“Nice spot”
Review of Stoney Creek Inn

Stoney Creek Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel is very nice looking, inside and out. Rooms are good size, beds are decent. They have a lot of little things that add to the decor. Breakfast is part of the rate, and the area is large, and food is pretty good. Good place overall to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stumbled upon the Stoney Creek Inn while searching TripAdvisor for hotels in Galena, IL. After reading all the feed back for the various hotels in the area, it appeared this hotel had the most favorable reviews so my wife and I took a chance and booked a room for two nights. We were not disappointed. The prices are very reasonable for what you get. It was very clean and quiet with plenty of parking. We liked the north woods theme of the interior. The swimming pool was a nice temperature, not too hot or cold. There is plenty of outdoor seating to sit and read and enjoy the outdoors. The only thing we could gripe about was the placement of the towel rack in the bathroom of the room we had. The bathroom was sort of small and the towel rack is placed directly above the toilet. The towel bar had two hand towels placed on it and there were two washcloths placed on top of each hand towel. When we went to dry our hands after washing them, the slightest movement of the hand towel cause the washcloth/cloths to, (you guessed it) fall directly into the toilet below. It probably isn't that way in all of the rooms as there are some larger rooms available. If I am ever in Galena, IL in the future, I would certainly pick this hotel again.

Room Tip: I chose a room with a King bed but there were slightly smaller and larger "family" rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank indianaflats
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My mother and I stayed here in the middle of May for my first trip to Galena. Fell in love with Galena, and this little hotel was perfect for our stay. Great place for a couple of gals just bumpin' around. Clean, quiet rooms - and I loved how it was out of the Galena downtown busy area and had a Walmart right near by. The pool was seriously impressive, Mom and I enjoyed some needed relaxation all by ourselves later around 9 PM in the pool - was great! I think it helped that we visited Galena in the off season, wasn't crazy busy...of if the hotel was, it didn't show! Would definitely stay here on our next trip to Galena! Thanks for a safe stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ande L
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was our first time at a Stoney Creek property and it won't be our last. The hotel was recommended by a friend, but what really sold us was the warm welcome we received from the desk clerk, Kathy. She is a great ambassador for this hotel, helping us choose the right type of room to meet our needs and making sure we felt comfortable. The one area that could use improvement was the breakfast accommodations. The hot food items were tepid and all the plates and utensils were plastic. A neighboring hotel uses real plates and silverware. We look forward to another visit to Galena and a stay at Stoney Creek.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank roye6019
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is our third or fourth time staying at Stoney Creek Inn in Galena. We were not disappointed,
Clean rooms, nice continental breakfast and quiet. Staff is very friendly, pool is in a separate building so there is no noise from the pool area

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We had our family reunion at this hotel this past weekend 6/22/13. The rooms were very nice and clean, but disappointed there were only double beds in 2-bed rooms. Not big enough beds for us and others complained of the same. The reunion room was nice and clean but hot. AC could not keep up when people started to arrive and was too warm. Family playing instruments said their instruments got too warm and also selves. Only other complaint was the staff (just one) was rude to people and not accomadating at all. Sorry to say, we will not stay or have another family reunion at this hotel again. It is definately crossed off our list of favorites. We reserved at least 12 or 13 rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ChristineSteffen
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have stayed at another Stoney Creek in the past, but this was my husband's first experience. I knew he would love it, and he did.

Excellent service, with a quiet location. Spend a very little bit extra for an expanded king or themed suite. It is so worth it. The regular rooms are fine, but why stay in one if you can afford a few more dollars a night for something special?

The rooms are absolutely immaculate, and the beds are very comfortable. Quality all the way. The pool is exceptional, and the pictures on the website don't do it justice. Huge beamed ceiling with skylights, themed sconces, plenty of seating, both inside and outside. Great, large spa set above the pool, surrounded by rocks. There is a sauna and private pool showers. Can you tell I liked the pool?

Nice little lounge off the lobby is friendly and adequate.

If I have one slight knock on this hotel, it would be the breakfast. Powdered eggs were cooked so well done they were actually hard, and there was basic waffles and baked goods. The coffee was pretty good, but spend a couple of dollars and go to Otto's for breakfast.

We are staying here for a week in August, and I can't wait. I even requested the same room we had this time. Great job Stoney Creek!

Room Tip: I usually like a top floor location due to footsteps above, but we had no issue on the first floor...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple