!!!!
Also, very good coffee in the room to make your own pot before you go down and stuff yourself for breakfast.
This is in the country. You must expect some country things. A few bugs, stars, sounds of the night, peace and quiet, but safety and neighbors who wave.
We actually live in the country, we're used to cows and deer and sounds - but this is different.
Thanks Matthew and Tony. I couldn't have ordered anything anywhere that compares to this experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We chose the Inn at Irish Hollow to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. We didn't know what truly to expect, but we read the reviews, looked at the pictures and went for it. We got the French Maid's cabin and it was a gem. Recently completely renovatged - no detail was overlooked. The linens on the bed were fabulous and the mattress was great. The decorating details were superb. The meals were fabulous. We are very picky about our vacations and our food and this destination truly surprised us, happily so. The meals were fabulous - no namby-pamby "fat-free or reduced calorie" fare here - just real food the way God intended it! All in your face and simply wonderful, inventive and just plain yummy. You can make special requests if your diet/lifestyle require it (I feel sorry for you if you do though). We treated ourselves to a couples' hot stone massage and highly recommend to anyone who yearns for complete and utter relaxation. It was well worth every penny and was very reasonably priced. We walked the level path and were greeted by inquisitive cows and wildflowers. A very pretty and relaxing walk. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and look forward to trying out a different cabin next time for more of the same - romance, relaxation and culinary delight.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We finally found a place we can now go to every year to celebrate our anniversary. We have been looking for 7 years to find the one and we did! The minute we walked in the door we were impressed by the attention to details. The gourmet food is impeccable, all natural and homemade. It shows they care about their customers and want them to experience an amazing place.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2009

This was a great weekend. The food was amazing... the host was fantastic.... the rooms were gorgeous. You cannot go wrong!!! Even if you never leave your room/cottage you will love the Irish Hollow!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 8 December 2008

The desire to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary close to home, brought us to the Inn at Irish Hollow. The moment we opened the door to The Gardener's Cottage, music from the perfectly placed speakers in the ceilings brought us in, along with the crackling stone fireplace.

The cottage was decorated for the holidays in lush reds, golds, and greens.

Yes, there were homemade chocolates and wine waiting for us in the fridge. Yes, the bathroom is grand and the bed is inviting.

Oh, and the food. Gosh, it was a beautiful combination of fresh, fancy, and oh so filling. The seven course meal on the first night of our getaway took our palates to so many levels. Matthew, our gracious chef, brought each course out with explanation, answering questions in the most kind and enthusiastic manner.
Breakfast could be delivered to your cottage or in the main home (general store). Opportunities to purchase homemade goodies, mugs with the Inn's logo and the like are ready to be wrapped up so the memories can linger at home as well.
Hope I can convey how special they make you feel - attention to details make this a perfect way to escape with a loved one.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)